Love in the Oddest Places (bo...

Από GenVision_2009

Luigi and Mario were simply going to do a simple job: set up a factory's plumbing system, get paid, and go ho... Περισσότερα

Chapter 1: Taken Prisoner
Chapter 2: Throne Room Face-Off
Chapter 3: A Breath of Fresh Air
Chapter 5: Decisions, decisions
Chapter 6: Giving Back
Chapter 7: Punishment Fit for a King
Chapter 8: Unfortunate Spotlight
Chapter 9: Do the Crime, Do the Time
Chapter 10: Beginning Journey
Chapter 11: Acquainted at Last
Author's Notice
Chapter 12: Family Reunion
Chapter 13: Breaking the Ice
Chapter 14: First Steps
Chapter 15: Actions Speak Louder than Words
Chapter 16: Brotherly Bonding
Chapter 17: Wrench in the Works
Chapter 18: Impending Threat
Chapter 19: Barking Menace
Chapter 20: Enemy of My Enemy
Chapter 21: Anguish
Chapter 22: Comfort in the Dark
1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
Chapter 23: Darklands' Hope
Chapter 24: Penny for your thoughts
Chapter 25:Exposure Therapy
Chapter 26: Femme Fatale
Chapter 27: Victory Mark Ceremony
Chapter 28: Onward
Chapter 29: Skeletons in Royal Closets
Chapter 30: Aerial Madness
Chapter 31: Imperial Cold Shoulder
Chapter 32: Swayed Heart
Chapter 33: That's Amore!
Chapter 34: Blast from the Past
Chapter 35: Civil Conversation
Chapter 36: Choosing a Side

Chapter 4: Cast Adrift

3K 94 27
Από GenVision_2009

The metal chains clung tightly to his skin. The muzzle over his face was heavy. Bowser slowly opened his eyes and shook his head. His fiery hair curtained his face. The cell around him was made of cement with a small window.

He was cold.

Bowser huffed, expelling flickering embers from his nostrils. The Koopa King shuddered slightly and stood up but stumbled and fell. Groaning and cursing under his breath, Bowser struggled to his feet; it was difficult, considering he could not move his hands easily. Balance was also arduous since his tail was still frozen in ice. He pulled at the chains with all his might but to no avail. Chain chomp metal. Damn bastards thought of everything. A muzzle to limit his speech and fire breathing; chomp chains to withstand his strength. Bowser pulled at them again. Nothing. Switching tactics, he staggered to his cell door; he tried to lean on the bars, but something yanked him back. Bowser felt behind him and pulled on a chain. Anger and humiliation seethed within him. The mushroomers had removed his wrist and arm bands but left his collar on to act as a leash. His chest rose and fell erratically.

"Sire?"

The furious koopa looked up. Kamek stood in the cell before him, a knot on his head. His robes were tattered, and his glasses were cracked. The magikoopa raised his own chained hands and grabbed the bars, "We are in the Mushroom Kingdom. You have been unconscious for a day," he said. Bowser replied with a growl. No wonder his wounds were healed; his muscles were sore due to the lack of activity. He raised his hand and twirled it around. Kamek touched his head, "The green Mario brother knocked me out and took my wand."

Bowser yanked on the chains; the sound echoed through the sterile dungeon halls. Years of planning down the drain because of that damn hero! If it weren't for his meddling brother breaking free, Bowser would have defeated Mario and completed his conquest. He should not have kept the green man; it was stupid. He underestimated how gutsy the tiny man is and simply thought of him as a doormat; such a thought came to bite him in the ass. Bowser sniffed the air. He detected two unknown scents. He gagged slightly, recognizing the earthy smell of the Toads. But that was it. Just him, Kamek, and two guards somewhere in the distance.

And that terrified him.

Kamek raised an eyebrow, sensing his king's distress. Bowser yanked on his restraints, thrashing and releasing muffled roars. He slammed into the walls and stomped; his eyes wide open with fear. His heart was pounding. He seemed to be searching for something. Kamek opened his beak to ask something, but the realization hit him. Only one thing on this planet could make King Bowser Koopa panic: his son.

Where...

.

.

.

WHERE IS THE PRINCE?

[xxx]

Knock, knock!

