Always, Tulip

De Maureentab

~complete~ But what would happen when a military captain who barely talks meets an overly joyous girl who wor... Mais

▫️Preface
▫️Two
▫️Three
▫️Four
▫️Five
▫️Six
▫️Seven
▫️Eight
▫️Nine
▫️Ten
▫️Eleven
▫️Twelve
▫️Thirteen
▫️Fourteen
▫️Fifteen
▫️ Sixteen
▫️ Seventeen
▫️ Eighteen
▫️ Nineteen
▫️Twenty
▫️Twenty-one
▫️Twenty-two
▫️ Twenty-three
▫️Twenty-four
▫️Twenty-five
▫️Twenty-six
▫️ Twenty-seven
▫️Twenty-eight
▫️Twenty-nine
▫️Thirty
▫️ Thirty-one
▫️Thirty-two
▫️ Thirty-three
▫️Thirty-four
▫️ Thirty-five
▫️ Thirty-six
▫️ Thirty-seven
▫️Thirty-eight
▫️Thirty-nine
▫️Forty
▫️ Forty-one
▫️Forty-two
Extra : proposal
▫️Forty-three
▫️Forty-four
▫️ Epilogue
Author's note
🔸Bonus | 1
🔹Bonus | 2
🔸Bonus | 3

▫️One

50.1K 933 433
De Maureentab

Ginelle's pov

The holiday was over.

I sighed for the nth time with my head resting on the transparent glass window of the fast moving bus. Celebrations were now over and I had to get to work.

I had just left home for the city where I lived and worked. My parents had been against the idea of me coming back so soon but I couldn't disappoint Lora, my supervisor at work.

She was a lovely lady who ran a fairly large bookstore where I worked at. She was also a mother of a young boy, Dalton. I had watched over her son, who was now eight, growing up. We had been friends for three years now since I started working for her.

I considered them family as my parents also knew them. They dotted on Dalton having even packed some new foods for me to bring for them. I'm sure Dalton would be waiting for the food.

I had to fill in Lora's place at work since she had to prepare Dalton for school and as a parent, she was required to be present at all the meetings and that's why despite mama's protests, I had to come back earlier.

I was also supposed to print out some cards for a book display that would be held in a week's time. I pulled out a copy of what I had come up with from the left pocket of my small bag.

It was orange, the name of the book to be displayed at the centre in a black font, the address and name of the bookstore came below that and then Lora's email. I stared up at the small card shaking my head. The orange contrasted everything but I couldn't help it, that was my favorite color. I had to redesign that soon.

Maybe I could ask Jordan for help but I wasn't sure whether he'd be back this week. Jordan was a friend of mine who also worked at the store and always helped me in anything. He however tended to baby me in everything in spite of us being age-mates. Maybe because I was smaller in size.

... everyone is encouraged to stay indoors at this time when the heavy rains continue to pour as floods are expected in ...

The female announcer on the television screen at the front tirelessly announced and I had caught on her words because the volume was slightly raised then lowered again.

I sat up straighter but no one seemed to pay attention to the news as the other fifty one passengers on the bus were more concerned with getting to the city as soon as possible.

I tried to move my feet after being seated for a while as I observed the passing trees. The land was dry and bare, perhaps that was why we didn't mind the rains being announced. There was no rain from where we were coming from and most civilians tended to believe what they could see.

The girl beside me was probably a highschool student. She had her white ear phones connected to her phone and plugged into one ear. The other side lay on her lap where I could hear the loud music she was listening to. Her eardrums might have been noise tolerant.

Other than that, the bus was quiet and when I looked around, most people were asleep. I could have slept out of boredom but the loud music beside me distracted me. I didn't want to receive a nasty comment from the girl if I shook her awake.

I took out my phone and decided to text Leila, she was my other female friend. I had known her years back when I was a sophomore in college when we were looking for empty apartments in the same building.

There was only one remaining thus we decided to live together and our friendship grew from there. She now worked at a top notch media company as a journalist.

Her response was almost immediate stating that she was heading to the bus stop to wait for me. I smiled at that and checked the time. It would take twenty minutes before I alighted.

I ensured that everything was well packed and that I'd brought Leila the anklet she had been wanting to buy so much. Unfortunately in all the stores we'd walked in together, it was either too small or large and mostly not what she wanted but I knew she would like this. A butterfly anklet.

