Wrecked - An After-Divorce Ro...

Da Sugarcandy6

It wasn't romantic or easy. It was just something that happened." "God! Was it worth ruining everything?" "... Altro

X
pre - reading
Summary
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
PSA
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Extra Chapter
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Prologue of Till Destiny Bind us Together
💖 Thank you note 💖
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter Twenty Eight

685 81 26
Da Sugarcandy6

Okay so this chapter was a whopping ,7500 words when I finished it so obviously that's too much so I'm dividing it into two chapters. So please make sure to read the next chapter too!

***

Dhruv walked into Nats' room and she quickly went into Dhruv's room and changed into her own clothes. She found a notepad on the teapoy and wrote a note, leaving the apartment as quickly as she could.

She was wrong. She knew that. Khushi pulled her car out and drove to the Rane mansion where her sister stayed with jiju and Sakshi and Siddharth.

When she pressed the door bell, it was opened by Sakshi who smiled looking at her. "Oh look who's here! Oh Gosh! Khushiii...how have you been?"

Sakshi pulled her into a hug,"I've been well, Sakshi. How are you?"

"I've been good. How are Siddharth and the kids?"

"Oh they're good. Have you come to meet Janvi?" She asked leading her in.

"Yes. Where is she?"

" I think she's in her room, getting ready for office. You can go up, you're family so..."

Khushi walked up the stairs to her sister's room. She knocked on the door and the door was opened by Veer jiju. His hair was sticking in all directions and he yawned,

"Khushi? Kiddo, what are you doing here? Did something happen? What happened to your face?”

"No no no jiju. I'm fine. I don't want to talk about my face. Anyways,I just came to meet Dee. Is she there?"

"She's in the washroom. What happened? Why do you wanna meet her?"

"Nothing jiju. I just want to check up on her. I'll wait downstairs. Tell her I'm waiting."

  Saying that she walked away to the drawing room.

***

She waited awkwardly in the drawing room until her sister rushed in, still wearing her bathrobe.

"What are you doing here?"

"The cheque." She pulled out the envelope from her jeans pockets and extended it to her sister.

He sister stared at it in shock, "I didn't actually mean for you to return it so soon..."

"It's okay. Your wedding is more important.... I'll arrange the money form somewhere." By somewhere Khushi meant that she had to pause her research, but her sister didn't need to know that.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Dee." She placed the envelope on the table.

"Sit, sit...finish your tea.What happened, Khushi? Who slapped you?" Janvi nudged a cup of tea, towards her. "I heard Dhruv's in town. Did he do that?" Janvi’s voice was controlled but while pouring herself a cup, her hands shook

"Yeah...he is. For his sister's wedding." She said, Janvi took a seat on the couch opposite hers. “No, dee, you know he would never.”

   That is all she said. Her sister understood that she didn't wish to relieve it again and let go.

"Oh...Dishu is getting married again?"

"Yeah to jiju and Sakshi's cousin. Samrat I think?"

Her sister looked at her in surprise, "Really? Veer has a cousin?"

"Didn't you know? Veer and Sakshi's dad had a brother. It's his son."

"First cousins? What the hell? I'll have to ask Veer about it." Janvi said sighing.

"How are Asha and Usha? I didn't see them anywhere."

"They're at boarding school in Ooty. Sakshi had enrolled her skidd there and we thought why not send them there too? It's honestly one of the best schools in the county."

"Oh. That's good."

"Are you going to get back together with Dhruv?" She asked.

"What? No! He's married anyway. They're getting a divorce but still...and he and I are not on good terms."

Janvi shook her head in disappointment, "If you've messed up, then apologise."

"I tried. I didn't realise how much I had hurt him until now. And he doesn't want my apology."

"Then apologise again...and again... he's not like you. You need space to forgive, he needs closeness. So cling to him, make him realise how sorry you are and he'll forgive you."

"I don't know, dee..." She placed the empty cup on the saucer and stood up. "I'll leave now. Thanks for the tea."

***

After a week, Dhruv sat in the court room. His lawyer whispered things to him which he didn't register at all. He was thinking about Khushi and how she had left abruptly. In her defence, she did leave a note which was safely folded and tucked in his coap pocket. He had resisted the urge to call her and ask if she was okay

Their case was called out so he went ahead and saw that Neeta had brought in her lawyer too. She was wearing sunglasses in court and he rolled his eyes.