The hammering on the door interrupted the brothers' slumber, causing their snoring to cease for a moment. Luigi groaned and burrowed deeper into the covers. However, the person knocking persisted. The little man slowly got up, the blankets covered his lopsided hair. With a yawn, he sluggishly got up and opened the door a bit. Toadette smiled up at him, "Good evening, master Luigi! Sorry to interrupt your sleep, but the princess wanted me to wake you."

Luigi rubbed his eyes. "O-oh... Is it time for the party?" he asked.

"Indeed, it is! I have also brought you your festivity garments. Consider them tokens of appreciation."

The human managed a sleepy smile. "Thank you so much. W-we'll be down there in a minute."

The female Toad handed him a bundle of clothing with a curtsy. Luigi quickly took the clothing, uttering a thank you before slipping back into his room. He yawned and stretched, hearing a satisfying crack in his back. Luigi walked over to his brother and shook his shoulder. "Oy, fratello. It's party time," he said. Mario groaned and turned over. His younger brother was not having it. He yanked the covers off.

"Okay! Okay! Damn..."

Luigi dumped his set of clothes on his face, then headed to the bathroom. As he slowly woke up, the excitement for tonight's festivities started to sink in. It was hard to believe, really. One day he's in jail, the next he is being treated by royalty. Nevertheless, a party is a party. Luigi welcomes anything that could help shake off the frightening experience.

The human paused for a second and looked at himself in the mirror. A bit of color was returning to his skin, and the bags under his eyes were slowly fading away. He almost looked like his bright, cheerful yet shy self again. And he felt like it too. The "festivity garments" consisted of a white shirt beneath a forest green vest and blue jeans. Luigi stepped back, taking in the sight. His heart melted at the residents' kindness. Luigi would like to stay, but he truly misses his home. Their friends must be worried beyond imaginable doubt. A-and surely, Miss Pauline was wondering what happened to them after they disappeared; after all, they were helping her rebuild that energy plant. The man in green hmphed, making a mental note to warn her of the warp pipe hidden in plain sight. Then he realized how insane he would sound, imagining recounting his undesired trip to this world. Luigi could just imagine the headlines.

Local plumbers gone bonkers! Claim to have fought turtles and befriended mushroom people!

Luigi rubbed his face, then egressed the bathroom. Mario stood in front of a vanity mirror, putting on his iconic cap. The younger twin spotted his gloves on the table. "Hey, they even gave us new gloves!" he exclaimed.

Mario chuckled and put on his own pair. "Yeah! I don't know what these things are made of, but they're comfy. Plus, they make holding power-ups safe."

"So that explains how you didn't burn your hands when using that fire power-up,"

His brother nodded. The two quickly finished getting ready and left their bedroom. Mario guided him through the castle halls, whistling a cheerful tune; meanwhile, Luigi gawked at the architecture. The castle was decorated with massive portraits of exquisite detail. Honestly, Luigi felt like he would be transported to new worlds if he stepped through them. And the outside world! Hills upon hills of vibrant green, all glowing with bright lights. Fireworks went off in the distance. A chuckle interrupted his daydreaming, "Come on, Weeg!" said Mario. Luigi yelped and ran out after him.

Once outside the castle, the brother walked straight to Toad Town. They gasped at the adorned village, their eyes wide open. Decorations of green and red hung from the huts. The air fizzled with energy, accompanied by the mouth-watering scent of food. Mario and Luigi spotted a group of children playing around a fountain, goofy mustaches painted on their faces. The two chuckled at the sight. For Mario, it was rather normal; in Brooklyn, some of the kids did that too. Quite a few of them even dressed as him for Halloween. But for Luigi, it took time to get used to it. Being idolized was as foreign to him as this world. Not that he was complaining. Luigi was glad he may have inspired a few young ones.

The heroes continued entering the plaza, greeting any friendly citizens that approached them. Suddenly a flash of pink caught their attention. Princess Peach was helping a group of people set up a table. She looked dazzling in a light pink dress, a garment much more casual for a party than her iconic gown. Mario waved his hand. "Princess, over here!"

Peach turned around with a smile on her face. The plumber twins walked towards her; the eldest more confident than the youngest. Luigi was still getting used to being so casual in the presence of royalty. Mario put a hand on his hip. "Everything looks amazing!" he exclaimed.

Luigi adjusted his cap. "Amazing is an understatement, bro. You all went above and beyond for us,"

The Toads within earshot grinned and thanked him, bashful blushes on their faces. So adorable, he thought. Peach put a hand on her face and flicked her hand, "It was only fitting."

