The Outer Lord

Par CJMalice

One Tarnished Journey to become Elden Lord, but that's not all. This will be a story of 10 chapters (for now)... Plus

Chapter 1 - The One Of Many Names
Chapter 2 - Shardbearer
Chapter 3 - Rot
Chapter 4 - The Fingers and An Oath
Chapter 6 - Liurnia
Chapter 7 - Raya Lucaria
Chapter 8 - That Which is Broken
Chapter 9 - Deathbed Dream
Chapter 10 - Honour to the Red Lion
Chapter 11 - Silver Blood. The Sorceress. The Queen Manifest

Chapter 5 - Finding Friends in Limgrave

378 11 4
Par CJMalice

The scent was getting stronger, Blaidd was certain of it. His quarry was nearby, but the winds muddied the scent of the traitor, hiding him from the blade of the half-wolf. This wasn't the first time that Blaidd had been so close to scoring his kill, but it also wasn't the first time the slippery bastard had slinked away into the night. Darriwil. That was his prey's name. Once a trusted ally, his loyalty had strayed from their shared master, and thus Blaidd hunted day and night, across rivers and mountains, through the deeps and over the plains.

The half-wolf sat atop the hollowed-out tower of what had once been a minor outpost, now fallen to ruin and devoured by the trees that made up Mistwood. Down below, a Rune Bear slumbered, not seeming to mind Blaidd's howling. The night was moonless, as was every night since Radahn first arrested the stars, but Blaidd howled as if calling to it, willing it to appear for the sake of his master. He knew that Darriwil could slip away from him in the time it took him to do this, but for the half-wolf, this was a ritual of greater import.

Blaidd's wolven ears pricked up, catching sound from down below amidst the rustling of the trees. A rhythmic sound, steady of pace. Then the clink-clank of armour. Someone was approaching. Blaidd waited for several moments, deciding whether or not it was worth his attention. He decided it wasn't. The sound was most likely from one of the decrepit remnants of Godrick's men or one of the countless shambling madmen that wandered Limgrave. They'd likely have just gotten separated from their group or simply grown curious at the howling.

He breathed in and was ready to howl again, when a boot came sailing up in an arc past his head.

''Shut up!'' came an angered voice from below.

''Bloody hell!'' Blaidd cursed, scrabbling to regain his balance. That boot had flown past him so fast, he felt the turbulence from it move his fur. That would have hurt if it made contact. His lips curled back as he grabbed the hilt of his massive sword and leapt down from his perch. His armoured feet thumped on the ground as he landed, his heavy armour plates clanking. When he spotted his boot-slinging assailant, he saw a ragged-looking warrior. Blaidd watched him, and though he couldn't see the other man's face, the half-wolf knew he was glaring.

''That was uncalled for,'' Blaidd said, ''you throw boots at strangers often?''

''Only when I have a reason to,'' Talos replied. He thought the howling sounded a bit strange. It was the simulacrum of a wolf's howl. A good one, but still just an imitation. He hadn't expected this, though. In his travels, he'd encountered all sorts of human-animal hybrids. Most of them were just savage beasts only intent on making a meal out of him, but this one, armoured and armed, looked civilised. He stood upright with a warrior's bearing, without the primal hunch that he'd come to associate with beasts and hybrids. And he spoke, too. Not only that, this massive wolf-man didn't seem immediately hostile, only irked by Talos' interruption of his howling. Still, Talos wasn't about to jump to conclusions. Some of the most inhuman in appearance had ironically been the most human. Priscilla the Half-Breed and the Oeden Chapel Dweller sprung to mind. Both had been kind and gentle souls, sorely out of place in the bleakness that surrounded them. How he wished he could have done something for them.

''I wasn't expecting anyone to be around here at this time. I didn't wake you, did I?'' Blaidd asked, looking genuinely apologetic. Now Talos felt bad. He was stressed and still bottling his rage from earlier in the Roundtable Hold, so he was rather... volatile.

''No, you didn't,'' Talos sighed, ''my humours have been somewhat unbalanced, and my choler has gone unchecked. It got the better of me. The howling only made me lash out. I apologise,'' Talos gave a slight, knightly bow as he spoke.

''No harm done, friend,'' Blaidd said amicably as he held up an open palm, ''the rigours of this land test us all. It'd be a lie to claim my temper hadn't flared at the wrong people. That you apologised says enough that I needn't draw my blade. And for what it's worth, I'm sorry.''

''Indeed,'' Talos nodded, ''let us start over. I am Talos. A Tarnished.'' Blaidd crooked an eyebrow.

''Tarnished, eh? Don't see too many of those anymore,'' he seemed to ponder something, then shrugged his broad shoulders, ''the name's Blaidd. You have a capable look about you, Talos. To tell you the truth, I'm looking for a man by the name of Darriwil. I've been tracking him for some time and heard he'd fled somewhere nearby.''