"Mr. Dhruv Kapadia and Mrs. Neeta Kapadia. Divorce and Custody petition." Her lawyer ahad announced.

"Your honor. My client is requesting a divorce from Dhruv Kapadia and sole custody of her biological son, Rian Kapadia."

"Your honor my client, Mr. Dhruv Kapadia is ready to grant the divorce but not sole custody of his ward."

"Why do you wish to seek a divorce, Mrs. Kapadia?" The judge asked her and Veer couldn't care less until there were gasps which went around the room.

He looked at Neeta who had removed her sunglasses and was sporting a black eye.

"Domestic abuse, your honour. I can't take it anymore." She broke down in tears.

Dhruv's lawyer nudged her and whispered that he didn't do it.

"Objection your honour! This is a very serious allegation to put on my client!"

"Mrs. Kapadia, why now? After enduring it for years. Why now?"

"Because...your honor...he had begun laying his hands on my son too!" She whimpered between sobs.

"She's lying! I would never hurt Rian!" He yelled.

"Mr. Kapadia. Please maintain decorum in the court."

Dhruv sat down on a huff, clenching hai jaw tightly. He had underestimated Neeta. He should've realised what a cuckoo she was years ago.

"Your honor. We have proof that Mr. Kapadia has abused
Mr. Riyan who is just 3 and a half years old. " The lawyer passed on a folder. "I'm submitting these documents as evidence. While Mrs. Kapadia was out of town these few weeks, Mr. Riyan was admitted to the hospital with bruises on his body."

"I didn't do that! His nanny did!" He whispered harshly to his lawyer.

"Your honor. My client is innocent. As per the investigation conducted by the child welfare services, Riyan's nanny is the culprit who has since run away. The police is working hard to catch her, milord."

"That's such a convenient excuse. Because, let us agree that the nanny had done it. What was Mr. Kapadia doing whole the baby abused his child in his own home? Isn't that neglectful parenting? Or you didn't care because Riyan isn't yours biologically?!"

He shot up from his seat again, "What the fuck did you say?!' He lunged towards the opposition lawyer but he was held back by his lawyers.

"Mr. Kapadia. This is your last warning. Be seated or you'll be thrown out of the court!" The judge warned him and he stopped.

"It is true. That Riyan and I aren't biologically related but you don't need to share blood to love someone. And I love Riyan because in my mind, he is mine even if he's not related by blood. Your honor, you can ask Riyan...whom he loves..." He begged.

"Mr. Kapadia, I'll certainly take Riyan's needs into consideration but please be seated."

He sat down dejected. "I'll continue your honor, in yeh evidences submitted you can also see a pendrive it has the CCTV footage pricing that Mr. Dhruv Kapadia is carrying out an affair with his ex-wife. Not only that, we also have CCTV footage of Neeta entering Mr. Kapadia's flat and leaving with a black eye. Also before Neeta we can see, Mr. Kapadia's ex-wife entering the apartment and not leaving until morning. Now I would like to call upon Mrs. Kapadia toh relay what exactly happened yesterday."

Dhruv dug his nails on the handle of the chair till it hurt. He felt sweat trickle on his back. She was going to milk this, he thought.

"Your honor, I caught my husband getting cosy with his ex-wife at the hospital where she works. And I confronted them. He threw me to the ground for that. Then later that night, I went to his apartment to talk to him. And he was with her thay time too. I fought with him and maybe I provoked him and he hit me and told me to get out of the house." Neeta began sobbing uncontrollably.

Dhruv could feel the whole atmosphere turn in her favour. He was actually scared now.

"I would like to question Mrs. Kapadia now, your honor." His lawyer said.

The judge nodded.

"Mrs. Kapadia, you told us that Mr. Kapadia hurt you that night and told you to get out. And you did. Now, when you thought that Mr. Kapadia was dangerous, why didn't you take Riyan home with you that night? What kind of mother would leave her child at the house of someone she knows is dangerous?"

"I just wanted to get out safely and then I filed this case, didn't I?" Neeta fumbled for words.

"Also, you went into Mr. Kapadia's apartment. We saw the video. You entered the apartment using the passcode. What proof so you have Mrs. Kapadia that Mr. Kapadia was laying in wait for you instead of sleeping, let's just see the time stamp, at 3:00 a.m. in the morning?"

