Sa'eed - The Warrior

Af drmystic

(Completed) A king was fooled, a plan set in motion, his friends were either eliminated or bribed. Will a lon... Mere

Justice is certain
Shehenshah's death
Gaining access
Al-Qasr, the Palace
The last rites
Liqa - The meeting
A new beginning
The Hakeem
Ali
The Last Lesson
An accidental discovery
Shehzada Firoz Shah
Planning at night 1
Planning at night 2
Dark Forces
Bittersweet
Bestie time
The Soothsayer
The broken home
Diving deeper
The Hakeem 2
Greed
Caught red handed
Blessings
Winning hearts
Fooled
Realizations
The blast
Holding on
A spark and apology
A tough decision
Plotting
Supplication
The seams
The wedding
Another Mother
Crowning
Nikah
Void
Reunion
Preparations
The Plan
Battle
Victory
Justice
Bonds
Valima
Muhabbah- Love
Surprise

Meher

569 80 8
Af drmystic

"I feared you would never return", says Mir Jafar's wife. She is overjoyed to see me.
"How could I not Khala? I had promised you I will".

She looks a lot better. Her wounds are healing well. We are sitting in the garden. She invited me through the door when I had knocked on her window to seek permission.

"Few who visit me ever return, especially after they find out who my husband is", she says with nervous anticipation.
"He works right next to the king you had said", I remind her.
"He does", she replies.
"Then he is the Wazir-e-aala" I say.
She nods. I smile.

"Aren't you scared?", she asks still anxious.
"I am not"
"Not even if I tell you he is a man with no patience and a cruel heart? A beast who could bury you alive for having entered his house?"
"Mir Jafar doesn't scare me Khala", I say.
She is so happy she comes up to hug me. "I finally have a friend! Someone who cares for me, who comes to visit me and is not scared of my terrible husband!"

"If we are friends now then it's just right that we know each others names", I say.
"My name is Meher"
"Mine is Saeed"
"Saeed? But that's a boys name!"
"Maybe I am as good as a boy could be", I tell her with a wink.
"I don't doubt that. A girl not scared of Mir Jafar must be brave".
"So when did you get married to him?"
"When I was 16, I am almost 18 now. Its been 2 years". I look at her surprised.
"You are just a year elder to me and I have been calling you Khala", I smack my head. She gives a sad smile.
"Pain makes people look older than their years", she says.
"Tell me about your family", I ask trying to change the topic.

"We are a family of 8. My father is the Shahi Hakeem. I have 5 brothers all younger to me"
The Shahi Hakeem! Here was my key for solving the mystery of the Shehenshah's murder. It was the Shahi Hakeem who had treated the Shehenshah during his illness. If anyone knew what truly happened, it would be him! I had hit a jackpot by meeting Meher. I could use the situation for the benefit of all of us. Meher would be free of abuse and I would be free of my mission and the kingdom would be free of a villain.

"Tell me about your family", she asks.
"My family consists of just me and my mother", I say.
"I am sorry to hear that Saeed"
"You don't have to be Meher, we all have our dark clouds", I tell her. "What about Mir Jafar's other wives?"
"I rarely see them. They have a separate house in the Shahi housing. Of the two I like the second one better. She is a kindred spirit. But the eldest wife is a female version of Mir Jafar. She is not someone you can cross easily".
"How many children do they have?", I ask.
"2 sons from the eldest wife. Mir Faseeh and Mir Tabrez. 1 son, Mir Saleem from the second wife".

The garden we are sitting in is beautiful. It has flowering creepers crawling all over. A small pond in between is overflowing with Lilies. The sweet smell of Jasmine is intoxicating. We are seated on a divan with numerous cushions. I look at Meher, a pretty lady sitting among such splendor. A stranger will consider her to be the most blessed woman on earth. She has a powerful husband, a palatial house, servants at her command and a face to be proud of. Truly appearances can be deceptive. What is the use of having blessings when you couldn't even enjoy them? Peace of heart and happiness are everything. The happiest man on earth is not judged by materialistic things but by satisfaction and peace. I drink the tea placed before me.

"If you are the daughter of Shahi Hakeem then you have lived in the Shahi housing all your life?"
"Not all my life. We shifted here when I was around 7 years old. Before that we lived in the Gharib Kothri. Where do you live Saeed?"
She had shifted in a year after we had moved out.
"I live right at the edge of the Capital where the city ends and the forest starts"
"Don't you get lonely with no neighbors?"
"It's kind of peaceful. We do get visitors though"
"You must be used to quiet life. How did you find me Saeed?"
"I heard your moaning and followed it"
"Were you in the Shahi housing at that time?", she asks.
"No I was outside the wall, I jumped in after climbing a tree".
She looks at me aghast. "Did you come the same way today?"
"Yes I did", I tell her.
"Whoever heard of a girl climbing trees and coming to rescue people in pain?"
"Whoever heard of a woman who tolerates her abusive husband day after day?" I hit back.
"I am helpless Saeed. If I try to resist him or fight back he will hurt my family. And if they try to stand up against him he tortures me. We are trapped. Neither are they happy nor am I. Our life has been cursed since my father accepted the job of Shahi Hakeem", she says in desperation.
"Do you trust me Meher?" I ask.
"If I didn't, I wouldn't be taking the risk of allowing you in my house and accepting you as my friend"
"If you trust me then listen to me, I have a plan"

