The Novelle Diaries & The Wam...

Por wrennovelle

Join Wren Novelle in her first year at Hogwarts. An adventurous girl with alot of love in her heart, she qui... Más

Introduction
Chapter 1: The Wand That Waited
Chapter 2: A Trunk Packed Twice
Chapter 3: Friend And Foe
Chapter 4: Ravenclaw
Chapter 5: A Home From Home
Chapter 6: A New Routine
Chapter 7: Morning Walk
Chapter 8: A Very Bad Day
Chapter 9: Music In The Night
Chapter 10: A Cry From The Bushes
Chapter 11: Discovery
Chapter 12: An Unexpected Sight
Chapter 13: A Nasty Scratch
Chapter 14: Friendship Forged In Battle
Chapter 15: Quidditch
Chapter 16: Solo
Chapter 17: A Merry Christmas
Chapter 18: A Letter Arrives
Chapter 19: The Penny Drops
Chapter 20: Wild Magic
Chapter 21: Breaking News
Chapter 23: Praising Pansies

Chapter 22: Cherishing Time

4 1 0
Por wrennovelle

As the excitement and gossip about the Hogsmeade animal fights died down within the students minds, it was replaced by the out rage and disappointment of a very messy and dirty Quidditch final between Slytherin and Ravenclaw, concluding with Slytherin as the victors. A fact that the Slytherins loved to lord over everyone every chance they got but none, it seemed more than Prudence, who revelled in rubbing everyone's faces in it in every conversation.

Since Prudence had changed her tactics in regards to winning Erris' friendship from aggression to over friendly and passive aggressive comments about his choice of company, she had become rather a nuisance in class. She had made it a habit to roughly push Wren out of the way when pairs were required in activities or pinching the chair next to Erris a second before Wren or her friends could sit down. Wren had become rather exhausted constantly trying to intercept Prudence when she made a bee line for Erris and there were many times when she had failed. Erris' mood always became rather withdrawn and moody after a class sat next to Prudence though Rory had found a way of bringing some comic relief into their interactions with her. Every time Prudence opened her mouth to share one of her sickly sweet but arsenic laced comments, he would roll up his sleeve and blow a loud raspberry on his arm, drowning out whatever she was saying. This caused everyone around her to laugh and after a few attempts at speaking she would become so embarrassed and angry that she would storm off, stomping her feet as she went, leaving Rory and his friends in peace. Sadly, as it wasn't in Erris' nature to be able to resort to such childish solutions in class, he simply sat and ignored her as had always been his coping strategy with her.

As the term wore on, lessons and most of the children's free time became focused on the end of year exams. The four friends spent hours in the library making test cards, quizzing each other and researching topics that might come up. As Erris, Rosewaine and Wren had always been top of their classes, they were relatively confident that they would achieve well. Though compared to Erris And Rosewaine who simply seemed gifted in the ability to retain information, Wren had to put in many hours of work to attain the same level as them. Rory on the other hand was drowning in all the academic pressure. Book smarts had never been his strength so preparing for exams was his nightmare. His friends did their best to coach him through, trying different methods for him to learn but there were many study sessions that Rory would leave early because he was becoming so stressed and overwhelmed that he wanted to cry.
Eventually they managed to turn hours of studying into a game, throwing a ball in the Hogwarts grounds whilst firing questions and playing chase, the penalty for being court was being asked a question. These outdoor activities seemed to really help Rory learn and by the time it came to sit the tests he was almost confident though, in the line to enter the class room Erris had to calm him a little with reassuring words.

The morning after the last exam, Rory came skipping down the Ravenclaw table and squeezed in between Rosewaine and Erris, beaming and cheery. It was clear for everyone to see that now the stress was gone, Rory was back to his cheeky, happy self and his friends were very glad about that. It had been hard to see their friend struggle and doubt himself so much especially when they all knew how clever he was. Exams simply weren't designed to measure Rory's type of intelligence, or his skills, which Wren felt was rather unfair. She knew that if they had been given a practical problem to solve, half of the top scoring students would have failed but Rory would have come out a victor.

'Good mornin', my fellow miscreants.' Rory greeted them warmly, then began to load a plate with sausages and toast.

'Glad to see that you've found your sunshine again,' Wren grinned back at him.

'Ay, no' much o' tha' in Scotland so ya got tae mak'it ya self. Speakin o'which, now we are free, what do ya want tae do for th' next few weeks?'He asked everyone excitedly. It was evident that with exam pressure gone, he wanted to make the most of the time he had with his friends before the summer holidays.

'Now that the weather is nice, I think we should spend as much time as possible outside, enjoying the sunshine.' Rosewaine suggested.

'Ay, anyone want tae join me in th'lake? Rosewaine? Erris?' Rory asked as Wren looked on in bemusement. Erris shook his head vigorously whilst Rosewaine shrugged, not against the idea.