"I went in to grab Riyan from there because I wanted a divorce and Dhruv caught me because he had gotten up ...I don't know for what...maybe to drink some water."

"But Mrs. Kapadia, you just said that you went to his apartment to confront him about his cheating?"

"Yes and also to take back Riyan."

"That's all I have to say. Your honor."

***

After a short break, his lawyer told him that he might be called to the stand and to not lose his cool even if he was provoked. And like his lawyer had warned, he was called to the stand.

"Mr. Kapadia, is it or is it not true that you were with your ex-wife, Khushi Singh that night?"

"She was in my home to collect something of hers. And she fell sick and fainted, she stayed till the morning to regain her strength."

"Do you have any proof of that?"

"Yes. I called Dr. John to take a look at her."

"You're truly great Mr. Kapadia because not many of us would be this concerned for an ex-wife."

"I did what any person would do."

"So you and Khushi have no relationship of that kind?"

"We are friends. And it was shee who discovers Riyan's bruises and alerted the Child Welfare Officers."

"How do we trust that you and Khushi Singh didn't pay the maid to abuse Mr. Riyan and then told her to run away, you planned this and Khushi Singh alerted the officers and now both of you got a clean chit."

He gritted his teeth, "I would never hurt Riyan. He's my son."

"But we can all see you throwing off Mrs. Kapadia defending your lover instead."

"She isn't my lover and my hands slipped."

"Where were you on that night between 1 a.m. to 4 a.m.?"

"I was in my bedroom, in my bed fast asleep."

"Where was Riyan?"

"He was in his room, in his crib."

"How would you know if he wakes up in the middle of the night?"

"I usually sleep in his room which has a single bed. But Nats, I mean, Nakshatra my aunt was sleeping in that room."

"Did you see Mrs. Kapadia in your flat that night?"

"No. I was asleep."

"So no one was in the living room at that time?"

"Yes."

"Okay then where was Kushi Singh sleeping in? In the living room, on the couch?"

"No. She was sleeping in my room."

"On the floor? On the couch?"

"No. We put her on the bed because she was sick."

"And where did you sleep, Mr. Kapadia? On the floor?"

"How is this relevant?" He snapped.

"So you both slept in the same bed. Some friends you and ex-wife are."

He controlled his anger to not let out a frustrated sigh.

"Thank you Mr. Kapadia. That's all from me."

Dhruv felt pain in every being of his body. What would be do if he lost his boy? His dear son. He couldn't live with himself if she ever got some custody.

The court was adjourned after that. Dhruv went to speak with his lawyer who assured him that the judgement would be in their favour.

***

"Dhruv, you'll come to the party tonight right?" His assistant and good friend Mohan had asked.

"Your engagement party. Yes! I'll be there. Don't worry."

He got in the car with his lawyer - Derrick. He was one of the best lawyers in the city and a partner in a major law firm. "Tell me, that woman is not going to get sole custody of Riyan." He sighed frustrated.

"She won't. And I need you to tell me honestly about Khushi Singh, your ex-wife."

"There's nothing for you to know."

   Dhruv looked at Derrick who gave him a "Really?" stare.

     "This is exactly why we didn't work out, Dhruv." He said.

    Dhruv groaned, "That was ages ago.... Before I adopted Riyan.

  Dhruv didn't deny that after his separation from Khushi he had dated around for a while and one of them was definitely Derrick.

    Dhruv wasn't ashamed of exploring his sexuality, he never was and never would be. But, he was afraid that it would raise questions on his masculinity which was why he had been discreet.

    Derrick was bisexual. Derrick had taught him about Bisexuality and other sexualities but he found himself to be bicurious. He had dappled with intimacy but then never went through the whole way.

         "Oh come on...do you know how hurtful it was? You'd always stare at me but you would look for someone else in me.  I had a sneaking suspicion that it was her considering you were newly divorced back then but now it's proved."

        "Nothing's proved..."

        "Ha, I can prove it now. Kiss me now and we'll see."

         "You think I won't?"

         Dhruv leaned forward teasing. Derrick moved forward too. Dhruv was the first to move away.

         "I knew it!" He snapped with a victorious smile on his face. "I would take offense but it is kind of romantic, you know? That she's still in your heart."

       "It's nothing like that."