It takes me 15 minutes to sketch out the idea for her. She looks scared when I am done.
"I can't do it", she says shaking her head vigorously.
"Haven't you had enough of this tortured life? Aren't you tired of living under the shadow of fear? You deserve better than this. Your family deserves better than this. Do you want your little brothers to continue their childhood with death all around them? Do you want your mother to cry herself to sleep day after day? Do you want your father to die of grief? You can do this Meher, just a little courage. It's better to die trying than continue living in this hell hole. And think of the outcome if you succeed. Your father will have a peaceful life, your mother will be able to smile after a long long time. Your brothers can have the best of future. Everyone will be free to follow their desires and live their dreams. And you can finally have a husband who really loves you".
She ponders over what I have said.
"I will do it!" she says. Though her hands are trembling I can see hope in her eyes.
"You are an angel Saeed, sent to save me from the beast"

Why does everyone keep comparing me to an angel? And my enemy to a beast?

A servant bursts in the garden.
"Aadab, an urgent message for you Begum"
Meher's face pales. "Saeed, you need to leave right now", she urges me.
I run behind her to the door.
"But who is the message from?", I ask.
"Mir Saleem. He sends me a warning whenever my husband decides to come back home unannounced. May Allah bless him".
"Allah Hafiz Meher. Start acting on the plan".

O Allah! Please give her the courage to act. Please give her the strength to stand strong, I pray while climbing down from the tree. I hit the ground and walk along the huge walls that border the Shahi housing. I notice a young girl standing under a tree her neck strained gazing at the leaves above. What was so interesting among the leaves? I go and stand next to her and look up. Stuck there was a grand blue kite.

"Is it yours?"
"No, it belongs to my brother. He lost it last week and here it is! Hidden in the tree"
"It's a pretty kite", I comment.
"I will go and ask Akhi to take it before someone else spots it", she says turning away. I pull her back.
"Wait, why don't you take it back yourself and surprise him?"
"I will not be able to reach it", she says.
"I will help you"
She looks at me from head to foot, taking in my gown and veil.
"Forget it ukhti, you will not be able to do it", she says shaking her head.
"Just watch me", I challenge her.
I am up on the first branch in a second. From there I cautiously climb up branch by branch taking care of my clothes. The little girl below is clapping her hands and cheering me. I hope no one spots me doing such antics, that too with my veil on. I must be looking like a joke from below. I reach the kite and sit on the branch near it. I slowly pull it out trying not to tear it. I hold it from above and shake it at the girl. She is dancing for joy. I let the kite go and it sails down into her arms. I make my way down and she hugs my legs.

"You are a hero", she says.
"Well, I guess I am", I say shrugging. "Run along and surprise your brother".
That huge smile never leaves her face! It is worth taking the pains just to see a smile light up someones face. Why hadn't the world realized this fact yet? The world would be a much better place with more helping hands, for helping hands are better than praying lips.

I take the least trodden path back home which goes through the forest. I need some peace and quiet to think and this lonely way is the best.

Once I gather evidence on the Shehenshah's death I will have a strong hold on Mir Jafar. I just need to tighten the web all around him by finding proofs of his other misdeeds. By that time Shehzada will be ready enough to ascend the throne and we can send Mir Jafar to the gallows. It is not going to be as easy as it sounds but the final fruit is worth the efforts.

I stop abruptly for I had noticed some movement on my right behind a cluster of trees. Who could be out in this heat and in this lonely place? Mostly an animal. I cautiously make my way around. Oh oh oh..... This is embarrassing. I shouldn't have come! For behind the tree were 2 lovers exchanging letters. I immediately turn to leave but stop dead in my tracks as a realization hits me. The girl was Saira! Allahu Akbar! What was she up to?

I quickly hide behind the tree and think what to do. I can't leave her here. From the way she was behaving it was clear she was afraid of being caught. I did not want any harm to come to her. But before that I needed to make this girl understand that falling in love isn't wrong but continuing it the haram (unallowed) way is.

The guy leaves her as soon as he is done giving her the message (which I couldn't hear) and the letter. He briskly walks away looking over his shoulders. If Saira looked scared this fellow looked petrified. What made these two so scared? Why couldn't they just consult their elders and get married?

Who was this fellow? As far as I could recall I had never seen him before. Why hadn't Saira told me about him? May be my anti-love views had held her back. I kick myself in my mind for being such a terrible friend.  How can you call yourself a friend of someone when that person is not comfortable sharing her deepest secrets with you? I wait till the boy disappears out of sight. Saira stands there under the tree lost in thought. I don't want to confront her here. It will just make her feel ashamed of herself and that might harm our friendship. I need to deal with this calmly and carefully.

She removes the letter and reads it. Her face glows with happiness. And this is what love did to people. A single letter can make her day. She quickly puts back the letter and starts walking towards her home. I follow her. After crossing two lanes I call out to her.

"Saira..."

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

28 5 5
The novel depicts a matriarchal society where men are used just for work and are deemed as mere sources of seed to beget daughters. But technology wi...
90.9K 4.7K 13
❝One girl, one book, and an entire nation that wants to keep her from it.❞
4.3K 5 53
During judgement, it seems god decided to repeat what I was hoping for.
83.7K 4.6K 37
Ever had a crush? Ever been in love? Of course Yes. Read this story and I bet you will adore it(hope so) Imagine you in the place of...