''And you want to ask for my aid in hunting this 'Darriwil'? Tell me more,'' Talos said. Blaidd nodded and frowned, but not at Talos.

''Darriwil is nothing but a traitor,'' the half-wolf spat, ''in need of a fitting end to his tale. But he's dangerous, I'll give him that. Alone, I'm not sure which of us will walk away from that fight.''

That made Talos think. Blaidd was massive and powerfully built, with Talos only standing to his lower stomach. Whoever or whatever Darriwil was must have been quite the challenge for the half-wolf to have doubts. He was wise not to believe he was invincible. Once, one of the great knights of Boletaria shared a bit of wisdom with Talos. They'd said that a fierce warrior might fight for a decade, but a wise warrior could fight for a lifetime.

Blaidd carried none of the pomp and bravado he'd encountered in countless other warriors, some more entitled their arrogance than others. But it also seemed that while Blaidd was a warrior, he placed practicality over honour, seeking the most efficient way of felling his prey rather than bragging rights for a solo kill. But it could also have been the case that the half-wolf believed that Darriwil was below such considerations. Whichever it was, Blaidd seemed to be of a good sort, so Talos decided he would lend his aid.

''Very well. Is there anything else I should know before we hunt?'' Talos asked.

''Darriwil is more beast than man these days, which might seem odd coming from me,'' Blaidd gave what could be construed as a grin, ''so he's strong, agile and knows how to leverage both. But I'll be with you, so keep your guard up and I think you'll be just fine.'' Well, that was nice of him, Talos supposed.

''Alright. Nothing like a bit of jolly cooperation, eh?'' Talos said, then pointed behind the half-wolf, ''but we might want to take care of the bear behind you first.''

''Bear?'' Blaidd turned, and indeed there was a bear, easily the size of a small house. It loomed over them, snarling with spit stringed between its massive teeth. Little did they know that behind it, a drool-covered boot lay where the beast's head had been.

The duo ended up killing the bear, with Blaidd silently staring Talos down after the incident. The Tarnished had the good graces to take responsibility for it, but in the end, both had a better feel of each other's abilities now. They could confidently say that they could rely on each other in a scrap. Still, Rune Bears were a force of nature, with the beast actually knocking down the tower that Blaidd had used as a perch, sending masonry tumbling down onto the forest floor. It worked against the beast as they both used the massive dust cloud to their advantage as it hid them from sight. In a two-pronged attack, they swiftly took the Rune Bear down.

Leaving Mistwood, Talos followed Blaidd. The half-wolf was, in his own words, following his nose. He'd explained that he'd been atop the ruined tower trying to catch Darriwil's scent, but when Talos asked about the howling, Blaidd didn't answer. Talos guessed it was just a Blaidd thing and left it alone.

''Stormhill,'' Blaidd grumbled, ''I've already looked here. No trace of Darriwil anywhere.''

''Your nose working properly, Blaidd?'' he looked offended by the question.

''It's never steered me wrong before. My nose has saved my life more times than I care to count,'' he sniffed the air again, then huffed, ''bloody wind. Sending too many scents at me. It's difficult getting a grip on the right one.''

For over an hour, they wandered Stormhill, periodically stopping as Blaidd insisted he caught the scent, only to lose it again. There was the odd interruption from roving Kaiden Sellswords and wolf packs. Talos let Blaidd focus on his search, content to follow and watch his back. As he did this, he was having a conversation of his own.

'I need allies, Marika. Blaidd has shown himself to be capable, and I see a great deal of good in him. This is the correct course of action,' Talos said. He'd been ignoring Marika for the last half hour.

'Thou dost not know with what thouest meddle,' Marika chided, 'I knowest of Blaidd, loyal Shadow of Lunar Princess Ranni. He will seest thy worth and work to recruit thee to their cause. Whatever the case, we cannot risk her interference.'

'So what if he does? Where you see an obstacle, I see an opportunity,' Talos said.

'Oh? Do tell, then,' that piqued Marika's interest.

'If what you say is true, then Blaidd can lead us straight to one of the major players in this sick puppet show. From there, I can try to enter into Ranni's service and see if I can ascertain where she stands. If she opposes us and I cannot persuade her to our cause, then I will neutralise her. But if we are of like mind, then I see a mutually beneficial alliance for the both of us,' Talos paused, 'I sense a rebuttal coming.'

'And a rebuttal I shall deliver, dearest Consort,' she stressed the word, 'she is an Empyrean. She has within her the power to establish a new order of her own. If thou provest thyself too useful, which I hath little doubt thou wilt, she may very well try to taketh thee as her Consort. Wouldst thou renege on thine oath to me, Talos?'

'My oath was to our objective of seeing the Outer Gods slain and the Lands Between restored. Not to being your Consort,' Talos replied, rolling his eyes as he did. He could feel Marika's glare.

'And to do that, thou needeth me. Need I remind thee of thy promise? To revive me?'

