The Rivalry

thunder1417 tarafından

Lynnae Ahmisto is princess and heir to the Aeryan Kingdom, though she isn't exactly thrilled about the respon... Daha Fazla

The Rivalry
The Rivalry Chapter 2
The Rivalry Chapter 3
The Rivalry Chapter 4
The Rivalry Chapter 5
The Rivalry Chapter 6
The Rivalry Chapter 7
The Rivalry Chapter 8
The Rivalry Chapter 10
The Rivalry Chapter 11
The Rivalry Chapter 12
The Rivalry Chapter 13
The Rivalry Chapter 14
The Rivalry Chapter 15
The Rivalry Chapter 16
The Rivalry Chapter 17
The Rivalry Chapter 18
The Rivalry Chapter 19
The Rivalry Chapter 20
The Rivalry Chapter 21
The Rivalry Chapter 22
The Rivalry Chapter 23
The Rivalry Chapter 24
The Rivalry Chapter 25
The Rivalry Chapter 26
The Rivalry Chapter 27
The Rivalry Chapter 28
The Rivalry Chapter 29
The Rivalry Chapter 30
The Rivalry Chapter 31
The Rivalry Chapter 32
The Rivalry Chapter 33
The Rivalry Chapter 34
The Rivalry Chapter 35
The Rivalry Chapter 36
The Rivalry Chapter 37
The Rivalry Chapter 38
The Rivalry Chapter 39
The Rivalry Chapter 40
The Rivalry Chapter 41
The Rivalry: Epilogue

The Rivalry Chapter 9

40.4K 1K 40
thunder1417 tarafından

I let myself humor the idea that perhaps, somehow, Grant had written the letters. That somehow, he had gotten into my chambers and left the necklace for me, like in my dream. My heart started pounding and my mind whirred - was that even possible?

Entertaining that it was a possibility, I was at the stables in a matter of minutes. I ignored Lance as he tried to assist me.

"Thank you, Lance, but I've got it," I said quickly.

I walked out to the pasture with Cade's bridle. I whistled one long, low note and I heard a snort come from behind me. I turned to see Cade swiftly galloping up to me. I smiled as he came to an abrupt stop inches before me. I patted his nose and slipped on the bridle.

"Sorry Cade, no treats this time. I'll give you double next time," I promised.

I lead him back to the stable and went to grab his saddle blanket but decided against it and grabbed a bareback pad instead, it would do. I didn't feel like lugging his heavy tack up onto him, it would take too long. I wanted to get to the lake as soon as possible, to put this crazy notion in my mind to rest, once and for all.

I led Cade back outside the stable, grabbed his mane and used it to help hoist myself up as I jumped and swung a leg over his back, I'd done this many times. It took me a moment to situate all my bunched up skirts and I was ready.

I kicked his sides and we started off at a trot and then slid into a smooth gallop. I was anxious to get there. I needed to go see who was waiting for me. I knew who I logically thought it was going to be and then I knew who I hoped it to be. Why was I being so foolish?

In a few long minutes, I could see the lake coming into the view. As we reached the side of the lake, I hopped off Cade, hooked the reins over his neck and let him graze. I looked around and became disappointed that I didn't see anybody. All I saw was the lake, the flowers and the beautifully colored trees.

I turned around in a couple circles and still I didn't see anything.

"What in the world..." I said, wondering where they had gone. Maybe I was too late. Or perhaps it was only a trick.

And then I heard his smooth, musical voice laughing at me from behind. I turned and I was once again met with the sight of nothing but the natural scenery.

"Hello Lynnae. It's good to see you again," his detached voice spoke. And then, looking up into the tree nearest me, I saw him. He was sitting upon one of the branches, his back resting against the crown of the tree.

"Grant," I said, smiling.

"It's been much too long," he said. The leaves of the tree started to rustle and then he jumped down from his perch and landed perfectly on his feet, knees slightly bent.

"How long has it been exactly?" I asked. By this time he was standing directly in front of me, looking down into my eyes.

"Oh, I don't know. About....10 hours," he smiled a gorgeous crooked smile at me.

"Impossible, it was only a dream," I breathed.

"Was it?" he said, taking my hands in his. I watched as his hands folded over mine, warm, protecting. His left hand reached into a pocket on his slacks and he pulled out the emerald pendant necklace. He slowly walked behind me and resting the pendant upon my chest, clasped it behind me. His hands lightly brushed my shoulders. Goosebumps ran over my skin as I thought of the first time I had dreamed of him.

"It suits you," he said, more to himself than to me as he moved to face me once more.

"It was only a dream. The necklace is a mere coincidence," I said, not convincing anybody.

"You don't truly believe that," he snorted.

"I do."

"Oh, but you don't," he said.

