Prince Of Blood And Shadow

Por VVCollins

Prince of Blood and Shadow is a gripping tale that unfolds in a world of magic, danger, and intricate allianc... Más

Map of Harrowsvale
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 21

28 3 0
Por VVCollins

Once again, he found himself caught between his friends and a swarm of redcaps. Despite the forest's silence, he was aware of their deadly swiftness. Observing his environment, his eyes emitted a deep crimson glow. He couldn't smell anything, not even the fragrant pine that once perfumed the forest. No longer bound by the shackles, he could now inspect his belt. He used up his last purple crystal on the tent's barrier, leaving him with only his sword, powder, and a selection of throwing knives positioned on his thigh and belt for quick access.

Standing up, he tried to connect with Styx through his thoughts, but the Fox remained silent, out of his reach. Once those arrows began flying, he would need the fox. He hoped that Naesala and Keira could endure. Styx would make it to him. He had to. He was the fastest among them and would overwhelm a troop of redcaps. If any of them could make it, it would be him. Believing it was something Inias had to do. They had created a bond between them. Inias would survive for Styx, so he wouldn't be forced to go on alone.

As he made his way across the forest floor, he felt something gently touch his ribs underneath his coat. He paused and retrieved the concealed knife. Upon seeing the golden hawk etched on its handle, he let out a sigh. "Father, give me the strength I need." Inias slipped it back into his pocket and glanced up at the trees. He caught the shine of something shining between the branches and pinned his gaze on it. Those humans were craving a show, and he would give it to them. He was Inias Nightfang, heir to Ivaran, son of Cyran. With the blood of conquerors and mighty heroes running through him, he held the power to liberate his friends. Then, with his father's knife, he'd carve out Caelan's heart.

The moonlight filtered through the dense canopy, illuminating the forest floor. Inias waved his hand, causing the shadows to dance and swirl around him, wrapping him in their embrace. With finesse, he cloaked himself in darkness, perfectly blending into the night. With the full moon above and everything around him full of life, there was more power for him to draw on. In bleak winter forests or during daylight, he depended entirely on his own magical reserves and wits to survive.

Inias started jogging, sticking to the shadows of the forest as he looked around. He didn't have long before the redcaps picked up on his trail. The moon above gave him a good sense of his place in the forest. Now further west, it showed his position to be somewhere east of the tent. They wouldn't leave redcaps in the north of the forest. It was dangerously close to the human world. That meant they would come from the south, east, and west. Since he hadn't sensed their presence, it's likely he came out somewhere in the north.

The sound of a growl caught his attention and made him stop. Tied to a tree was the maenad he'd seen on that box in the tent. "H-hey," Inias approached with a knife as the woman thrashed against her binds. He didn't know if she could speak. The maenads gave off an impression of being feral. As he knelt, he carefully cut the enchanted ropes that held her, and she appeared to calm down. "You're strong, right? I need you to head south. My friend is there. He has a big spear, can't miss him." She blinked and tilted her head as if processing what he'd said, then nodded and tugged at the rope. He released her and watched her sprint ahead.

With her in the lead, he could search for Styx. Keira would be on the lookout for Vestin, Naesala would be out looking for any of them, and gods willing, Sylvis would discover them in time. As the deafening cries of the redcaps reached him, Inias started running. As the shadows enveloped him, he extended his claws. Beyond the black mist, he noticed a bolt of darkness bouncing among the trees and smiled. "Styx!" Crying out, he watched as the fox crashed to the ground on his side. A redcap held a spiked club high above him. As he brought it down, Inias caught it in his hand, causing the redcap to shriek in surprise. Inias threw the club and shoved his hand straight through the goblin's chest. The creature fell limp as Styx pulled himself up. Inias smiled and hugged the fox tightly, saying, "You're alright... thank the gods..."

Inias stood up once more, retrieving a sword from his back and two knives from his belt. "Think you can track Keira?" Inias turned to a nodding Styx whose ears twitched. Despite the absence of scent in the forest, it was common knowledge that foxes had exceptional hearing. While Styx relied on his ears, Inias surveyed the forest. Eventually, he let out a howl and sprinted away from the sound of shrieking redcaps in the distance.

Inias tried his hardest to keep pace with the fox's sudden bursts of speed. Two goblins sat in a tree, bows at the ready. Inias skillfully threw his two knives, and with a purple glow, they weaved through the trees. They circled around, striking their targets from behind and leaving them lifeless on the ground. Styx was in the air, skillfully snatching more arrows while they descended. Inias stuffed his hand into the powder bag and threw a large handful high into the air. The mist spread as Inias and Styx made their ways out of its boundaries.

They released the redcaps into the forest, preventing them from forming their usual raid strategy. He wouldn't have to worry about so many in the trees firing down on him in this battle. Most of the forest was full of pine trees, harder to perch themselves in. As a wave of ground troops rushed towards them, Styx licked his lips and charged forward, clamping his jaw around the throat of one of them. Inias wasn't far behind, bringing his diamond edged sword down onto another. Claws drawn in one hand and his blade in the other, he spun, ripping through one's chest. He brought his sword down on the other, cutting it through the stomach.

Fighting without the smell of blood was a strange sensation. Styx handled it fine, swiftly darting into the trees to catch the few goblins that had climbed. Inias wouldn't let them surround him, keeping them on the defense. Styx would eventually return to take the few who had gotten behind him. Once they were clear, the fox burst forward again towards a flash of blue ahead.