'Have you been practicing marriage to me while I wasn't looking? You play the role of the nagging wife very well, it must be said,' he took some amusement in her irritation.

'I do not nag!'

'You do.'

'Do not!'

''Talos? You alright there?'' Blaidd spoke, looking down in concern at his companion. Talos blinked. He must have been more absorbed in his discussion than he thought. It didn't help that it was apparently quite easy to push the God-Queen's buttons.

''I'm fine, Blaidd. Just a... nagging feeling, you know?'' he said with a shrug.

'This is not over, thou cretinous boor,' Marika seethed while the Tarnished merely grinned.

''I was talking to you, but you were staring off into space,'' the half-wolf said, ''if it's nothing urgent, then take a look at that.'' Blaidd pointed an armoured hand towards what looked like a... pot? A large one. With arms. Talos had seen many strange things, but this was just bizarre.

''You think Darriwil's in there?'' Talos asked. Blaidd laughed then cleared his throat.

''If he is, then I should really think about stepping down as my master's protector. Blaidd the half-wolf, fooled by a man hiding in a jar. Can you imagine?''

''I would fall upon my sword in shame, personally,'' the two shared a laugh until they heard the massive pot speak.

''Hello? Hello... is someone there? I'm in a spot of bother and I'd appreciate some help,'' the pot called out. Talos' head snapped up to look at Blaidd.

''Did it just-''

''Yes. What, you never seen a Living Jar before?'' Blaidd replied quizzically. The Tarnished shook his head. How was he really supposed to respond to that? A Living Jar? Autonomous pottery? What madness truly gripped the Lands Between that allowed for this?

''Not living, no. Do we help him?'' to that, Blaidd shrugged.

''No reason not to, I think. Never known a Living Jar to cause any bother. Besides, he may know something about Darriwil,'' the half-wolf replied. Talos gave a small, incredulous shake of his head and followed Blaidd. The Living Jar was indeed quite large, wider than it was tall and made of thick ceramic. At its top was a red wax seal, decorated with what looked like a symbol depicting the Erdtree. Two long arms sprouted from either side of its body, looking to be made of gravel and stone, animated through unknown means.

''Greetings,'' Talos said. The Living Jar stopped its writhing and seemed to look at the duo, though it was impossible to tell.

''Ah, how fortuitous!'' the Jar said joyously, ''have you come to help? As you can see, I've gotten myself well and truly stuck. If you would be so kind, just give me a good, solid whack, and I should come free.'' Both Talos and Blaidd hesitated, though for different, yet similar reasons. Blaidd wasn't one to cause harm when it wasn't necessary. It would have grieved him to accidentally shatter the Living Jar with his great strength. After all, a massive brute like him wasn't built for delicacy. Where his strength was concerned, it was all or nothing. Talos held a very similar concern, but where Blaidd might have cracked the Jar open, Talos would undoubtedly pulverise him, reducing him to shards and dust.

''Blaidd, grab his arms. I'll get behind and push,'' Talos instructed as he walked around the Living Jar and placed his hands on the ceramic shell.

''But what if I, uh... pull his arms off?'' Blaidd asked, worried for the Jar.

''Then don't,'' Talos replied, to which Blaidd rolled his eyes.

''Not very helpful, that...'' he said flatly, but grabbed the Jar's arms regardless. On a count of three, Talos pushed as Blaidd pulled, and the Jar was swiftly free of the hole he'd found himself in. Just like his arms, the Living Jar's legs were made of bits of stone, but were rather stubby and digitigrade in shape.

''Good heavens, I'm saved!'' the Jar boomed a jolly laugh, ''fine fellows, you are, for helping me in my time of need. I am Alexander, the Iron Fist.''

''The... Iron Fist?'' Talos asked, now more confused than before.

''Indeed. I am a warrior, you see. On a journey to hone my skills and encounter other mighty combatants in my travels, and you two have the look of champions about you,'' Alexander said, ''by chance, would you happen to know of anywhere I could test my skills?''

''As a matter of fact,'' Blaidd said, ''we're on the trail of a dangerous individual. Goes by Darriwil. A disgraced, bestial knight. You seen him?'' Alexander hummed in thought, one hand stroking what might have been a chin.

''Bestial knight, you say... is he a gangly fellow that walks on all-fours?'' Alexander asked. Blaidd's eyes grew wide and he nodded.

''Yes, exactly like that. So you've seen him?''

''Indeed I have,'' Alexander's tone became serious, ''he's the reason I ended up in that hole,'' he placed his hands on what could have been hips. Talos had given up trying to draw similarities between human and Jar anatomy at that point. Alexander was just a Jar. Why was he gesticulating like a human? ''I have had a brilliant idea! We travel together and give that ruffian his just deserts. He'll be a challenge for the three of us, I'd say. What say you?''

