Late Night P2 | Rough Draft |...

Bởi Auburnwriter95

After dealing with new enemies and looking for intel in regards to bridgehead - the sully family discover Qua... Xem Thêm

Decisions
Growing Pains
Eywa and Reunions
Ikrans and Training
Ceremonies and Togetherness
Lost and Hopeless 1
Lost and Hopeless | 2
Hopeless | 3
Resolutions | 1
Resolutions | 2
False liberation
Search and Destroy
Returns
Y'kanama
Y'kanama 2
Safe and Sound 🔞
17
Dreams and Hopes
🔞
Healing
No winning
Happier Days | 1 🔞
Happier Days | 2
Happier Days | 3
Spellman | 1
Spellman | 2
Parenthood
Long Hike
'Self' and 'Death'
Stalling
Forgiveness
Forgiveness | 2 🔞
Risks
Garvin
Bickering
Parenting and Practice
Parenting and Practice | 2
Unexpected
Unexpected | 2
Persistent
Moment of weakness
M O W | 2
Painful regret
Unforgiving
Unforgiving | 2
• Set
• In
• Motion
• || Change

Newcomings

80 3 0
Bởi Auburnwriter95

The kids are all sitting around as you and Jake finish cooking up dinner. It's the first time in a long while that they've gotten to eat hexapede.
   A little something to keep them at ease from being both high-camp-home-sick, and Awa'atlu-home-sick.

Jake notices the way you stare out at Lo'ak and Kiri - a faint smile across your lips at the way Lo'ak holds her so sweetly. Trying his best to comfort her.

"What?" He asks, concerned.

And though your gaze stays on the kids, his eyes follow as he looks over them.
   "I know I've said it before, but.. as they get older - It's like looking at you and Grace, only younger. It's bittersweet."

He leans forward to turn over a piece of meat on the fire, and chuckles softly.
"He sure gets on her nerve as much as I did with Grace."

"Poor Kiri." You laugh. "She has to deal with Lo'ak and Da'mik. Two of you. I couldn't have done it."
He playfully hits your arm as he scrunches his nose, offended at your words.
"-If I had to grow up with you and Tom, I would've run away."

"I don't blame you." Norm joins in. "I'd have done the same. One hard headed skxawng was enough."

"Oh please, we weren't that bad together." Jake defends.

"Not what Tom told me." Norm corrects. "He said you had to be sent off to the military after they lowered the age requirement because you were the one antagonizing everything."

"What?" You look to him. "You told me you went by choice for the benefits."

"I mean-" Jake shrugs. "I kinda did. I could have run away— Hey! Ouch!"
  He rubs at the sore spot on his shoulder where you've flicked him.

"I can't believe you lied to me about that."

"I didn't! Not technically...."

"Cut it out before someone gets burned." Max joins in. "I'd rather not have you three fight, kill each other, and then leave me alone to defend these kids."

"It's fine." You insist. "Jake's got his ass straightened out either way, so we're good."

He shoots you a look, truly dealing with someone else being the antagonizer for once.

Tuk makes her way over to you, and climbs into your lap as she expresses that she's cold — and asks when dinner is going to be ready.

Norm hands you a blanket to bundle her up in, and you use a toothpick to pick up a piece of cubed meat to feed to Tuk.
   "Watch out, it's hot." And you blow on it before she so cutely takes it, and nibbles on the sides with a smile of relief.

You lean down to kiss her forehead, and as Jake brings his hand over to rub his palm against her hair - you notice the new growth showing on her head.
    "-we'll have to get your braids redone soon, Tuk-tuk. Unless you want a different style?"

"I like 'reyas hair." She says. "It's so long and pretty."

"You can grow it out if you want to. It takes time, though. I can take your braids out and give you bigger ones like Da'mik has?"

"Ooooh." She expresses cutely. "Sure, mama."

You barely frown as you place your chin on top of her head.
Your last baby.
Growing up far too soon.
She's almost caught up to Da'mik and Spider, soon due to bypass them by the next season.

Jake and Norm start to plate things to hand out to the kids - a mix of meat and vegetables, fruits, or sweets.

It was convenient that there were a larger number of foods both humans and Navi could share.

Max hands you the napkins and plates to count out, and your frown falls to a deeper one as you realize you over counted the plates by one as you hand each individual one to Jake.

