STARRY EYES ⎯ BRIDGERTON

Paris_El10 tarafından

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ STARRY EYES ╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ- ╰┈➤ ❝ [ You were there when I needed someone ] ❞ ˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥIn which... Daha Fazla

Starry Eyes
act. one
001. Thornharts
002. Tea Party
003. Girl Talk
004. Kiss Ass
005. Decisions
006. Black Sheep
007. Sickness and in Health
008. Worst is yet to Come
009. No Matter What
010. New Addition
011. Grief
013. One Thing After the Other
014. A Little Too Late
015. Time will Tell
act. two
016. Here we go...Again
017. Reunited
018. Deja Vu
019. Letters
020. Sneak Glances
021. May the best man Win
022. Secret Date
023. Gossip
024. Happiness is a Butterfly
025. The Vronskys
026. Revelation
027. Betrayed
028. No means No
029. Conflicted
030. Big Question
031. Ultimatum
032. Marriage
act. three
033. The calm before the Storm
034. Awkward Conversations
035. Set the Trap
036. Whose side are you on?

012. Recovery

4.3K 172 57
Paris_El10 tarafından

~Recovery~

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Nothing felt the same. Nothing felt real. Even after just burying her mother a few hours prior, she still couldn't believe it. Her mother was dead, never to return. Persephone would never be able to see her mother again. To hear her voice. To hug her tight. To have their usual conversations. All of it was gone.

While everyone stayed inside the house, Persephone sat in the garden, her mother's garden to be exact. Rachel always took care of her garden. Every year she planted different types of flowers. This year they were red roses.

Persephone helped Rachel plant the roses in the ground. A bond they shared every year since Persephone was small.

"Persephone, make sure you plant them correctly." Rachel helped Persephone dig a hole to place the rose inside.

"Why red roses? I know I ask you this every year but you told me it was going to be tulips, what changed?" Persephone asked, wiping the sweat from her forehead.

Rachel smiled. "I don't mind you asking questions, sweetie. But to answer your question, whenever I look at red roses, I think of you."

Persephone raised her brow. "Me? Why me?"

"Think about it. A red rose is a beautiful flower but has thorns surrounding it, protecting it from danger." Rachel responded, looking at her daughter. "Persephone, you are like a red rose. Beautiful but dangerous. The moment we made eye contact, I knew you would be tough but carry class and elegance."

"Is that why you named me Persephone?"

Rachel nodded her head. "Persephone, the moment I had you in my arms, I knew you would do great things but you would be a tough woman. You wouldn't back down to no one."

In a way, Rachel knew how her daughters would turn out. Persephone wasn't like Athena. Persephone always spoke her mind and never feared anyone. She would become a strong willed woman. Something Rachel never got to become.

"I want you to do things you want to do. Love who you want to love. Never let people control your life, not even your own family." Rachel advised. "And anyone who tries, show them hell, I gave you that name for a reason."

"And what if I can't?"

"You will." Rachel caressed her daughter's cheek. "I know you will. You are a strong Persephone, you just haven't seen it yet."

"Will you be there? To guide me, I mean." Persephone couldn't do this without her mother. She didn't know how her future would turn out.

"Even if I'm not here, I will always be here with you." Rachel looked at the butterfly that landed on the rose Persephone was holding. "When I die, I will come back in the form of a butterfly. I will never be far, Persephone."

Persephone watched as a butterfly landed on a rose. Memories of what her mother spoke to her rang through her head. Placing her index finger on the rose, she let the butterfly climb on her finger. Carefully, Persephone brought it near her face.

"You kept your promise." Persephone brought the butterfly on the palm of her hand, watching it crawl a little. "I miss you so much but I'm glad you're no longer hurting."

As much as it hurts, she knew her mother was no longer hurting. Rachel never admitted it but it pained her. Each day got worse and as she tried to put on a brave face, Persephone knew. It pained her to watch her mother suffer.

"Thank you for being the best mother you could be. I couldn't have asked for a better role model. I love you so much, until we meet again." Persephone choked up as she felt tears well up, threatening to escape.