      "Ugh, fine. Keep lying to yourself. As your lawyer, I just want to know what happened that night?"

      Dhruv shrugged."What do you want me to say? Things did get heated last time we were in the same room but then..."

      "You do know that if you get back together with her after all of this, you'll be figuratively crucified for cheating on your wife. Don't you?"

      Dhruv said nothing except tap his fingers on his lap. He didn't know what to say, he wasn't sure how he and Khushi had any future? He was so angry with her and there was still so much broken between them.

      "I would like to meet her once. Maybe even call her on the stand. If I don't, the opposition surely will. We have to atleast prepare her..."

      "I understand. I'll try to talk to her."

          He had invited Derrick to his apartment to have lunch. But when they entered the apartment the dining room was already full and apparently Nats had cooked up a feast. Khushi and Veer stared at him mid bite.

       "Dhruv! Look whom I met when I went to meet Shri. Both of them were in the hotel with their bags packed?! I immediately invited them here!” Nats said.

     “Dhruv!” Veer said, almost spitting out food.

       “Veer. Please sit.”

       “This is my lawyer, Derrick. He's helping me with the divorce. Derrick, this is my aunt, Nats. This is Veer. And this is Khushi.”

          “Ohh, Khushi Singh?”

       ***

Khushi tilted her head in confusion and stood up to shake the stranger's hand.

     “Yeah that's me.”

      “The ex-wife.”

      “Yeah…” She said awkwardly.

      “You're a doctor too, right? Beauty and brains. I'm enchanted.” He said.

     Khushi felt a blush creep in her cheek. “You certainly know a lot about me, Derrick.”

       “Anyways!” Dhruv broke out their very long hand shake. “We should join in for lunch too.”

         ***
   It took Khushi longer to finish her lunch because Nats had started loading her plate with parathas. When she tried to walk around the house, to feel lighter, she saw Derrick and Dhruv on the deck. They had their back towards her.

     “You don't need me to tell you how monumentally bad an idea it is to let her stay here right now.” It was Derrick.

      “I can't just throw her out, I need to talk to her. Maybe I can pay for a hotel room?”

     “And leave a paper trail? Dhruv….you need to stay away from her. At Least till the case is done. It's her or Riyan.”

       “You know it'll always be Riyan!” Dhruv snapped. “And how many times do I have to tell you that I don't like her! I don't want her back in my life!”

        Khushi let out a loud burp. As if that isn't embarrassing enough, both the men turned towards her, catching her eavesdropping.

     “I was just staying till lunch since Nats insisted. But I'm gonna go now…” She said turning back rushing to the living room.

      ***

     Of Course she had to hear that, Dhruv thought. He hissed and followed her but she had reached the living room by then. He hadn't noticed her suitcase before but when she went to her suitcase he definitely noticed, she pulled the handle and wheeled it towards the door.

     “Khushi….Khushi!” He called out and walked in front of her, blocking her way.

    “Dhruv…I'm sorry but Nats insisted. That's the only reason why I came here. I've not come here to leech on you.”

     “I never said that!”

   It was true. He had never said that. He had said something worse. Dhruv didn't know whether he was lying when he said he didn't want to get back together with her or not. He had thought she felt the same too. Then why was she upset now?

     “I'm gonna go.” She said, letting out a tired sigh.

   “Why were you at a hotel? What happened to your flat?”

      “I was behind on rent, and I was fired. My roommate didn't want me around.”

      “I can arrange for some cash…” He thought.

      “I don't need your money, Dhruv!” She snapped.

    The urge to ask her what she needed was strong but he stomped down it. He couldn't ask because the both of them knew the answer very well. They were both afraid to materise it.

     “Fine. Let me atleast drop you.”

     “No.” She said. He didn't know why she behaved so stubbornly.

     “What's going on?” Nats came in the passage, followed by Veer. She looked at the suitcase at Khushi's side and understood the situation well.

     “Beta, kahan? Where are you going?” She stepped forward. “Did Dhruv say something?!”

   Her silence said it all. “What did you say?! She's here as my guest!”

     “He didn't say anything.” Khushi rose to his defense. Truly, he was now plunged in shame.

    “It's just…aunty, there's a custody case going on so it's not appropriate for his ex-wife to stay…” Daniel tried to pacify Nats.

     But Nats was angry, she huffed, “I'd never thought you'd do this!”