At least you caught it before he noticed, a small moment you didn't want to embarrass yourself with as a tear almost made it's way up to the edge of your waterline.

Tuk hears the small sigh, and although she doesn't ask — she still senses something, since everyone's been off after the whole tree incident, and curls herself up more into your hold: comforting you like you do with her.

It doesn't help though, you're trying to keep the tears hidden as the children all sit behind you... thankfully, and wipe away as they fall.

"Mama?"

"It's nothing, baby." You fake a smile to further insist. "Just sad that you have to grow up so fast."

"I want to grow up." She says. "Then I can start training, and fight like you and papa."

You give her a delicate kiss on the forehead, and wrap an arm around her.
   "You'll be the best warrior we have, Tuk. With all this experience around you? No way you won't pass up your siblings."

Norm stretches out after adjusting in his chair, yawning out as he grows tired of waiting for these damn programs.
    "Thank Eywa." He suddenly expresses after clicking around for a while. "Its almost done."

"It's not a problem if we need to stay an extra day or two." You insist. "The kids don't mind spending the time with Lia, I'm sure."

"Except for the part where Lo'ak may just kill us for making him stay away much longer." Norm jokes. "He's been asking to use the radio, but I told him it's only for emergencies since Tonowari has his own things to deal with."

"I'm not surprised. She's his first love. He misses her. I think it's sweet."

Jake is still sitting across the room, in the middle of the older kids.

Norms chair makes a sudden sound as he turns, an expression of concern now showing.
"What if we get back something, and it's enough to make you and Jake stay?"

"I don't think it would be permanent.
  Our home is with the Metkayina now. I know how much the kids miss... here.. but Lo'ak.. Spider... Da'mik- they've all worked so hard.
  They're where they belong."

Which is a bittersweet first when saying that about Spider, considering he had struggled his entire life to fit in with the omatikaya.

"-but we will always come back to you guys if we're needed. Jake and I have homes with both clans, I know we always will."

"Same with us." Max adds. "Just like with Kiri, we'll always be there - regardless of distance. No matter what."

"Shoot. — don't make me cry, guys. I've had enough headaches from doing that."

"Sorry." Norm teases.

"I'll send for Neytiri first thing, though." Max adds. "As soon as we get something, so she can plan ahead on what we need to do."

"Hey Tuk." You grab for her gently, and brush back her hair past her ear. "-why don't you go see daddy for a while?"

"Oh, okay." She says, taking a moment to realize that maybe she shouldn't hear this conversation going on - and skips over to Jake before falling into his lap.

You turn back to the guys.

"What if there's something we can't stop?" You worry.

"Like what? We've been able to out smart them in almost everything so far. We have the home field advantage, they don't know Eywa or this planet like we do. We may have older technology, but we're adapting. We're more Navi culturally than they could ever hope to be, and honestly - that's how we win this." Norm says.

"I don't know.
Something just... doesn't feel right. I know they're wanting this as a new home, still wanting to mine, tried to get the factories.."

"We will figure it out." Max reassures as he interrupts before you spiral off too much. "We always do."

You glance over at the kids for a second, and back to them.
   "If something is going on, and Jake and I have to stay and help — then it's probably best the kids go back to the Metkayina."
  And you look over to norm.
  "—They'll take Lia, too — you know. Tonowari is a great leader, he will look over everyone. I trust him to watch the children or call for us if he needs backup."

"If it comes to it, we'll consider what to do." Norm says. "I just hope it doesn't."

————

The kids are already in bed, snoring away and flipped over one another like a limp pile of limbs and tails.

At least it keeps them warm when they group-sleep.

It's every bit as cute as when they did it as children.

You feel Jake's arm come around your waist as he pulls you in, your back to his chest as he settles his chin on your shoulder.

Everyone is settling in for the night.. well, except for Norm. He's going through hundreds of files in shifts with Max, and there's no telling how late he's going to be up.

Jake calls your name so sweetly as he tucks your hair behind your ear, and kisses the side of your neck as he rests against your body.

"I can feel your heart beating out of your back and against my chest." He says, bringing his fingers to your wrist as he counts your pulse.

"I'm worried, is all. I'm glad we're able to find out something, but ... if it's something we can't stop, are we truly better off knowing?"