''The more of us there are, the less chance he has of escaping. No arguments from me,'' Blaidd said. Talos just nodded, deciding that thinking about how bizarre this situation was just wasn't worth the effort, so he began to take it in stride. His life had been nothing but one strange occurrence after another. No reason this should be any different.

''Sure,'' the Tarnished shrugged. The three set off, scouring anywhere they could in search of their mark. They searched far and wide across Limgrave, finding nothing for hours. Soon, it was night, and the trio made their way to the Church of Elleh. It was there that they found not only Kale and his donkey asleep, but also a new figure. An almost etheric being sat on the remnants of a wall. She was dressed all in white, with a very broad-brimmed hat with a white robe. Upon seeing her, Blaidd hastily made his way over and knelt.

''My lady,'' he said with his head bowed low. Both Talos and Alexander steadily approached, coming to a stop just behind Blaidd. Up close, Talos could see that she had blue skin that was lined with cracks in some places, with brown rope or cord exposed. Most interestingly, beside the second face like a phantom next to her physical one, were the two extra hands placed delicately in her lap below her steepled upper hands.

''I see thou hast met with allies, Blaidd. Most unlike thee, but not unwelcome,'' the woman said, her voice mellow yet akin to cold winter breeze. She regarded Talos and Alexander, ''Greetings. I am the witch, Renna-''

'She lies, hiding behind the name of another. 'Tis Lunar Princess Ranni that addresses thee, Talos,' Marika said within his mind.

'I see. This will be interesting, then,' Talos replied. He didn't need Marika to tell him. Like the God-Queen, Ranni's presence also roused the irritating itching inside his skull. Though unlike Marika, Ranni felt much closer to the Great Ones, but in a way he wasn't sure he could pinpoint accurately. In a way, she had the scent of the stars on her. It wasn't a scent that any ordinary mortal could know, more like the mind's way of processing something it shouldn't imperfectly, but it was a play on the senses that he'd grown acutely aware of as the Night of the Hunt progressed. Still, he needed to play it safe. He was confident he could kill her should the need arise, but he intended to stick to his original plan. Learn her intentions and use leverage them to his advantage if he could.

''-Art thou the one I hath heard tell of racing about on a spectral steed?'' Ranni intoned, looking impassively at Talos. So she knew of Torrent? That was surprising. And somewhat disconcerting. If she recognised Torrent, what else could she know?

''I hadn't realised word of me had spread so quickly,'' Talos said, ''but that would be correct. He has been a steadfast companion. I am Talos, a Tarnished. A pleasure, Renna,'' he said with a respectful nod.

''And I am Alexander, the Iron Fist. Well met,'' Alexander boomed jovially. A subtle look of amusement played across Ranni's face as she observed the Living Jar. She nodded a greeting in return, but she then focused on Talos. Blaidd then spoke.

''I believe I'm close to finding Darriwil, Lady Renna. I met these two on the hunt, and they've offered to help,'' he said before standing to his full, towering height. She looked up at the half-wolf. As she did, Talos couldn't help but notice that the phantasmal face on the right side of Ranni's own kept a watch of him in particular. It seemed to notice him studying it and the lips curved upwards slightly, pleased about something. Like a silent question had received a silent, satisfactory answer.

''Excellent work, Blaidd. I trust thou will make short work of him with the three of thee. Regardless, exercise caution, won't you?'' Ranni said. Blaidd dipped his head in acknowledgement of her concern. ''Now, Tarnished. I requirest a moment of thy time. Since thou can call upon Torrent, I am here to give something to thee,'' Ranni reached into the folds of her robe and withdrew a small, silver bell, ''I was entrusted this, for thee, by Torrent's former master.''

Talos reached out and took the bell. He'd noticed Blaidd tense as he did, the half-wolf having to fight down his natural reflex to defend his master, evidenced by the finger twitch of his sword hand. It was only natural, Talos supposed. After all, he was a stranger within striking distance, and so Blaidd was exercising quite the measure of trust. He visibly relaxed when Talos held the bell and stepped back.

''Spirits art called to this world with that bell. They will do as thou will them, as they recall battles passed. Now it is thine, to do with as thou wishest.''

''I'm grateful, Renna. But I have questions, if you'd indulge me.''

''Ask,'' Ranni said coolly.

''How is it you know of me?''

''Thine exploits have been far-reaching. Godrick's death sent ripples throughout the land. And word of a great dragon darkening the skies has also reached my ears. I know not how, but thou'st allowed Greyoll the Elder to fly once more. Adula, wishes to express her thanks shouldst thou meet.''

''And Adula is a dragon as well, I take it?''

''Indeed she is. She, like Blaidd, is in my service. Do not be surprised if other dragons have learned of their mother's return.''

Alexander chimed in. ''Hmm, I believe I have seen a dragon on the lake, Talos. It might be worth seeing if they also know of your work. I must say, I hadn't expected this upon meeting you. Impressive indeed, a deed of a champion, I would think.''

