Future Words of Yesterday: Is...

Por FWOYMagazine

Our debut issue is here! January's feature theme :- Remembering the Victims of the Holocaust. Cover by @mone... Mais

The Editor's Note
Did You Know?
Global News
#FreeTheLGBT
#TalkThePOC
#ChemNotCharacter
#FreeYourBody
#ProjectWomanUp
#ThisIsOurWorld
Editorial: #TheAnimalPact
Editor's Pick - Movies and Music
Talking Out Soft
Two Spoons of Grey Matter
Terrorism
Tips on Writing
Anime 101
The Creepy Column
Advice Corner
Author of the Month: @ginawriter
Poet of the Month: @OwainGlyn
Writing Contest Winner
Graphic Contest Winner
Free Classes: Hindi
Citations
Fin.
#Wattys2016

Book Recommendations

181 35 12
Por FWOYMagazine

Wattpad Book Name: Sacmis

Genre: Science Fiction

Author: AdrianaNicolas

Review:

This story is one that I stumbled upon on Wattpad a couple of months ago. After reading the entire novel, I really fell in love with it. So much so, that I had to return to the book once more this month... Let me tell you why:

Sacmis is a fantasy type novel with aliens. That's right, aliens. These aliens are far from being bug-eyed monsters, and share 90% DNA with humans. The 10% difference between alien and human genetics is the ability to connect with others at a deeper level. This results in a merging of identity that enables both parties to experience directly the feelings and sensations of the other.

So hopefully, I didn't lose you. Because, if you're a romance reader, like approximately 90% of Wattpad is, and enjoy you will love this book.

The background is that a genetic disorder on the alien's home planet, Sacmis has resulted in a massive imbalance between the sexes, with male births so far outweighing female births that most men can never hope to have a relationship with a woman. To save the planet from extinction, Sacmis has prepared a fleet of ships to seek compatible females elsewhere; however they believe in abducting women by force and using them as little better than slaves. But, not the four male alien abductors who believe it should only be by consent.

The four male aliens take a ship by force, which doesn't bode well for them, over the idea that they will convince four women - a lawyer, a teacher, an athlete and a soldier - to consent instead of abducting and forcing them into slavery.

In the beginning, the males are hard to distinguish between at times, but the woman that they are coupled with have completely different personalities that pretty much fueled the lack of one in their male counterpart. However as the story progresses the easier it is to see that even though they are very similar they are truly different because the choices of women these men had.

If you love adventure of space exploration, you will love this book.

If you love great friendly banter between women, you will love this book.

If you love a unique and believable romance, then you will love this book.

Published Book Name: The Book Thief

Genre: YA Fiction

Author: Markus Zusak

Review:

In my opinion, this novel is a fresh look on the Holocaust. Most Holocaust books that I have read in school are centered on the victim's story, yet so much more went on at during WWI. The book is focused heavily on Liesel, an orphaned German girl, whose adopted family takes in a Jewish boy. Also, what made The Book Thief interesting is the narrator that popped up every once in awhile to be the barer of bad news, Death. This character foreshadowed the horrific events to come. Meaning, I should point out to you that it takes the shock out of these events, but will not take away from anticipation or emotion when tragedy strikes.

For this type of book, I will give a warning, and it is mostly why I hadn't finished it when I was in college and went back for it later. One, this book is long...approximately, 540 pages. So, if you are like me and need to finish something I read the same day, most likely not going to happen. Two, it is stated as Teen Fiction in some countries, and I feel that it is too heavy handed or very draw out.

But, if you enjoy beautifully crafted writing, then you may fall in love with The Book Thief. This prose that Zusak used in the novel was amazing. The writing really painted an intense picture of setting, for example, "The town that afternoon was covered in a yellow mist, which stroked the rooftops as if they were pets and filled up the streets like a bath." (p.247) Also, from what I can say about this quote is that there is color here, a live among the wrecked. Unlike what you would see in the Schindler's List, in which everything is told to in a grey fashion.