"I know we are." Jake sits up a bit, and has you turn to face him. "I don't believe we will find anything we can't stop. With our kids and future generations at risk, I'll die trying for anything."

Your ears fold back at the word.
Death.

Even though it had a more peaceful meaning here with Eywa.. it would be no different than an endless nothing should something happen to her.
Cold, empty, alone.

A few tears work at your waterline, and you try not to call attention to it - but Jake's already swiping the side of his finger to catch them.

"I've always been afraid of dying." You admit. "Even with endless religions back on earth finding comfort in an afterlife, I never believed in one. I tried so hard to."

"It's normal to be afraid." Jake consoles, holding the side of your face sweetly.
"I used to be. Losing my dad to cancer was traumatic to go through...
And then lying in the VA hospital with a wound that, if only a few inches higher, would have killed me.
   But, having you - having our new family. It gave me something worth protecting again. This new body gave me a life worth having.
If dying for it gives it a chance to continue on, even in my absence, then I won't shy away for even a second. My death would be a gift."

Your heart stings at the way it only reminds you of the seadragon battle.

If it weren't for Payakan, he'd not be here.

"—You know I spent so many years warning the war council, Mo'at, and Neytiri that the sky people would return. They wouldn't have it. They refused to believe it." He expresses rather sadly. "But, I tried. I still prepared as best I could with our human families and we found a way."

"By running to the mountains, Jake."
  You sigh so deeply as your expression falls.
It's like the walls in this ten by ten room feel so much smaller as you exhale.
   "I'm so tired of running.. of hiding.
I want to cut their hearts out and be done with it."

"One day.. we will." Jake moves down a bit to press his forehead to yours. "I promise you, whoever is in charge of bridgehead - you can personally show them their own heart when the time comes."

There's a small knock at the partially open door, and Norm calls for the both of you.

The hallways are dim, and the only sound you hear while walking down them is from the kids.

At least they're comfortable, safe, and warm.

"It's Tonowari on the radio." Norm brings up as you both close in on the main room.
  "Asked for us four specifically."

"Really?" You comment. "—That suddenly worries me even more."

Norm takes a seat beside a sleepy Max, and turns the dial so you can all hear one another again.

Tonowaris voice comes in on the other side, and everyone greets each other with formalities.

Despite the laws of Eywa and how they felt on such devices, it did prove a much needed use in this moment.

"What's going on?" Jake asks.

"We have found a human, off to the west." Tonowari shortly states. "My men have him currently."

There's a light sound of steps as Spider and Da'mik seem to be up late - to no surprise, really - as they wanted to bypass the crowd and sneak off to the kitchen area for some drinks.

Jake watches them for a moment, but turns back to the conversation as you lead.
   "Did you get his name? How did you come across him?"

"We found him on one of the neighboring islands during patrol, way on the other side. He has a base similar to yours.
He has a badge on him, which says his name is ... Ian Garvin, I believe."
     Tonowari was still in early days of learning English from Jake, so the pronunciation is a bit rough - but it gets the point across. At least one solid bit of knowledge he could trade with him.

The four of you exchange looks, still confused as to who it may be.

Norm places a hand on the desk, and leans in closer to the radio. "Has he told you anything about who he is?"

"He speaks little Na'vi." Tonowari explains. "I've called to see if you could spare a moment and translate."

Even though Tonowari isn't there, Norm still nods in approval before verbally saying anything.

You can all hear the radio as Tonowari must be moving it around, until what sounds like someone hitting the sand takes over the speakers.

Tonowari yells an order none of you quite catch, and suddenly a shakier, frightened voice comes through.

"State your name." Norm tells him, assuming that shaky tone belongs to who Tonowari had brought them to.

"My- My name is Ian.-"

And before he can continue, Spider seems to have overheard and charges into the main area.
  "Ian?" He asks, scarfing down a cracker. it's no surprise the four of you whip around at the way he calls for the stranger.
"No way. Ian Garvin?"

"Yes." Norm nods, slowly... albeit confused.
   "Do you know who he is, Spider?"

"Spider?" Ian repeats at first, almost shocked to hear the name.

I guess that answers the question.