Keira had both her daggers drawn and an aura of blue surrounding her. It had the ability to lash out with small tentacles and thrash any enemies that came too close. By using the defense to her advantage, she bravely fought back against the attacking wave. Styx was quick to clear the trees so she could focus her shields directly in front of her. A redcap brandishing a dagger was being desperately kicked by a figure seated behind her. Vestin. With a swift movement, Inias slashed through the ropes as he lunged forward.

Vestin tore himself free and tightly grasped the redcap's throat, slamming it onto the ground until its screams came to an end. Keira's shields dissipated, causing her to huff in annoyance. Scattered goblin bodies were left behind, leaving them standing in a mess. "Vestin!" With tears streaming down her face, she clung to her brother, burying her face in his chest. "I knew you were alive...I knew it!" Vestin returned her hug, squeezing her little frame tightly. "And I knew you'd come for me."

Inias turned his eyes away. "Vestin..." Unsure of what to say, he knew he had to speak quickly. "I'm so sorry. I should've listened to my father," The two siblings released each other and Vestin shook his head at Inias. He gave him a look that said now wasn't the time, "The ambush was a setup," Vestin spoke, "Caelan sold us out."

"We know, he set this trap for us," Inias answered as he wiped blood from his sword against his coat. "Can you fight?" Keira asked, inspecting him for any wounds. Vestin nodded and cracked his knuckles, "Payback time. Before anything else, we collect Ashryn. I remember where they left her."

"Naesala's out there alone, so is Sylvis," Keira looked to Inias, then to Styx, who had his face buried in a redcap's gut. "Styx and I will find Naesala," he told them and whistled for the fox's attention. "I sent a maenad to find Sylvis."

"We might survive this after all," Keira took a deep breath and pressed a kiss to Inias cheek with an arm around his shoulders. "Keep him safe for me, okay?" She asked Styx, who stood with his paws against her legs so she could pet him. "You can explain the fox later," Vestin eyed the animal curiously and motioned for Keira to follow as he left. "Save your strength for Caelan," Keira reminded Inias as she turned to leave with her brother.

*********

As Sylvis paced through the dense woods, the absence of any scents struck him immediately. What troubled him was not just the lack of smell, but also the unsettling stillness of the woods. The forest harmony was no longer heard, as creatures remained hidden in fear. All he felt was the fear and nervousness coming from the hidden creatures in the shadows. The suffocating silence gave him goosebumps and a growing sense of dread. The longer he waited for Caelan, the more uneasy he became, and now, with his senses dull, he realized he had been lured into a trap.

"Of course he'd set a trap!" Sylvis exclaimed, and with frustration, he threw his fist straight into a nearby tree. What caused him to neglect taking that into account? It should have been the first obstacle to consider and plan around. Sylvis took a deep breath, snatched the spear beside him, and dashed further into the forest. He heard the cries of battle and quickly headed towards it. With the others in danger, waiting for Caelan was not an option for him. Sooner or later, Caelan would come for them. Hopefully, they'd still have the strength to oppose him.

The familiar cries grew louder and louder. The horrified redcaps' cries were heard as they were torn apart. He impaled an oncoming projectile with his spear, which happened to be the upper half of a bloodied redcap. There was a maenad, coming at him with full force. A path of bodies marked the way she had come. Holding the spear close to his chest, he stepped back after tossing the severed body aside, unsure if she was friend or foe.

With a flash of lightning, Devilsbane crackled as the woman stopped abruptly and raised her clawed hands in defense. Straightening her posture, she gradually brought her hands down and widened her eyes in surprise, mirroring the electric energy of his weapon. "Your friends are out there, fighting for their lives." Her voice, unexpectedly deep and ethereal, startled him as she spoke of his friends fighting for their lives.

Sylvis responded with an eye roll, saying, "I already know that," before walking away from her, "Are you coming?" He asked. The maenad remained motionless, gazing into the forest. Slowly she turned to meet his gaze, shaking her head, "Bacchus summons me. I must go with my sisters." Creepy or not, he would've liked to have her by his side. The maenads were almost invincible, even Caelan struggled to defend against them.

She disappeared suddenly, leaving him to fend off the approaching redcaps alone. Dozens closed in around him as they followed the panicked cries of their comrades. With his spear raised high, bolts of red electricity shot into the sky, casting a crimson glow that illuminated the clouds. The goblins surrounding him were struck and scattered by the raining bolts as he brought the spear down. Those who escaped retreated and fled for their safety.

Hopefully, the others had seen it. He was on his way. They only needed to endure a little while longer. Inias and the others had trusted him to lead them. He hated Inias, but he didn't want him to die like this. If Keira and Naesala fell as well, how could he return? That feeling...the thought of failing them...it must have been the same pain Inias carried. It hadn't held him back, it drove him. Sylvis would have to do the same. Gripping Devilsbane tight he sprinted into the forest towards the nearest cries.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.9K 403 18
Sealed within Kealie Gothalis are the secrets of a magic destined to flood her kingdom. Trading her Mortality to disguise the heritage her mother fea...
82.7K 5.4K 46
1st PLACE in the UNICORN AWARDS! On the anniversary of her best friends disappearance, Lyra is ready to accept the inevitability of his death. But wh...
4.4K 637 27
Alvina and Quinn have never been further apart, but their connection to the spirits might be what reconnects them again. *** Quinn av Stál is slowly...
1.2M 74.1K 64
On her seventeenth birthday, Kami receives a mysterious artifact and a ticket to visit her estranged grandparents in Egypt. When she arrives, no one...