The Duke's Daughter -Wattys20...

Par jaidesmama

The Duke of Marlborough has signed betrothal contracts on behalf of his daughter, Lady Arianna Kent. But Aria... Plus

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty One
Chapter Eighty Two
Chapter Eighty Three
Chapter Eighty Four
Chapter Eighty Five
Epilouge

Chapter Forty Two

571 46 1
Par jaidesmama

Arianna descended the stairs to find Bailey awaiting her.

"There you are, my dear. Now that I see the results of your lengthy toilette I am willing to forgive the delay."

"Do you approve, my lord?" Arianna asked, as she spun on the bottom step before him. She had chosen an emerald green and black riding habit from the wardrobe in her rooms. It was a tad bit tight, but modest in cut and Arianna had not been able to leave it for the larger, less form fitting gray one that had also been available. The emerald habit was made of velvet and trimmed with black lace. The short jacket that accompanied it was made of black velvet and trimmed in emerald lace. A small black hat accompanied the habit and green lace covered some of her coif in an attractive way.

"I do indeed, my girl. Let us be off." He smiled, taking her hand and placing his cold lips against her knuckles.

"May I ask where we are headed, my lord?" She smiled up at him, revealing the dimples in her cheeks.

He simply stared at her for a moment, Arianna wondered if she had taken her coquettish facade too far. He tore his eyes from her face and cleared his throat.

"I would like to personally take you for a tour of my island. I believe there are many fascinating attractions you may enjoy." His eyes slipped back to her face. "Last eve you said you could not agree to marrying me because you did not know me. Today, I hope that we can remedy that."

A chill ran down Arianna's spine, but she smiled through it. "If that is what you desire, then I shall accompany you." She stepped closer before him and lifted her green eyes to his. "May we be friends today, my lord?' She saw his lips begin to purse. "If you will grant me this day, to know you as a friend, I shall give you an answer this eve."

He seemed to ponder on that for a moment. "Alright. Friends it is then."

A little weight lifted from Arianna's chest. Perhaps she might survive the day without being raped after all, if only she could keep him believing that she might agree to his lunacy.

As he led her outside and handed her into the open carriage, she sincerely hoped that Thomas would be able to use this opportunity to solidify some plans to get them off of this island.

The monstrous man climbed into the conveyance, making it tilt on it's springs under his weight. Arianna braced herself so that she did not slide down next to him. The carriage's angle righted itself to some degree, as he sat himself in the middle of the seat and took up the reins. There were two horses tied at the back of the conveyance, both saddled. Arianna wanted to suggest that they simply ride, but she dared not to. She must let him appear to have control so that she might manipulate him her way. No matter how much she wished to be in control of her own space, without his thigh rubbing against hers.

*****

The workers had moved off fairly quickly. Derek and Alejandro had waited until all had sat quiet for half of an hour. Once they were certain that no souls lingered about, they moved from the cave, stepping out into the orchard. The sun sat fairly high in the sky, and both men had to let their eyes adjust from the darkness within the cave. The orchard around them was peaceful. Birds called to one another from amongst the branches and the sweet smell of blossoms and fruit met their noses.

A wide, winding path lead through the trees and the men moved towards it. Alejandro lead up a smaller path just off the wider one, they began to trek along it going south. Hopefully, it would lead them towards the manor house, rather than away from it.

They had not gone too far from the cave entrance when they heard the rattle of wheels and hoofbeats coming towards them. They ducked into the foliage that ran along the path and watched as an open conveyance came around the bend towards them.

Derek's breath was stolen from his chest, inside the conveyance, sat his angel next to his nemesis, a charming smile upon her face and her hand resting upon Bailey's arm.

After the conveyance had moved out of sight, Derek sprang to his feet and sprinted after it. Alejandro was right on his heels.

*****

Arianna accepted Bailey's hand down from the carriage, taking in the view around her. The Caribbean was a beautiful place. They stood near the beach, on the edge of the path just outside the orchard. The cliffs rose to her left, the surf broke just offshore, and the turquoise ocean stretched as far as she could see. A gentle breeze lifted her hair from her nape, cooling her skin while still allowing her to enjoy the warmth of the sun. She glanced around again, spotting Bailey freeing the horses and leading them around to where she stood.