She watched the butterfly fly away. Her palms are already feeling the absence of the animal. Persephone had never felt this type of pain. An unbearable pain. A pain she wouldn't even wish upon her worst enemy. Losing a mother is hard.

"They're asking about you inside." Naomi announced, sitting next to her best friend. "I told them you wanted to be alone."

Naomi felt for her best friend. She hadn't lost her mother but she could only imagine how it would feel. She knew her best friend was hurting and she'll be there for her.

"After everything that's happened, I just can't bear to be in a room with fake people." Persephone turned her hand, watching the people inside her home.

They were never there when Rachel was sick. The only family to ever visit Rachel were the Bridgertons and the Everfalls. Rachel's so-called friends never took the time to visit their friend. Instead, they talked about her. Telling people they didn't want to catch whatever Rachel caught. It made Persephone sick, watching them inside their home like nothing happened.

"You can say that again. How are you feeling?" Naomi knew it was a dumb question but asked anyway.

Persephone shrugged. "How would one feel when their mother passes away? I feel terrible."

"I'll always be there for you, Persephone." Naomi spoke as she looked at the horizon. "You're my best friend and it hurts me to see you like this."

"The only thing that pushes me forward is knowing my mother is no longer in pain." Persephone turned towards Naomi. "Thank you for being by my side."

"Always." Naomi spoke, smiling slightly at her. "You're stuck with me for life."

For the first time in a while, a small smile appeared on Persephone's face. She appreciated Naomi and was glad to have her by her side, especially during these tough times.

"You heard about James?" Naomi asked, changing the subject to something lighter.

Persephone furrowed her brows. "What about him?"

Persephone hadn't heard about James since their last encounter and that was years ago. Rachel would always try to schedule play dates but Persephone always refused. As petty as it sounds, Persephone found James annoying and wanted nothing to do with him.

"His parents shipped him to America." Naomi replied. "From what I heard they didn't want James to end up like his brother so they shipped him off to his grandmother."

The Vronsky family cared a lot about their image, more than the Thornharts. After all...they were Dukes and Duchesses, they had an image to uptain. So when their oldest son, Benjamin Vronsky, decided to not only not attend his first social season but become a bachelor for the rest of his life. The news broke and it made the Vronsky image crack.

"But what does James have to do with his brother? Shouldn't he have a mind of his own?" Persephone was confused. How does sending him off across the ocean help him?

"He does but he was starting to rebel a little. His mother said he was acting just how Benjamin was." Naomi responded. "They believe sending him to his grandmother will shape him up."

Persephone looked at Naomi, amused. "And how do you know so much?"

Naomi smirked. "His mother likes to visit my family home a lot. She tells my mother everything."

"And let me guess, you were eavesdropping."

"A lady never reveals her secrets." Naomi laughed, making Persephone laugh as well.

Naomi was glad she was able to brighten Persephone's mood, even if it was just a moment. She hated seeing her so upset.

"Well if that's the case, I hope he stays there forever."

"Don't tell me you're still upset about him making fun of your name?" Naomi questioned her.

"I'm not upset."

"Yes you are."

"Quit it." Persephone chuckled, playfulling pushing Naomi to the side. "I just don't like him."

Naomi rolled her eyes. "Persephone, that was years ago. You can't hold that against him."

"I can and I will."

"Yea, we'll see about that." Naomi abruptly stood up facing Persephone. "Until he comes back just in time for our first social season."

Naomi forced Persephone to stand up as well. Grabbing Persephone's hand, she got down on one knee. "He'll ask you to marry him."

Persephone pulled Naomi up who was hysterically laughing. "Naomi, stop playing games. I will never marry him."

"Never say never." Naomi pointed a finger at her. "I have heard the Vronsky men are irresistible."

There was no doubt the Vronsky men had a reputation. Some say they were sculpted by God himself. Every single man from the Vronsky family was handsome. So when it was close to Benjamin's social season, everyone knew the girls would flock towards him. Bets were made to see who was the lucky girl who Benjamin would pick but alas, no one won. Some were disappointed while others were relieved.