"Yes." Spider answers anyway. "—He was on the ship when Quaritch brought me.
Hes a field researcher of some sort like you guys used to-"

"Marine biologist." Ian corrects.
"Look, Spider - these men have the wrong idea about me.
  I had nothing to do with the killing of the Tulkun, I swear. I tried to turn away even working with Scoresby's team, but they were going to shut my research down.
   I'm not even part of the RDA anymore, I've been on my own out here for months.
For all I know, they fully believe I'm deceased."

After seeing the absolute decimation back on the island you were once captured — it was hard to believe anyone had gotten away, let alone survived those savages.

"Is this true, Spider?" Jake walks over to him, and places a hand on his shoulder.
"How much do you know?"

Spider stands with his wording.
"He was on the ship, but he had no direct part in it. It was all Scoresby and Quaritch - Ian tried to talk them out of it. They both planned it to draw you out, Jake."

Jake looks back to the three of you, and Da'mik walks in as he joins the conversation - even if only to listen in.

"Tonowari." Jake calls through. "Does he have anything on him? Has he been searched?"

"Yes." Tonowaris voice comes in after a moment. "—He is clean. Only clothing and a mask."

"I promise, I'm telling the truth." Ian almost sobs out, kneeling on the ground before Tonowari as two men stand over him with their staffs dug into his back.

"Spider says he is who he says he is." You add in. "He has no connection to the sky people anymore."

"Sir-" Spider raises his voice a tad bit so Tonowari can hear him better. "-if I may speak-"

A bit of silence before he answers.
"You have earned your place, Spider. Tell me what you know."

"I'm vouching for him, Sir."
Spider steps closer to the receiver.
"He tried to stop the killing, he begged them not to. I swear to you and to Eywa, he had no part in this."
He practically begs for this man's life, the corners of his mouth drooping as his lips purse together.
"Don't kill him. — He could be useful to us."

Your ears upturn at the way he speaks.

Spider definitely carries himself different these days, his posture more upright - his voice deeper and slower.
He holds his head up instead of staring at the floor and shying away due to being a once abandoned orphan.

He's growing into a fine young man, if only his mother were here to see this.

The men all exchange a few words as you walk over and place a hand on his shoulder.

"Alright." Tonowari finishes up the discussion amongst them. "Jake, when you come back - I ask that you take a look at his base, make sure there is nothing left behind to put us at risk."

"Will do. We should be in by late tomorrow." Jake says.

That was the first time you've heard Jake take in an opinion from one of the kids, let alone trust them this much with it.
   Perhaps he was finally seeing how much they'd grown lately, and was giving them space and trust to develop.

The radio clicks off after they say their fair wells, and the boys excuse themselves back to bed.

"I'll come back with you." Norm insists.
"Max and I can help with him."

Jake seems to be in his own world, snidely smirking and scoffing at the situation.

"What is it?" You ask.

"I can't fucking believe it." He finally says, showing a fang or two as he sarcastically smiles. "After all that we just went through, and Eywa practically serves us one of them on a silver platter."

"It'll still help us." Norm shrugs as he leans back. "He may not know everything going on, especially if he's been in the water the past few months - with or without his job."

"He has a point." You remark. "This all helps us."

Jake walks past you and Max.
  "Norm, are the files almost done yet? We really should head back first thing."

"Almost. I can make you a copy in seconds when it's done."

"Okay." Jake nods, slowly.
   "So, tomorrow-
  We'll go over what we have.
I'll need you to go back to high camp - report it to Neytiri, get her caught up - then come back to us and help out with Ian.
Does that work?"

"That's fine, Jake." Norm answers.

"Whatever those files say, we can go over it in the morning. I want everyone rested." Jake persists.

"What do we do if we find out he isn't someone we can trust?" Max hates having to clarify, but his mind wanders.

Jake looks to you, and his head tilts as he raises a brow.
    "We'll cut his heart out and show it to him."

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

69.4K 1.7K 26
Y/N Soccoro, the twin sister of Spider, both of them were too young for a cyrocapsule and instead raised by the lab guys. They had a good connection...
196K 5.2K 30
Abandoned from birth. Trained to kill from a young age. obsessed with escaping earth and exploring the world of Pandora. A young girl finds a book al...
72K 1.4K 21
Tanhì, twin sister of Sylwanin must find a way to look past the sky people's wrong doings to her spieces in order to teach an immature dream walker h...
104K 3K 56
"We are not from here. They do not want us here, they do not love you." "But, I love you. We can stay! Here... at home." Not much of a shock that the...