     “Do what?!” He snapped at his aunt who looked mortified. He covered his face and sighed tiredly.

      “Just…everybody out. I don't want any of you here. You too, Nats.”

   The look that Nats gave him was scalding. He was ashamed of his behavior already but he needed space.

     ***

       “I cannot believe he would do this! He has even surpassed you in terms of assholery!” Nats sniffed as to not lose her composure.

    Dhariya Kapadia only looked at her sympathetically. “I'm sorry he did that. I'll give him a call and give him an earful!”

     “Ew no!” She slapped away the hand that he extended to touch her shoulder, “And no, you will not scold. Poor baccha is just overwhelmed with the case and everything! Don't you dare call him!”

     “Fine as you say. You can stay at my house for the time being. It's empty since I've been here.”

       “Thanks. I won't refuse. Is that Ramesh still employed there?”

       “He manages the house. His daughter is a doctor!”

        “Oh that man managed to make her a doctor?!”

         “She's in this hospital only, working with Khushi!”

         “Eh? Really? That's nice.”

         “Ah right! Today is the 17th right? She's even getting engaged today.”

         “Where's Khushi then?”

         “I don't know. The poor thing…went back to the hotel I think.”

         “Call her and tell her to stay with you at the house. You'll get company and she won't have to stay at the hotel.”

      “Fine fine…don't nag me like an aunty!” Nats said rudely but Dhariya Kapadia only grinned.

     ***

       That evening, conveniently the engagement party was held in Viren jijus’s hotel where she had been staying. Veer jiju was staying on the same floor too. She didn't yet know why Veer jiju had walked out of the house, Khushi surmised that him and dee must've had a fight.

   Before she could ask him, Nats had rushed in and forcibly taken her to Dhruv’s apartment.

     She got ready, wore a lehenga and walked to the room assigned to Ravyavfor her to get dressed. She entered the room and Ravya was in the middle of putting on makeup.

   She excused herself and ran to her, hugging Khushi. “You look pretty!” Khushi said.

    “Thank you. I'm sorry that you got fired.” Ravya said, Khushi waved her hand nonchalantly. She sat and watched Ravya get ready.

    “I'm so nervous. Were you this nervous at your engagement?” Ravya's eyes were closed as the makeup artist worked on her face.

   “We didn't have an engagement. We just got married and yes I was nervous.”

    She remembered that week as clear as day even though almost a decade had passed since then. She wasn't the same Khushi, he wasn't the same too.

     An ache pressed in his chest. She was just 22 back then, and Dhruv was a few years older, in retrospect she had thought Dhruv was older then but now that she was 29, she realized that he had been young too. Now he was 35, a middle aged man and she was nearing 30.

   How had the time gone, she wondered. She looked around the hotel room and it was a hotel room like this one, they had stayed the night of their wedding in. She wasn't far off considering how it had been the same hotel. They had but kissed, yet the memories were precious.

     A laugh escaped her lips as she remembered that she could map out their life in hotel rooms. It was in the same hotel that he had confessed he loved her first. Khushi remembered his words clearly, “It's not even this intense kind of love, it's subtle like a feather…”

    His love was always like that — mild, calming and soothing, just like him. She had burned it to the ground.

   Khushi had always liked to push his boundaries. It was a hotel in Goa where they first had sex, and their first fight. What could be expected from a 22 year old? He had been patient and kind. Which is why she felt indebted to him?

      She told Ravya that she would wait for her at the venue and went to the side deck for some quiet. Khushi stared at the twinkling lights and sighed.

    Was it any wonder that she had chosen a hotel to betray him the moment she came to know about the cancer?

   Cervical cancer. They had said while she lay in the hospital bed processing the loss from her womb. They needed to do a hysterectomy. They needed to know who was with her? Guardian? And she had called them all, none picking up the phone. They discharged her, telling her to think about it.

     She stayed in bed for a week, crying silently even though the house was empty. Maybe she should've called them again but it was too difficult for her to even get up.

      Then a week later of crying and sleeping , she got up from bed and dressed up. The hospital had called about the hysterectomy.

   That afternoon she stood naked in front of her bathroom mirror for an hour, the afternoon sunlight filled the room. She took a long bath in the bathtub and dressed in a skimpy dress which she knew would attract the wrong kind of attention.