''You know I am Tarnished. You know I intend to become Elden Lord. What would you see become of this world?'' Ranni tilted her head slightly, taken off-guard by that rather pointed question. Blaidd's eyes narrowed almost imperceptibly.

''That is quite the question thou pose to me, Talos. Is there a reason I should answer that?'' Ranni asked.

'Thou'st a lack of tact, Talos. Now she is on the defensive. Ranni is a shrewd one, and guards herself well,' Marika said.

'It's fine. What I've done is created an opening. Remember, I'm trying to garner her interest so that I might find out more later. I don't need her to answer now,' Talos replied, 'I will leave her with questions of her own. Blaidd will only encourage her curiosity.'

''You have bestowed upon me a powerful tool. One that I will surely use. However, are you not curious what the Tarnished you've endowed with such a thing seeks to do once I have the throne? Are you not concerned you could be complicit in utter calamity?'' Both Blaidd and Alexander turned to look at Talos.

''What?'' Alexander questioned.

''My lady is more discerning than that,'' Blaidd said, ''and I'd like to believe you wouldn't do such a thing.'' Ranni held up a hand, quieting everyone.

''Thou ask an interesting question. Very well, I will answer. But not here,'' once again, one of her four hands retreated into her robes. Once she had it, she bade Talos to open his hand. ''I hereby formally invite you to my residence. Once you enter the realm of Liurnia, seek the Carian Manor,'' she lightly placed a small seal of royal blue wax into Talos' palm. He looked at it, seeing an intricate crest of glintstone tracery embossed into the surface that glowed a faint, pale blue.

''Present it to Iji once thou enter my lands. Then, nothing should bar thy path without or within the manor. Find my rise and we will converse there. For now, however, I will bid thee all farewell.''

''Take care, Lady Renna. I should return soon,'' Blaidd said as he placed an arm across his chest and bowed low. Alexander followed his example. She nodded, and as people seemed to enjoy doing in the Lands Between, she vanished in a flurry of blue light motes. Then, for a time, only the chirping of night insects and the crackling of Kale's fire could be heard.

''Haven't seen someone invited to the manor. Not for a long time,'' Blaidd finally said, the equivalent of a smile on his lupine face, ''I don't exactly know what you said, but it must have impressed Lady Renna. Not the easiest task, that.''

''I've a talent for that sort of thing, Blaidd,'' Talos said with a shrug, ''but we should get moving. While we stand here, Darriwil could be slinking away somewhere.''

''Right you are,'' Alexander said, ''onward, my friends! That villain shan't escape us!''

''So, this is where you went...'' Blaidd muttered solemnly. The three of them stood on a hill near the Weeping Peninsula, rain lashing down on them from a miserably grey sky. Beneath their feet was a large circle of stone, several meters in diameter surrounded a central, raised circle that pulsed with purple light. It was decorated with names, each scratched into the flagstones. All but one were little more than dark crags. Only one was distinguishable from the others. There, in fresh scars in the stone and glowing with white light, was the name 'Darriwil'. Blaidd explained that this circle was one of many that dotted the Lands Between. They were called Ever Gaols, sorcerous constructs that carved out and contained a false space within. Inside was a perfect replica of the Ever Gaol, only that the world beyond the circle's borders was forever walled off from within, keeping the prisoners within tantalising view of the world outside. To be so close to the world beyond the etheric walls of their prison, yet forbidden from it was a cruelty all of its own.

Blaidd took a steadying breath as he prepared to face down his prey. Once Talos and Alexander made it known that they were ready, the stood upon the purple stone circle and entered Darriwil's prison. It was like they'd blinked and the world suddenly changed. The flagstones of the circle were still there, as were the same rocks and the grass. Around them was a dome of darkness, translucent enough that they could make out the shapes of nearby geography, but little else. Before them, sat in a gargoyle's crouch, was the lanky and armoured form of Darriwil.

''Darriwil. Your treachery ends here,'' those were the last words Blaidd would ever say to the Bloodhound Knight.

From beneath the creature's helm, there was a tinny, rasping hiss as he leaned forward, one hand coming to rest on the ground, while the other reached back to the undulating, curved blade on his back. His off-hand bore a wicked claw weapon mounted over his knuckles with a curved claw for each finger. Belts and straps criss-crossed his body with knives holstered with leather loops. Darriwil watched the trio. His muscles tensed.

Darriwil lunged, his movements and path hidden by a gout of fog. Inhuman agility allowed Darriwil to contort his body in ways few others could. The curving blade of black steel was already in motion, the glinting edge seeking blood. Blaidd was closest. The giant half-wolf unslung his greatsword from his back and brought its great weight down with minimal effort. Weapons clashed and Blaidd pressed in, setting into a bestial style himself as he flipped end-over-end several feet in the air. He came crashing down, his sword splitting stone.