We shall be making a detour due to the damaged bridge ahead.

The driver announced and loud grumbles filled the bus as I tucked in everything safely. The girl beside me stirred awake and I briefed her on what was happening.

That meant that I'd be at most twenty minutes late but I decided not to tell Leila that. She would begin worrying over nothing. I only wished that we could get there before dusk. The sky was getting darker and it would pour soon.

I wanted to get to the safety of my bed by the time it began to pour. Rainy days made me feel unwell and I preferred when it was sunny. The looming dark clouds quickly spread, entirely covering the dark sky. I felt my breath pick up and my stomach churned uneasily. We are all afraid of something, my greatest fear was thunder.

I hugged my bag closer to my body to sooth myself, closing my eyes for a second but when I saw a flash of light in the sky, I pressed the palms of my hands against my ears and sank deeper into my seat. I muffled a cry when the thunder broke and I gripped harshly onto the seat's arms.

The sound of it was extremely loud making me want to sink to the bus's floor. It lasted for twenty seconds. I only knew that because Leila had encouraged me to always count numbers when it happened to divert my fear.

The bus slid just a minute later and screams filled the bus when it wavered. The road we'd taken was no good and as the rain began to pour, it became more slippery. I held onto my ears bracing myself every-time thunder struck.

I repeatedly kept on counting and it felt as if I was going through a loop. The curtains on the window remained drawn thus I could tell when it would strike. My face grew teary till I sank into the metallic floor when the bus skidded to a stop.

Screams went out the entire bus as the thunder mixed up with their voices making my heart beat abnormally fast. Everyone scrambled to their feet to get out but I pressed myself on the bus' walls not moving a millimeter.

I could hear people shouting for help but I could only rattle the numbers out as my body shook uncontrollably on the floor. My fingers had run cold as I curled them over the seats.

We shall be receiving help soon. Military aid has been send.

Someone spoke from the speakers and even though he or she was trying to reassure us, there was fear in their voice. The rain poured heavily as its harsh drops fell on the window above me. I didn't know where we were but I prayed for safety.

Help is here. Kindly remain where you are. Shout if you're in any pain.

It was announced after five minutes or so and everyone seemed to shout. I didn't know whether they were really in pain or they wanted to get off as soon as possible. From my spot, I couldn't make any sound over my harsh breathing.

"One twenty eight, one twenty nine, one thir-" someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around but with my teary eyes, I couldn't see them. I tightly held on the seat feeling entirely helpless with myself.

"Miss," the person called out and I could tell they were crouching. I could also make out that they were male from their voice and their large build that appeared blurred before me.

Thunder struck just then as loud as ever that I held onto the man, my cold fingers gripping onto his large coat. I began counting numbers once more not realizing that his body had gone limp.

I curled into his side, into the warmth that he provided as more tears flowed down my cheeks. He shifted slightly that I looked up at him. His eyes were grey, like the clouds when a storm was building. They stared back at me in what I couldn't place though I flung onto him when lightning flashed.

The sound passed over us like a blanket seconds later that I felt the bus shake if not the two of us. I stifled a small cry clinging onto him like a child. My breathing became laboured when he began to pull away but he whispered hoarsely into my side, "Safe."

I concentrated into the deep timbre voice he emitted until my breathing normalized and he pulled away to look at me, "Okay?" He asked assessing my eyes and I nodded up at him.

I could now make out the thickness of his eyebrows and the slightly damp dark hair that rested on his head. He carefully pulled me up and I wrapped myself around him. I couldn't trust myself to walk alone.

His body went rigid but then in a single glance, he began to lead me out of the bus. His steps were small, ensuring that I didn't stumble and that my breathing was okay. He led me towards the rest of the group that was huddled near a closer building.

I wanted to get away from here into the safety of my apartment. I hopelessly patted the sides of my denim jacket for my phone to call Leila but then I couldn't find it. I had put it in my bag.

"My bag is-" I hiccupped before I could finish my sentence. The thunder had died down though I could still hear it from a distance but the rain was now pouring heavily. The man, my saviour, nodded at my words and rushed towards the bus.