"Would you like to ride, Arianna?"

"Yes, Marcus, I do believe I would." He presented his hands and she quickly stepped up into the sidesaddle. The mare she sat upon, was a pretty chestnut, with white stockings and a white spotted nose. Bailey's horse was a large black beast of a stallion, with a flowing, jet mane and tail. His head was lifted high and his ears were cocked, the stallions nose fresh with the scent of her mare. Arianna patted the mare's neck, knowing the reason for the agitation that rippled through her flanks. She had felt that once. It seemed so long ago now. Memories of starlit nights and a handsome Earl filled her mind. Derek..

Arianna was torn from her musings when Bailey cleared his throat. She smiled his way as he handed her the mare's reins, then she started off along the beach at a canter. Despite her present company, Arianna felt her spirits lift with the responsive mount beneath her. She dug her heels into the mare's side and ventured off into the surf, laughing as the mare's hooves sent the salt water up around her. Bailey looked puzzled for a moment and ventured closer. Arianna led her mount onto dry sand near Bailey once more and glanced up the coastline. Three tall palms stood clustered together a fair distance away.

"First one to the trees wins!" She called, and set her heels to her mare's flanks.

Bailey's stallion overtook the mare within thirty paces. He grabbed the reins from Arianna's hands, pulling back and causing the mare to rear up. Arianna barely maintained her seat by clutching to the saddle horn.

"I understand your enthusiasm, my dear, but do not betray your breeding with such shows of recklessness in my presence again. I would not have your neck broken before we say our vows." Bailey growled through a tight jaw.

"What about after, my lord?" She ventured to reply. The only action she saw as reckless was his interference with her control of the mount. She had only been in danger of breaking her neck when he had caused her horse to rear.

"Would you care to rephrase that question?" Bailey asked, the muscle in his cheek beginning to dance.

"I mean, will I be free to enjoy myself if vows are spoken between us?"

The muscle in his cheek slowed it's rhythm but did not stop twitching completely. "When vows are spoken between us, my dear. Have no doubt that you will be my wife. I give you today to calm your fears, I will tolerate no more objections to the matter. You will be free to do as you please once an heir is born. I will not have the crown contest my ownership of the Isle in any way."

"I see." She ventured no further comment and his tight smile returned once more.

"Perhaps we should return to the carriage and sample the basket cook sent along."

She smiled tightly in agreement, as he turned back the way they had come, pleased to follow behind him, free of his stare for a few minutes.

*****

Thomas stood in the study and viewed the book spines that filled the shelves along the wall. Carmelita had said that if one pulled the large book that seemed out of place, a hidden hallway would open. But which shelf was it? Every wall in the study was covered with bookcases.

Thomas supposed he could rule out the walls that lined the outside and the hallway, so that left the north and south wall. Bailey's large desk stood just before the north wall facing south. Perhaps he would have the hallway behind his desk. Thomas moved behind the desk, visibly combing the books for one that was not organized by size. Ah-ha! That had to be it.

Thomas heard the doorknob rattle and quickly hunched down behind the desk. He heard a woman enter the room, humming, and could see small black shoes flit across the room. She seemed to be dusting the bookshelves. Soon she would come around the desk to dust the bookcase he was interested in. He only saw one viable option.

Thomas dove under the desk and hoped that his feet were concealed by the large chair.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

2.2K 67 9
Ella is ecstatic. Her father and Elizabeth are getting married. But a sudden turn of event cause Ella, Will and Elizabeth to get arrested for their p...
797K 25.4K 56
***THIS IS THE FIRST, UNEDITED VERSION OF THIS BOOK. THERE IS AN OFFICIAL COPY BEING PROFESSIONALLY EDITED. SO PLEASE EXCUSE ALL INACCURACIES, MISTAK...
37.1K 1.2K 42
Lily Jane Sparrow is the Daughter of the Infamous Captain Jack sparrow, and a girl who thought her life could not get anymore complicated, living wit...
302K 28.1K 39
Wattys shortlist 2021 "I'm already loving this story" - _singforjoy_ "You are going to get me what I want," Isla said, calmly. "Or I will kill you." ...