Darriwil somersaulted back and landed in a cat-like crouch. He was still for barely a moment before he was attacking again. This time, he set his sights on Alexander, seeing the ponderous Living Jar as an easier target. He recognised it. This thing had attacked him before. There was plenty to hit, and Darriwil knew one solid strike would split the Jar open and send its innards spilling out. He saw Talos off to the side, his sword drawn, yet curiously, he'd barely moved. As a creature of his nature, Darriwil's senses were heightened to incredible levels. He didn't like Talos. He was wrong, nauseating to be anywhere near. He would need to kill him quickly, but he knew he'd need to be especially careful. He could use familiarity with Blaidd to end the half-wolf. The Living Jar was a joke. An easy kill. But Talos... Darriwil couldn't gauge anything from him. He just smelled of rancid blood and ancient ash that made him feel sick with the sweet rankness of it.

The Bloodhound's sword was a black blur, too fast and too wild for Alexander to effectively counter. The Jar was willing to sacrifice an arm to spare himself of being cracked open, but before he could, he found that he didn't have to. Blaidd was coming again, his own immense blade meeting Darriwil's, sending sparks flying with the keening wail of clashing steel. His body coiled, rolling with the impact against Blaidd's greater strength. A steel-clawed fist came up as he saw Alexander approaching from the side, and he punched through the outer shell of the Living Jar.

Alexander was grateful that he kept his innards towards the back of his body. Darriwil's arm didn't make it far into him before the Warrior Jar's stone grip locked around his arm. However, he didn't see the danger.

''Let go, Alexander!'' Talos called out, but it was too late. Darriwil's body became mist once more and he slipped through the Warrior Jar's fingers, sweeping his blade out as he did, scoring a hit on the Warrior Jar with a percussive crack. The Jar's body bore a long crack, yet somehow held firm. He moved in jinking, winding motions, putting space between himself and his opponents. Alexander stood back, now wary of the hole in his shell, while Blaidd and Darriwil circled each other. Still, Talos observed. This opponent was nothing particularly special. Take one of the werewolves from Yharnam, give it armour and weapons and there, you had Darriwil. But this wasn't his hunt. This was Blaidd's. He'd help if he needed to, but Talos had the distinct feeling that this fight was deeply personal.

A fan of knives was thrown. Blaidd swept his cloak up, the thick fur of it stole all momentum from the two that hit him. Two others went wide, narrowly missing Alexander, while one came straight at Talos. It was plucked from the air between two gloved fingers. Darriwil ducked low ready to spring back into action, but as he did, Blaidd was already bearing down on the Bloodhound Knight with a mighty howl.

Hoarfrost coated the half-wolf's greatsword, misting off of the blade as it spiderwebbed along the length of steel. He swept the blade out and large crescents of magically-imbued ice shot out, chilling the air and freezing the stone as it passed over. Then, he leapt high, sending out more crescents in a barrage intended to freeze Darriwil entirely. However, Darriwil was fast. Almost too fast. He reminded Talos of the Old Hunters, who could similarly vanish into mist as they evaded the beasts they hunted. The Bloodhound weaved and dodged around the first few, but was clipped by two of them. His armour on his left shoulder and across his right leg was flash-frozen, but more than that, the impact of the hits sent him spinning away with concussive force.

Still, Blaidd came. He was set low, his sword held in a reverse grip. He lunged forward in an impressive display of physicality, covering several meters in mere moments. He struck out, his blade poised to take Darriwil's limbs at one forearm and both knees, but the Bloodhound jumped up and twisted himself around in a graceful, yet grotesque display of bodily contortion. He slammed back down and riposted, phasing out and then back into sight as he rapidly closed the distance between himself and Blaidd. The undulating black blade raked across Blaidd's left leg, mostly grazing the armour plates, but enough bit in to find the tough muscle beneath. His leg buckled under the force of the blow and he was forced to whether an assault of rapid slashes, each seeking a gap in his guard.

Alexander bellowed a warrior's challenge, and with speed that belied his bulbous form, he ran and bodily slammed the Bloodhound, sending him sprawling to the flagstones. His incredibly long arms reached out and his hands gripped the fallen beast-knight. Held in place by the front of his armour, Alexander reached back and then slammed a stone fist into Darriwil's beaked helm. The first left a dent. The second crumpled the steel, and the third came crashing down in a hammer strike on the top of his head. Alexander then threw the gangly creature across the Gaol, where he bounced a couple of times before sliding to a halt, digging his steel claws into the flagstones.

Darriwil shook his head to clear the dizziness he felt. Blood ran from his nose and mouth. He was wounded, but he knew how to ignore pain. It helped that pain was the furthest thing from a concern. Not even Blaidd and Alexander were bothering him. They were credible threats, that was undeniable, but the Tarnished was the one causing him the most alarm. Why wasn't he moving? Why was he content to simply watch? He didn't know why, but he felt danger akin to encountering a death trap. He'd live longer if he kept his distance, but he knew getting too close would be a death sentence. It was a visceral sensation that plucked at the meat of the most animal parts of his brain. Could neither Blaidd or the Jar feel it? Surely the half-wolf wasn't blind to the sheer wrongness of his companion. Dull as the was, Blaidd's nose always was too sharp for his own good.