     Khushi put on makeup and perfume. And downloaded the Ashley Magison app and uploaded her pictures. She got matches in minutes. She was out at that moment.

   The man had texted her the hotel address and suite number. She stood in front of the door without knocking. This was her last chance to enjoy her womanhood. The coils on the wooden door made her dizzy. She reached for the door knob.That was when her phone beeped. It was Dhruv. He had texted her that he had just landed in Mumbai Airport and he would be home and that he couldn't wait to see her.

      She looked at the door again. Tears flooded her eyes. What was she about to do? Cheat on him? Cheat on Dhruv? The man who had given her so much? Angry compunctionafe her step away from the door and she took a taxi home. She changed out the stupid dress and put on a robe and slipped inside the covers. It was late anyway. It was beyond midnight.

    Khushi knew the moment he entered the house. He had called out to her. She dug herself deep in the covers and shut her eyes, feigning sleep.

      “Khushi?” He had clicked the door open. He must've noticed her on the bed because she heard the soft pads of his feet. She felt him tucking and righting her comforter. Then he pressed his lips on her temple, brushing her hair.

      When he left, silent tears kept flowing from her eyes, drenching the pillow cover.

      The next morning she left her room. He had made breakfast. Dhruv smiled at her forgetting everything. The harsh words, the bitter fight. But she was worse now, she was broken, a mere fragmented pieces hanging by a thread together, she wasn't even a woman now.

        “You've come back.” She said sitting on one of the dining table chairs. When he placed their plates in front of them, he tried to kiss her cheek, she let him but didn't return it. She turned her head to look out the window.

     Monsoon was over. The trees were bursting with post monsoon flowers. She thought about her miscarriage. Her body had healed but her soul was wounded and the cancer. She had to get a hysterectomy, they would remove her uterus, they had said.

    Hadn't she suffered enough? Now she can't be a mother ever. Dhruv had asked her something. She looked at him, “huh?”

     “What are you looking at?”

      “Nothing…”

         Dhruv had always wanted kids. They had discussed it over the years. He and her were waiting until her med school was over. Now it was over. Med school and her womanhood along with it. She tried to tell him. But then what? He'd stay with her. He'd say he didn't want kids anymore. That it was okay. But she'd know how much he longed for kids. It practically shone through his eyes when he played with their friends’ kids.

       He'd be a good father. She'd never be a mother. Not even a bad one. She wasn't even a good wife, she remembered how easily she had sought out another man.

    So she decided against it. Instead she told him,

      “Let's get divorced.”

   So after a struggle they got divorced. She got a hysterectomy. They met again due to Dishu’s wedding. They ended on bad terms but there was still hope in her that it would be fine. He had Riyan. Maybe she could fit in his life.

    Until they had found a lump in her breast. That exhausted her. This body has exhausted her. It was scarred and ugly. She had lost her uterus and now they were going to take her breasts away.

    She fought against it. She had chemotherapy, maybe it will go away. It hadn't. And she was at high risk of relapsing. That was when he had left without a word.

     She had a mastectomy after that, alone as she was during her hysterectomy.

     What could she do when her own body betrayed her?

    She snapped out of her thoughts when someone cleared their throat. She looked at him and it was Daniel, “Oh hi.”

     “Hey. Khushi, nice seeing you here.”

     “Likewise.”

     “Um….Khushi…would you mind doing me a favor? It's for the custody case…Also you can say no but this will greatly help…”

     “What is it?” She asked.

     ***

   The engagement party was wonderful until the rings were exchanged. Looks were passed and snide remarks too against Ravya. Ravya had a right lipped smile.

       Drinks were served and she took a glass of red wine.

     “Are you sure you should be drinking?”

      She turned back to look at Dhruv and he looked stunning with a suit on and his hair gelled back.

     “I need it.” She took a gulp out of her glass.

       Their conversation was interrupted with someone falling in the pool. It was Ravya's brother from what she had learnt. That wasn't where it stopped. The kids, especially Ravya's relatives, had jumped in the pool. Along with kids from Mohan's side.

      It was too chaotic. Dhruv went towards Mohan who was shouting orders. It didn't end well.

    ***

       After the chaos had settled, Dhruv took Mohan to the quiet bar for drinks.

    “I'm appalled by how some of her relatives behaved!”

     Dhruv didn't say anything but this was precisely what he had warned Mohan about.