He came back in a flash and handed over the bag. I managed a smile despite my tears as I took it from him. I ruffled through it and took out my phone. There were countless messages and missed calls from Leila and others from Lora.

I unlocked my phone to call her but her name came flashing on the screen. I picked up the call and her panicked voice came through.

"Where are you Elle, it's past the arrival time." She scolded perhaps angry at waiting for so long. She took in a deep breath when I told her about my situation. She didn't ask for the location though and I didn't know where we were but she promised to come for me soon.

I hung up unwillingly from the commotion that began near the shelter as the wind blew the raindrops our way. We squeezed ourselves to fit in the small space that we began pushing each other.

I was standing at the edge of the hallway and a man dressed like an officer came settle the uneasy crowd. It was not an easy task as he almost got knocked over. I wasn't any better because I was pushed into the pouring rain.

I squinted my eyes shut as the drops hit my hair rather harshly and I wondered whether it was raining rocks. I held my bag closer to my shivering self awaiting Leila. I hoped I wasn't too far from the city.

Almost a minute later, an umbrella got pulled over my head and I looked up to see the grey-eyed man. He towered over me and I noticed he had put on a green raincoat.

He held the umbrella for me but when I moved to hold it up and thank him, he shook his head seeming content with holding it. "You're getting rained on!" I frowned slightly trying to lift the umbrella higher so that he could shelter himself too.

He stared down at me and when my actions seemed to register, he pulled himself under the umbrella and I smiled in appreciation. He didn't seem bothered about the rain as I was.

I didn't want to bother him longer so I peeked up to tell him that my friend would be picking me up soon only to find his grey eyes trained on me.

He turned his neck swiftly as if he hadn't expected me to look at him and faced ahead. I moved closer when the raindrops began getting to my arms. He seemed to notice too as he pulled the umbrella towards me.

I didn't say anything until I caught sight of Leila's car pulling over. She walked over towards us when I waved her over. Turning to the man beside me I said, "Sir my friend is here, thank you." I couldn't help it when I squeezed his left arm to express my sincerity.

His eyes turned a darker grey shade and he shuffled his feet as if he was going to stumble as he stared down at me. The hand holding the umbrella wavered that rain got to my shoulder. He cleared his throat and blinked severally. I waited for him to say something but Leila got to us before he could.

"Are you alright?" Leila flipped me around running her eyes over every part of my body then pulled me into an embrace. I nodded at her not minding the rain that fell on us, content with seeing her here.

We pulled apart and she straightened my jacket and lifted up my bag, "Let's go." She didn't seem to notice the man beside us as she turned towards her car. I turned back and profusely thanked him again then waved before I ran after Leila.

I turned to wave again when he didn't move from his spot. Leila placed the bag into the car and just when I was about to climb in, he waved back and a broad smile spread all over my wet face. I fasted my seatbelt and turned towards his direction till he disappeared into the distance.

"Lora has been trying to reach you," Leila said when we had moved further and I pulled my bag to ensure that everything was intact and then text her. I felt the side pockets fishing out the phone replying to her messages.

I leaned back into the warm seats casting Leila a glance, "I'm sorry for being late." She was such a nice friend to even pick me up this late. She hadn't replied before I sneezed ever so loudly making her jump slightly.

I felt for my handkerchief knowing that I was bound to catch a cold. I ruffled through my pockets again when I didn't feel the small card for the bookstore. I searched both sides but it wasn't there.

"Looking for something?" Leila asked and I went into a fit of sneezes again before I could answer. I had to deal with this cold I'd caught and preparing the bookstore's cards all over again.

What a great week I'd be having.

✪ ✪ ✪

What an eventful first chapter! Let me know what you think about this so far. More updates to come soon.

I posted an aesthetic board about this chapter on Instagram, you can check it out and follow for more!

(⁠๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑⁠)

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

1.1K 127 18
"What do you call a fish wearing a bowtie?" Instantly, Sawyer frowns, an unimpressed expression on his face. I continue to smile at him, urging him...
47.1K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
1.9M 50.6K 48
Nicola and Gabriel used to be best friends while growing up, but she had made the classic mistake of falling in love with him, which resulted in not...
179K 5.1K 47
He usually prefers his employees to be less...bubbly. Energetic. A little more like him, essentially. But there was something about her the moment sh...