"I'm willing to bet every coin I've got this party is the biggest one yet!"

The trio turned to look at the unknown voice. Toad leaned on a staff, a bright smile on his little face. Peach walked to his side and patted his head. "I see the defrosting chamber works well," she jested.

"It's nice to see you back in action, Toad," Mario said. "And you've already met my twin brother, Luigi."

His brother gave him an unamused glare. The others laughed at his reddening expression. With how unbothered Toad is, it was safe to say there was resentment after the freezing incident. Luigi was relieved. He disliked the fact that his first time using those magnificent power-ups ended with friendly fire. Toad chuckled slightly, "Don't think much about it, Luigi! When we were little and Peach was training, she once used me as a shield."

Peach put a hand on his shoulder. "Oookay! I think that is enough teasing for today. Let's have fun!" she said, her face beet red.

Musicians on a small stage started playing their instruments. The small group of friends clapped and cheered, swiftly joining the other citizens in their dancing circles. Plates of food and goblets of drink were passed around without restraint; the entire kingdom frisked, relishing the defeat of a long-time foe. The brothers took turns dancing with the Mushroom Princess, grinning non-stop. For the first time in a long time, they allowed themselves to relax, to let their guard down. The festive mood spread like wildfire, the air reverberating with laughter and delighted cheers.

A few hours into the celebration, Peach pulled them both aside and climbed one of the nearby mushrooms. Mario and Toad followed her without hesitation; meanwhile, Luigi climbed the stem with heavy precaution and quivering lips. They all took a seat on the mushroom's cap, their feet dangling. Mario and Luigi sat side by side, looking up at the stars. Suddenly a light shot into the sky and exploded into a bright light show with a sonorous bang. The people oohed and aahed, mesmerized by the fireworks. Everything that has happened... The temporary absence of the Power Stars, the fear of war breaking out. It all melted away. Yes, the affected kingdoms needed rebuilding, but for now, the people wanted to enjoy themselves and lift morale.

Mario pried his eyes away from the fireworks and realized Luigi was absent. He looked around, eyes scanning for his little brother; he gently touched Peach's shoulder and queried her about his whereabouts. Sadly, neither she nor Toad saw him leave. Mario pursed his lips, then leaped off the elevated seating. He landed below without a hitch; even a few nearby citizens clapped at his form. However, Mario paid them no mind; he was more focused on his brother. He has noticed Luigi was more quiet than normal.

On the other hand, Luigi ambulated around, analyzing the quaint village; the fireworks still resonated behind. Honestly, the only word that could describe Toad Town was "cute." The layout looked chaotic on a surface level, but further examination showed the practicality behind it all. The nearby mushroom forest provides ample cover and pleasing surroundings; this kingdom could not get any more fantastical than this. Luigi took a deep breath and sighed. He just needed a moment on solid ground; he was not a fan of heights. The fireworks were amazing, but the seating? A little too much for his taste. Plus, he had so much on his mind... He was afraid he would pass out and fall.

The twins were the only humans to have ever visited this realm; and perhaps, that fact was for the best. There was no doubt in his mind greedy people on Earth would ruin the untarnished beauty for their own personal gain. And besides, the gap between realms was beneficial... they did fall in the middle of an attempted invasion. Luigi shuddered, thinking about Bowser possibly trying to invade Earth.

Luigi gravitated towards a nearby pond. He noticed bright red fish swimming within, peacefully drifting with the current. For fish, they sure looked expressive. A few of them looked at Luigi with curiosity, others looked sleepy; one even looked at him suspiciously and approached before its eyes widened in realization and moved along. Luigi quirked an eyebrow. Did... did they confuse me for someone? he thought. Adjusting his cap, he watched as the marine life treaded through the crystalline surface.

Footsteps behind him alerted him. Luigi looked over his shoulder and chuckled at the sight of his brother. Mario walked up to him with a hand on his chest. He sighed in relief before he sat next to his brother. "Sup' bro."

"Hi."

Mario playfully bumped his shoulder. "You okay? You disappeared on us," he asked.

Luigi rubbed his neck sheepishly. "O-oh. I'm sorry. Just needed to get down from up there,"

"Oh, I'm so sorry Weeg! I didn't even stop to think about your fear of heights," apologized Mario.

Luigi raised his hands. "I-it's okay, Mario. I got it in control for a little bit, but I got a lil' dizzy."