    “They behaved like literal junglees. Shit. Is this what I'm marrying into?”

      “Mohan, they're not going to be living with you inside your house. Only you and Ravya will. Don't lose sight of that, man.”

    Dhruv said knocking back his drink
      ***

       Ravya was appalled and inconsolable. She was sobbing her eyes out. She was ashamed. Khushi had done her best to tell her that if Mohan really loved her then he'd not judge her.

    She left Mohan's room and knocked on Veer Jiju’s. He let her in. Shebknew he was miserable.

       “Jiju, did you and Dee fight?”

       “Yes. There's no use lying to you.”

       “Was it about me?”

     Veer didn't say anything for a long time. “I didn't like how she took back the money.”

     “Jiju ....you shouldn't have…I gave it back willingly…”

      “Why are you in a hotel then?”

      “Jiju…it's not yours and hers responsibility to pay for me…”

      “Yes but can we not help you out when you're in trouble? You're family…”

        “You can.”

        “Kiddo…” He sighed. “It's not just this issue. I just…everything that Dhruv does is forgivable. He's always in between and it's getting old now. I want her to prioritize me and our kids.”

      “You know she loved you…”

       “Yes but…she doesn't show it…”

     ***

     Dhruv was nervous about the hearing. Neeta’s scars had faded but she was wearing a chiffon saree with no make up, portraying the epitome of innocence. 

       “Will Khushi be coming?” He asked Daniel and Daniel nodded at him with a secret smile.

     The judge came in and the proceedings ensued. It was all boring until the opposition judge called Khushi to the stand. He didn't even know she was in the room.

   Dhruv wasn't the only one to turn around. Everyone had. Good grief! He thought. She was wearing a chiffon saree with a sleeveless blouse. Her hair was open and her lips were painted red.

        Jealousy flared in his chest. She looked good. Too good. She looked like sin.

     She had worn a halter neck blouse which hid her scars. It had been the most aroused he had been in years.

    “Oh she's good.” Daniel said. “I can see why you're still not over her.”

   The urge to punch Daniel was strong but he clamped it.

       ***

         “Miss Khushi Singh. I'm sorry Dr. Khushi Singh. I just want to ask some questions…” The opposition lawyer grinned. Dhruv dug his nails in his palm, rooted to his seat.

    She gave him a million dollar smile. “That's alright..and yes you can ask.”

     “Were you inside Mr.Kapadia's apartment that night?”

      “Yes. I left in the morning.”

     “Did you see Mrs. Kapadia that night?”

       “No. I did not.”

     “Dr. Khushi you're a very pretty woman, young too. Why did you get divorced from your husband?”

        He froze in his seat. And she just smiled, if she wasn't a doctor, she would've made an excellent actor.

     “That's too personal. But I got divorced because his and my values didn't align.”

      “Can you elaborate?”

    “He is such a bore. He expected me to just be his boring wife…I needed adventure. I needed passion and he typically just worked and stayed at home and then he cooked and did laundry ugh…He was uppity.” She whined about him like she was a ditz. The men around the courtroom looked at her like she was some brainless caricature which she wasn't. He knew she wasn't.

     “Then why did you begin your affair with Mr. Kapadia, your ex-husband?”

       “For what else? Money. Things have been so hard and I realized he came back from the US. You can understand my situation…your honor?!”

       “I do. Doctor.”

     “So you were successful in your seductions?”

   There were gasps around the courtroom. He almost shot up from his chair but Daniel stopped him.

      “Obviously…not! He's still uppity…I would know. I have tried on two separate occasions.”

     “That's all.”

   Dhruv pushed his face into his hands. The public opinion had shifted again. This time, they blamed her. Not him.

    ***

A/N: vote and comment

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

469K 23.1K 63
For her, he is the light of her life. She never thought of leaving him. But unknowingly they got into a fight. He went out leaving her alone in the h...
2.6M 117K 132
Story of an average looking indian girl fighting with her own demons until our hero enters She has insecurities which she couldn't share with others...
685K 24.3K 52
NOTE: Beware of grammatical mistakes " I married you but that doesn't mean that you can control my life". He growled in anger. I flinched at his hars...
398K 27.3K 33
NOOR SHEIKH "He always loved her and he still love her, I was never his priority" MUHAMMAD DAIYAN MALIK "You are nothing but a replacement of my firs...