Blaidd came at him like a comet, his sword pointing towards the ground as he struck from above. Darriwil moved, but he knew what was coming next. Injured as he was, he was too slow to evade fully as ice magic burst from around Blaidd in a dome. Darriwil was thrown to the side, his left side frosted through to the flesh beneath his armour.

He rolled on the ground, unable to right himself. He tried to get back up, but a foot in the small of his back pinned him to the ground. Darriwil knew he wasn't weak. He was stronger than any normal human. Even wounded, he should have been able to throw a human off of him. But turning his head, he saw the object of his fear looking down on him, the black slit of his visor promising oblivion. The Bloodhound struggled harder, his clawed fingers and feet scrabbling against the flagstones, but the pressure on his back only increased. He couldn't breathe now, and the pressure was so great that his back armour was warping out of shape, pressing into his spine as his ribs screamed in protest. His arms were too long to grab Talos' legs, and his weapons were useless at such close range. Talos removed his foot from Darriwil's back, but reared his leg back and delivered a kick to the underneath of the Bloodhound's head. His head snapped backward and he rolled onto his back, his neck soundly broken. And yet, he still lived.

Blaidd stalked forward, tall and looming as he stared down at the dying Bloodhound. Nothing else existed but him and the traitor he hunted. Darriwil was unmoving, only his breathing indicated he was alive. In desperation, the Bloodhound Knight lashed out with his steel-clawed hand. A knife punched through his palm and out of the plate on the back of his hand. While it might have been cruel, Talos wouldn't allow any other attempts from Darriwil, and so returned the thrown knife to its owner. The half-wolf spared a moment to look down at the traitor, then raised his massive sword with one arm, then brought it down on Darriwil's neck.

''Well, that's that, I suppose,'' Blaidd said once they were back outside of the Ever Gaol, ''I appreciate your help. My hunt is over, and a traitor lies dead.''

''A victory well earned, my friend. A fight to get the blood up, eh?'' Alexander said, his voice shaky despite his jolly tone as the battle rush was still running strong in his veins. He turned to Talos. ''I must say, you were rather reserved.''

''He's right,'' Blaidd said, ''what was that about?'' he folded his arms across his chest.

''It was your fight, Blaidd. You mentioned that he was a traitor. I'd first wanted to engage him myself, but after hearing that and the way you'd spoken of Darriwil, it seemed quite personal. It wouldn't have felt right to involve myself too much. That isn't to say I wouldn't have stepped in if it was clear I was needed,'' Talos said.

''Honour and principle, then. Fair enough. I won't begrudge you that,'' Blaidd said with a shrug. Then he grinned as he looked at the Warrior Jar. ''I see why you go by 'Iron Fist'. The way you laid into Darriwil was spectacular. Wouldn't want to take a punch from you, mate.''

''Ha, ha! You flatter me, my friend. I promised I would fight, and I had a score of my own to settle,'' he laughed, ''what's more impressive is your skill with a blade. And the magic you used! Extraordinary!''

''I will part with you both here,'' Talos said, ''I still have my own path to follow. I assume I will see you in the manor, Blaidd?''

''If not in person, then remotely. Lady Renna gifts her servants with handy magical trinkets that allow for that. In any case, I hope to see you there. My lady sees something in you. I want to know what it is.''

''And what of you, Alexander?'' Talos asked. The Warrior Jar crossed his arms.

''Hmm, I've no particular destination in mind,'' he paused, ''ah, that's it! If you'd permit it, I would travel with you a while, Blaidd. I'm sure there are plenty of strong foes wherever you wander.''

Blaidd seemed to consider it for a moment, then grunted with a shrug. ''You can come along for a while. I've still got some business here in Limgrave. It'd be nice having company for a change. But I'll need to return to my lady's side soon.''

''Most excellent,'' Alexander said. Talos bade his fellow warriors farewell, promising to fight together again some day. He headed for Stormveil Castle and wandered into the land of lakes.

Talos found himself at a site of grace, his gaze taking in the sight of the scene before him. The evening sky was a myriad of blues with orange bleeding in from the horizon. Stars speckled the sky above Liurnia, reflected in the waters below. Buttes and arches formed from eroded cliffs made up the landscape, creating beautiful natural formations awash with lush greenery. Cold mist blanketed portions of the wetlands, pierced only by tallest willows and the jutting shapes of ruins. The air itself was a lot more moist than it had been in Limgrave, where a tepid, temperate breeze gently blew. Here, the air was colder and smelled of wet earth.