"But...you would have had to have gotten into my quarters, that is impossible. How would you know where to go? There are guards, it was in the middle of the night."

"There is much you have yet to learn about me, Lynnae," he said.

"...I....." I didn't know what to say.

"You still don't believe?"

I looked up at him, he was staring intently into my eyes, their startling shade of green inviting me in. His mouth parted slightly and his breathing was deep and slow. He was in complete control of himself while I was losing all my control, my entire royal demeanor, everything my mother had taught me about being proper, crumbling.

He brought his right hand up and let it rest on the base of my neck, while the other grabbed my wrist lightly and placed my hand over his heart. I could feel his heart beat, it was strong and steady.

I cleared my throat.

"I want to know how you did it," I said.

"Did what?"

"How you got the necklace," I said. I knew that if I asked how he got into my chambers, he probably wouldn't tell me anyways.

"I was at the market. I saw you looking at it," he said simply.

"Oh," I thought back to the day at the market, I had heard someone whisper my name.

"Well, I do have one more gift for you."

"What is it?" I asked, my eyes locking with his.

"It is a little secret of mine but I cannot tell you yet."

"Why not?" I asked.

"I don't want to scare you," he looked into my eyes.

"Should I be afraid?" I asked. I knew nothing about him except for that he was very mysterious, dangerous even. He had gotten into my quarters twice - how? How did he know where to go, how to get passed the guards?

"Yes. If I told you, you would run from me," he said. "I don't want you to run."

"I won't," I said. It was true. I wouldn't run from him, against my better instincts, I was too enraptured by him.

"You say that now," he laughed. "Let us just get to know each other a little more first, shall we?"

"If you wish."

"Well, is there anything you would like to know?" he asked.

"Everything you can tell me," I smiled.

"That could take quite some time," he laughed. He was so free and so sure. He knew exactly what he was doing.

"I've got time," I said.

"Well, I live in the North. I am an only child," he said, as he started to walk the perimeter of the lake. There was such a contrast between now and the last time I was here. When I was with Roren and now. Roren was always so careful and polite and I wore my mask. But Grant, he was the complete opposite of Roren. He was bold and extremely graceful, elegant. When I was with Grant, I let myself open up and reach out, I couldn't help it. I wondered if that was a mistake. Something in my gut told me that it was.

"Are you a soldier?" I cut in.

"I am, how can you tell?" He looked at me with amusement in his eyes.

"The way you move and carry yourself...you're confident and sure in your movements. Have you trained with Roren?" I asked, slightly embarrassed. He carried himself as if he feared nothing, which was probably true. He had a nonchalant attitude, not caring at all about what others might be thinking of him.

"You are very perceptive. But no, I have not trained with Roren," he laughed deeply and his laugh sent shivers down my spine, as if he was laughing at a joke that only he understood.

For some reason, I knew I should fear him. My instincts told me there was something extremely dangerous about him but I couldn't bring myself to accept it. I was drawn to him in every way. He was the perfect predator but I didn't care. I knew little of him, yet I let my guard down completely when I was with him.

"Thank you."

"Can I know now?

"Hah," he snorted. "Not quite."

"I will not scare, I swear it," I said, hoping he wouldn't notice the shivers that he sent down my spine when he looked at me.

"You want to know, you wish to know who I am," he said, as he stopped walking.

"Yes," I said, facing him.

"Even if you were to fathom a guess of who I am, you would be wrong. I am the farthest from anybody you would imagine I am. I cannot tell you now. Soon, tonight," he said, springing up and walking to me. "And for now, I must go. I will see you soon," he said, brushing loose strands of hair behind my ear, his hand lingering, grazing the skin of my throat. He whistled a low, deep sound, and in seconds, a horse as black as night was weaving through the trees, trying to reach us. He hopped up onto the massive beast, bigger than Arcadia even.

"Sweet dreams tonight, my princess, I'll be seeing you," he promised darkly as he turned his horse and was quickly fading into the horizon. He had never called me 'my princess' before, and the way he had said it gave me the chills and left my breath shallow.

I whistled for Cade and was soon on my own way home, thoughts I could not even make sense of running through my mind.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

113K 3.7K 69
Arabella's and Hardin's story continues.... After almost three years of blissful marriage, and reigning as King and Queen, our star crossed lovers ca...
5.2K 609 34
Lizaveta has always looked like the enemy, but her blood has always been of the throne. After leaving her life on a choice she made with a letter op...
141K 7.8K 69
| 18+| Sequel to 'The Prince's Choice'| Newly crowned king and queen, William and Jade stand at the brink of war. Their union has enraged William's m...
330 48 22
Alexandra is a fierce yet lively princess. She is athletic and has been raised as a prince, with the same education and military training. Alexandra...