The brothers sat peacefully near the pond, having a silent conversation of sorts. They both knew it did not need to be said: neither of them truly wanted to leave. There was so much out there that they have yet to see. But... it felt wrong staying. They had responsibilities back at home, a community to care for; not to mention, dozens of friends and families who would surely miss them. It would feel neglectful to leave their lives behind to pursue adventures. It was a tough pill to swallow... but one they had to take.

[xxx]

"Mario! Luigi!"

The green plumber snorted and woke up with a start. He punched his chest, trying to clear his throat. The startled twins blubbered and arose from their slumber. They had both fallen asleep on one of the tall mushrooms. The morning sun blinded them from above. Instead of being welcomed with joy, they were met with screams. Toadette fearfully stood before them, shaking from head to toe. Mario roughly grabbed Luigi's arm. "Fratello! We gotta get up!" he shouted.

Luigi coughed. "What the hell is going on?!"

"I don't know! Toadette, what's wrong?"

The female toad hugged herself. "Her Majesty... There was a strange rumble early at dawn. Toad and Princess Peach rushed into the forest!"

A quick scan of the town showed the gravity of the situation. Fungal citizens ran in circles, flailing their arms and screaming. Some hid underneath carts and shops, hugging each other as they trembled in fear. A few buildings showed signs of damage as cracks spread across the walls. With not a second to waste, the brothers turned to Toadette. Mario kneeled down to her level. "Did you see the direction they headed in?" he asked.

"East. They headed east!"

Mario's bright blue eyes widened. He rushed in the mentioned direction, almost leaving Luigi in the dust. As they ran down the streets, residents pointed and shouted directions, ushering them on the right path. In a matter of seconds, Mario and Luigi began to be surrounded by dense foliage and fungi. Luigi leaped over a fallen log, "Is *wheeze* this normal?" he asked.

Mario slid down a hill. "Absolutely not."

"Please tell me the Godzilla did not break out already."

"This is even worse... We are moving away from the castle," Mario said.

Luigi gulped and pressed his mouth into a thin line. Their lungs felt tight, and their muscles shouted in protest; however, the super brothers persisted. Well, Luigi was mostly trying to keep up with his brother. He seemed to know exactly where he was going. It was certainly challenging. He has not had this much physical activity since his high school tennis days. The two gritted their teeth and pushed through their discomfort until they stumbled upon a clearing.

Princess Peach was on her knees, holding a piece of stone. Toad leaned on his staff, a hand covering his gaping mouth. Mario rushed to her side and put a hand on her shoulder. "Peach? Are you okay?" he asked.

Peach gave him a blank stare. "Mario... The warp pipe..."

The red hero looked up and gasped. The once mighty warp pipe that protruded from the side of the mountain was nothing but a crumbled heap of stone and dust. Mouth hanging open, Mario approached the rubble and fearfully touched a chunk of debris before retracting his hand back. On the other hand, Luigi was confused. The rubble looked like nothing more than rocks, he did not realize the severity of the situation. Luigi slowly approached them. "What- What happened here?" he asked.

Mario turned to him. "Luigi... This was the warp pipe I fell through. It was going to be our way home."

"... what?"

His voice cracked, the words sounding more like a whimper. Without warning, his legs gave out. Mario yelped and caught him, gently easing him onto easing him into the ground with him. The brothers exchanged a look, eyes glistening. They clutched each other's arms, emotions crashing down on them.

They are not going home.

Never.

Their home... The bustling streets of Brooklyn will never experience their presence again. All of their acquired friends, their clients, and distant family relatives will not know what happened to them. They have been cast adrift, lost in a world far different from their own. Princess Peach and Toad rushed to the lamenting brothers. However, words of solace could never suffice.

Even the onlooker hidden in the dense vegetation felt sorrow for them. Ebony beady eyes stared through tears. 

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

My love. Από Melodee

Φαντασίας

688 17 8
Luigi and Mario two humans that live in a place called the mushroom kingdom. After a few years of them not working because they didn't need to sense...
39.4K 984 17
>Disclaimer I do not own any of these characters, images or whatever Nintendo content I include. I'm just here to write the story. ~~ You're working...
2.9K 247 38
Luigi finds the worst has happened. He's lost the most important thing in his life, and will do anything to get it back. He finds himself teaming up...
198 18 19
I had a dream one night that my persona was babysitting bowser Junior so this story is about that and their friendship New neighbors move into Sarah'...