Also, if you enjoy great characters this book may be something you'd like to pick up. With many of the characters, you get little tidbits of their lives that normally someone wouldn't see. Making, Leisel and the other characters in the book are rich, interesting. You may hate some of them, but will ultimately grow to like them. If you love to care about the characters your reading, of having an emotional rollercoaster with them, then this book is for you.

- Article written by

JanelleTriplett (Book Recommendations, FWOY)

Wattpad Book Name: Ulysses

Genre: Short Story

Author: thislittlepiggie 

Review: If you're a fan of the short and sweet, cats and being slightly anti-social, this undiscovered gem by thislittlepiggie is what you've been looking for. It's a perfect story for reading on the bus or just before you go to bed as a little treat for yourself, leaving you with all the feels and warm fuzzies.

The story follows Kellin and his Persian cat, Ulysses, on their early morning Saturday endeavours. It's a stripped back, relaxed tale, with possibly the best characterisation of a cat on Wattpad ever. It's a story of love and friendship and will leave you dreaming of adopting seven cats as your life goal (if it weren't already...)

Published Book Name: Fangirl

Genre: YA Fiction

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Review: Rainbow Rowell is a must read for all teen fiction lovers, and Fangirl is Rowell at her very best. Following student Cath Avery through her time at college, the story explores love, passion, family dynamics and mental illness.

As the title suggests, the novel is perfect for any fangirl (or boy!), especially those who have been completely obsessed with a book series and have written fanfiction. Rowell's story pulls you in with a beautiful front cover and the promise of a cosy, warm read for over the winter months.

The quirky novel is a perfect mix of real life and fantasy, with snippets of 'Simon Snow' fanfiction – written by Cath herself – included. Simon is a young wizard at a magical school (which is very much inspired by Hogwarts!) so if you feel like revisiting the wizarding world, the book is a very good choice in that respect.

Rowell also manages to create such a strong voice for Cath that it seems she is a completely different writer to Rowell herself, who tells Cath's story through third person, but both sections are extremely witty and filled with beautiful language. Rowell has now released also Carry On, the fanfiction written by Cath in Fangirl.

As for Cath's story, it's very much an exploration of her relationship with people she meets at college, and her passion for writing. The story feels like it's reaching out to those who feel like they are struggling to keep up, and to fit into society. Readers will often find themselves relating to the eccentric characters and the situations they're thrown into.

Meet the cast: Reagan, the ultra-sassy red head who rooms with Cath. Wren, Cath's identical twin sister with a very unidentical personality to her sibling. Levi, Reagan's bouncy best friend who Cath can't seem to shake off (also the world's biggest fan of alpacas.) Nick, Cath's smooth, good-looking writing partner for their Creative Writing module. And Art, Cath's eccentric father, who is battling bipolar. Each character is so enchanting, it feels like you know them, and want to keep re-reading them over and over just to stay close to them. Rowell's characters have a knack of wriggling into your heart and staying there long after you finish the last page.

This story also goes deeper and looks at anxiety and bipolar disorders. For those amongst us struggling, it is a comfort to have characters in books to relate to, and Cath in particular is a perfect depiction of teenage anxieties and insecurities (and of course, as a fellow bookworm and writer, Cath is practically most of us written down on paper!) In terms of accurate representation, this book stands out a lot more than a lot of teen fiction on the market, especially when tackling the issue of mental disorders.

Romance lovers who like to read something a bit different should make a last minute edition to their Christmas lists and get their hands on Fangirl!

- Article written by 

Hazzer123 (Book Recommendations, FWOY)

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

136K 2.8K 8
It was a case of love at first sight, a moment where time stood still and hearts aligned. However, as fate would have it, a tragedy struck, leaving a...
26.8K 1.1K 24
I'm not good with descriptions , but Just read I promise you won't be disappointed!!!!! Cover Made by ~UrbanistSociety
77.3K 5.8K 17
We're going back to the origins, people! Where it all began ;) -Thank you so much @kirstin_fanacc for the cover ❤-
60 32 16
Isabella Schlatt finds out a big secret. The universe has plans for everyone. The universe has chosen its entertainment. cover by me Date Started: Se...