'I may have a paddle,' Wren smiled.

'Tha's my girl.' Rory clapped his hands together happily. At that moment one of Rory's pet mice climbed up his robe from his pocket and ran along his arm to the table. Seeing the mouse beginning to chew on a piece of buttered toast, he pulled out a second, rather sleepy mouse from his pocket and gave them both a few crumbs. 'That's a point, I have an announcement tae make.' His three friends looked on at him curiously. 'Me self and me mice had a committee meeting an' we have unanimously decided on names for them.' He picked up the sandy coloured mouse then introduced it, 'This is Blighter and the other one is Bandit.' he grinned proudly.

'That doesn't bode well' Erris muttered with a small smirk.

'Now we 'ave agreed on names, i've been able tae train them tae do all sorts of things.' Rory explained then made a circular motion with his finger and the mice began to chase each other's tails. 'That jus' a simple trick. They can run up people's robes an' retrieve things or place things in people's pockets too.' The excitement on his face was palpable.

'You have taught your mice to pickpocket?!' Erris accused in a rather disapproving voice.

'Ay, well you would ave sniffed at me lock pickin skills til ya needed them.' Rory pointed out. Erris nodded slowly in resigned silence knowing that there was no use in pursuing this conversation.

'Eeeew, vermin on the table, disgusting.' A rather familiar, horty voice issued from behind them. Erris' face grew pale as his back straightened before turning to face Prudence and her ever present shadow Felicity.

'Go away, Prudence.' Rosewaine ordered aggressively.

Prudence ignored her with a flick of her hair. 'I just came over to tell Erris the exciting news. Our mothers have agreed that it would be a wonderful idea for me to stay with you for two weeks over the holidays. Your mother knew you would be so lonely on your own.' she announced in her innocent tone with its vipers clip at the end. Erris simply stared at her, his eyes narrowed in loathing as if he wished his eyes would burn into her then he simply turned away from her without comment and continued to eat his breakfast, ignoring her presence. Prudence stood there awkwardly for a few more seconds before moving on back to her own table.

'Are you ok.' Wren asked in a low, quiet tone as she stared at her friend's rather ashy face.

Erris gave a long, exhausted sigh then replied in a rather cold tone. 'She better bring a good book because those two weeks will be very lonely for her.' Then his expression softened as he watched Wren's anxious face. 'We had better make the most of these few weeks, it's the only summer I am going to get.'

After classes had ended for the day, the four friends headed down to the lake bank to enjoy the evening sun. Rosewaine and Rory quickly found themselves splashing around in the shallows of the lake, Rosewaine's long red sequin embellished skirt catching the light as she bunched it up around her knees as she paddled.Rory had stripped down to his boxers, perfectly happy for the world to see his red polka dot underwear. They laughed rouchiously as they each dodged the splashes created by the other.

As the seasons had changed so had Wren's friends. Rosewaine's skin had darkened once more to the colour of rich, olive parchment as the sun had returned for summer. Rory's hair, that always seemed to be shifting, had transitioned from a rusty reddy brown in the autumn that reminded Wren of conkers just after they had emerged from their shells, to a rather light sandy colour with sun bleached strands weaving in with the residual rust. But it was Erris who had made the largest transformation. From a boy who's robes had hung limply off of his frail, boney body at the start of the school year, good meals and a less stressful environment surrounded by friends had returned his body to a healthy state. His face no longer looked gaunt and hollowed, instead housing a more boyish rounded softness, though his bone structure was naturally rather angular, retaining some sharpness to his features. His body filled out his robes so that his mass finally fit his stature. Tall and still rather lanky as growing pre-teens often are but robust enough for childish activities.

It was clear to see that his transformation had not only been external. Erris no longer practised selective mutism to the world. He was able to speak freely with his close friends and answer questions in class. Though his stilted and military precise body movements had stayed with him for the most part, there were times when his muscles loosened and he held himself in a carefree manner. He was beginning to heal and find confidence in who he was growing up to be, finding the strength to choose his own path regardless of his family's pressures.

As Wren sat on the bank next to Erris, she realised that her first year at Hogwarts had rather changed her too. Though her hair remained ebony and her skin refused to change from the colour of cream no matter how hard the sun tried, she had grown a little in height and gained a few more adult teeth. But these were not the changes she noticed. It was the feeling within that had changed. After a lifetime of only interacting with family members she had found the best of friends. She no longer felt lonely and isolated in the world her family had created for her. She had learnt responsibility and commitment and ultimately, the strength you must have to let loved ones go but most importantly she had found a little peace within herself, though it would be a long learning journey to full acceptance. She no longer tried to fight the little tremors of objects on the table when she was anxious or excited and she found that they subsided far quicker and didn't build up when she didn't suppress them. She realised that she was also feeling less shame when it happened though at times she still berated herself. But for the most part, she no longer felt afraid of herself and that was truly freeing.