Dominating the view was a singular edifice built on a central rock formation. It was a massive structure with high walls, flying buttresses and high-domed cupolas lined with blue tiles. He could see light through the windows, suggesting that there were inhabitants within the building. Talos was quite taken with it, if he were asked his thoughts. Seath's archive looked rather plain in comparison, and he could feel how swamped with sorcery the place was. There was no way that his task wouldn't lead him to that building. It was as he quietly admired it, he felt a presence nearby.

''Melina?'' he asked, turning from the grand edifice and laying eyes on his companion. Giving her a once-over, she looked no worse for wear than when he'd last seen her, for which he was grateful. ''Hello, stranger,'' he said jokingly.

''Talos...'' she said furtively, ''I would ask you a question,'' she said. Talos nodded for her to go ahead. ''When last we spoke, it was to take you to the Roundtable Hold. What has happened since then?'' she asked, genuine confusion on her face. Talos took a moment to think. He'd thought it was strange that Melina had been awfully quiet for the last day. It wasn't an uncommon occurrence for them to go for a small time without speaking. He knew she was there and would make herself known if she deemed it necessary. But since leaving the Hold, he'd felt a strange absence around him, as though Melina were not only out of sight, but completely gone. And that had only been the case since Marika had intruded upon him.

''You've not been with me?'' he asked and she shook her head.

''I have not, it would seem. It was like... I had been asleep. As your Maiden, I have knowledge of where you are through grace. But It was though I had closed my eye for but a moment, and then I found you here, under starlight rather than the sun,'' she explained, squinting as she tried to recall what had happened.

''I see. I am glad that is all it was, then. I was worried something had befallen you,'' Talos said, his words a mere half-truth. He wasn't happy about this. Not at all. What trickery had Marika employed to mute his companion? While his feelings towards Melina leaned towards neutrality, he had made a promise to her. He would get her to the Erdtree, no matter what. On top of that, he knew that the cycle was still in effect in this world, and so he would not tolerate any interference. He knew better than anyone that to destroy the cycle, one merely had to follow it long enough. Talos explained that he had met with Blaidd and Alexander, then went with them to hunt Darriwil. She made no comment on his little adventure, but nodded along as he spoke.

''I apologise for being indisposed. I hadn't meant to cause you undue stress,'' Melina gave a shallow bow.

''You needn't bow. Neither of us counted on it happening, so be at ease,'' he said gently. It still surprised Melina how understanding and approachable Talos could be. After gazing into his soul and feeling the monstrous yet kingly aura that had threatened to smother her in that brief contact, she understood that a being of such heightened existence had every right to act as he pleased, no matter how cruel or unreasonable. It was merely the way of things. Yet he was neither of those things, and for that, she wasn't sure she could ever properly articulate just how grateful she was. He invited her to sit at the site of grace and she did so, kneeling across from him. ''How do you feel?''

''Honestly? Still a little out of sorts. Like I am still not yet fully awake. I am lucid, but I am fatigued and my thoughts are slowed. But you needn't worry. It will pass,'' Melina said with a small, reassuring smile.

''As long as you are fine,'' Talos looked back out at their surroundings, ''where are we?''

''This is Liurnia. These are the lands once ruled by Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon. It is a place steeped in sorcery, where earth and water are in convergence below us.'' Melina stood and moved next to Talos, where she pointed to the building he'd been admiring. ''That is the Academy of Raya Lucaria. It is where you will find Rennala and her Great Rune.''

''How do you figure that?'' Talos asked.

''I have learned much in my travels. While looking for a suitable Tarnished, I encountered many records and people with knowledge of what became of the Academy and its ruler. 'Tis a... tragic tale.''

''The only kind I'm used to,'' Talos muttered. Melina looked at him, expecting him to expand on what he'd said. He didn't. Talos felt something, a phantom sensation in the back of his mind, but he knew it wasn't his. It had the distinctive, uncomfortable tang of guilt. Marika's guilt. He didn't know how he knew that, but he put it down to the fact that she was now a passenger within his soul. It unsettled him that if he could feel her emotions, then by that logic, she could feel his.

''I've lingered for long enough. Time to move,'' Talos said as he stood. He turned to Melina and offered a nod, ''I will see you again soon, I hope?'' he asked wryly.

Melina smiled faintly. ''Fate willing. I do not plan on going parting from you without due notice again.'' As usual, she vanished, but now Talos was keenly aware that her presence was still close by.

'Marika? I believe you and I have something to discuss.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

124 1 10
Set in the war-torn world known as the Lands Between, this novel is based on the award-winning video game where the player is tasked with repairing t...
90 0 20
This is my most recent work and I spent a while making this one possible. This story has somewhat of a Dark Souls sort of feel to it but it is all mo...
16.8K 375 24
The Bearer of the Curse completed his objective, he explored distant kingdoms forgotten by time and gathered the power of ancient kings, now with the...
149K 9K 28
{Completed, second book is on my profile} (The amazing cover was drawn by @Sleppycandy !) In a world ravaged by war, the only hope of humans and elv...