Wren smiled to herself as she watched Rory splashing Rosewaine, soaking her outfit and making her squeal as she began to chase him up onto the bank, grabbing a flip flop as a weapon.

'What are you thinking,' Erris asked in a quiet, curious voice.

'That this has been the best year of my life.' Wren replied simply as she turned to look at the boy.

'That, I can agree with.' he concurred with a serene expression as he tilted his face toward the sun to bathe in its warm glow. 'I just wish it wouldn't end.'

'I wish I could make it better.' Wren whispered, knowing what Erris meant. Whilst his friends would spend their summers enjoying the sunshine with their families, he would be cooped up in his living quarters, either with a tutor for extra summer study or in the company of the overbearing and pushy Prudence.

'It is simply a test of perseverance.' Erris's tone seemed to try and convey strength but Wren could hear the undertone of fatigue.

'Shutting out the world must be exhausting.' Wren empathised as she began to pull the petals off a daisy.

'Do you think I'm a coward for not speaking up?' Erris asked a little hesitantly.

Wren looked up and met Erris' light grey eyes. 'Not at all. I think you are patient. Only fools fight battles they cannot win.' Erris tilted his head to the side in confusion as Wren explained herself. 'We all think that we would do differently in these situations. That we would shout and yell and defend ourselves with force but in the end, we are children and there are situations that we do not yet have the power to change. If you yelled and confronted your step mother, she would simply impose harsher restrictions upon you. If you began to argue with Prudence, you would be giving her exactly what she wants, attention, interaction and your precious time and energy. Ignoring her presence is far more effective than any word or insult you could say. You are patient, because one day you won't be a little boy anymore and that is the day that the power will change and you can choose a different course of action.'

Erris stared at Wren, his eyes wide and hopeful then as he blinked away a few tears that had formed, he changed the subject. 'What have you planned to do this summer?'

Wren obliged his topic change, allowing him some time to process what she had said and compose himself once more. 'I will spend the first two weeks with my family, catching up with everyone, then I'm off to France for two weeks. Mum and dad have just finalised everything with Clara, my pen pal's parents for me to go and visit them. They live in a chateau so it should be rather fun and Clara and I will hopefully get along in person. It will be a great experience to practise my french. The last two weeks I will be back with my parents.' she paused for a moment then bit her lip, 'I could ask my mum to correspond with yours and see if you can come and stay for some time at mine if you would like.' She suggested hopefully.

'My step mother would say no automatically.' Erris sighed in a dull tone.

'Your father?' Wren began to clutch at straws, she so desperately wanted to make Erris' summer better.

'Honestly, I wouldn't know his reaction. It is likely he would simply ignore anything that had to do with me. He leaves my step mother to deal with child care but then again, he might agree, simply to avoid seeing me in his house over the summer.' Erris shrugged, bitterness sharp in his tone.

'Then there is hope.' Wren stated firmly which made Erris give her a doubtful, closed mouth grimace but it seemed to have lightened his mood a little.

The children spent their last days at Hogwarts exploring the grounds, swimming in the lake and chatting in the shade of the large oak and chestnut trees that dotted the landscape. It was a wonderful few weeks, full of laughter and messing around. Erris even managed to gain a light tan, leaving Wren as the only stubbornly pale one of her friends though she didn't feel too bad as Rory's Scottish skin had turned lobster red after a day of sunbathing by the lake. On seeing his angry skin Rosewaine had simply pointed at him and exclaimed that she 'would like butter with that' which was met with raucous laughter from everyone involved.

It was strange to think that they had only been friends for a year. With such different personalities they likely seemed an odd group from the outside but that is what made it work. They all felt as though they had known each other for years with their 'in jokes' and references. And they all had one small wampus cub to thank for that.

Every two weeks the group would crowd around a new letter from Baxter Timberly to read how Chirrup and his family were getting on. It seemed that they had settled into the sanctuary really well and Chirrup had become a firm favourite with all the staff. Infact, he was so friendly that he had been chosen as an ambassador animal to raise awareness about protecting magical species.

Wren was always so happy to hear about how well Chirrup was doing and though there were still pangs of loss, they were always made up for by the knowledge that he was thriving where he was.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

870 138 27
Lila Snape always knew that she would be sorted into Slytherin when she would attend Hogwarts. She always knew that she was destined for something gr...
14.6K 662 13
Sophia Brandt is about to begin her first year at Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Although the disappearance of her parents still haunt...
22.8K 463 36
First Book of the Daughter of the Unknown Series!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (Y/n) was adopted by the Weasley family when she was a one year old...
305K 8.8K 35
~ Year one ~ Warning: this is a journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read, over and done with, I don't believe this is fo...