But that didn't mean they didn't have another Vronsky joining the social season soon. There was no doubt James would grow up to be just as handsome as them and many people were waiting for his season to start. But most importantly, they were waiting to see if he would pull the same move his brother did.

"You know, you guys would look cute together. I'm sure his mother would approve of you." Naomi thought aloud. "I heard she'll be picky when it comes to James."

Persephone did hear about the rumors. The Duchess of Salisbury was a very picky woman. There was no doubt she wouldn't accept just anyone to be a part of her family. But the Vronskys and Thornharts had mutual respect for one another.

"For a girl who hates the social season, you sure talk about it a lot."

"Oh trust me I still do but there's nothing we can do about it." Naomi shrugged. As she got older, she understood there was no way around the social season. Sadly, when it would be her turn, she would have to find a suitable husband. "But this isn't about me, this is about you."

Persephone rolled her eyes. "We're both starting the social season together. I'm sure you'll find a lovely husband who can handle you."

"Or I'll just pull a Benjamin Vronsky and never marry."

Persephone huffed. "Your mother will have your head if you don't find yourself a husband. Besides, we don't have that type of luxury."

It was hard being a woman during these times. Women don't have the option to not marry. It's a woman's duty to find a husband and to have children. That's how they were raised to think and act. At a young age, girls are taught about the importance of finding a good husband and having children.

"Enough about the social season, we have a couple of years left." Persephone adds, sitting back down. Even though it stopped her from thinking about her mother, Persephone didn't feel quite ready to talk about the social season just yet.

"You're right." Naomi agrees, sitting down next to Persephone. "We have a couple of years left to relax and enjoy our single life until we have to pop babies."

Persephone leaned her head on Naomi's shoulder. The social season was going to be different, she knew it. But Persephone had a few years left before she had to worry about finding a husband.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

Francis Thornhart yet again called for a family meeting but this time, things were different. They were not going to talk about the death of Rachel Thornhart or the growing tension Persephone and Francis have.

Persephone reluctantly attended the meeting, staying very close to her sister. She avoided her father's presence at all costs. Knowing just by looking at him, she'll get annoyed and start an argument. She didn't want to argue with him. Even if Persephone wanted to, she made a promise to Athena not to speak throughout the entire meeting.

"I called this family meeting on a very important matter." Francis announced as he stood in the center of the room. "I've been called by the King himself. He informed me he needed me to attend some issues aboard."

"Does that mean you'll be leaving?" Athena asked.

Persephone rolled her eyes. If she hadn't promised Athena about keeping quiet, she would have told her it was dumb question to ask. Of course he's leaving you idiot, she thought.

"Yes. I'll be in America for the time being." Francis answered.

"How long are you staying? When are you leaving?" Athena didn't want to admit it but she didn't want her father to leave. They had just lost their mother, they needed their father to be there for them.

"I'll be leaving tomorrow morning. I'm not sure when I'll come back. It could be days, months, maybe even years. This is why I called this meeting. While I'm gone, Daniel will become the man of the house for the time being." Francis stated, turning towards Daniel. "You know what to do."

"Of course, sir." Daniel nodded, understanding his assignment. "You can count on me with anything. I know what to do. I'm glad you agreed."

"Wait." Athena looked between her father and husband in realization. "You knew about this and didn't tell me?"

Athena felt somewhat betrayed. She believed with this type of information Daniel would tell her. This was her father after all. How long did he know about this? What other things has Daniel kept from her?

"Athena, it's not a big deal, don't worry about it." Daniel brushed her off.

Athena furrowed her brows. "What do you mean it's not a big deal? My mother just died and my father is leaving aboard. This is the moment where we have to stick together as a family and you knew my father was leaving this whole time."

Saying Athena was upset was an understatement. She couldn't believe that her father would just up and leave just like that. They had just buried her mother. But she couldn't feel more betrayed by Daniel. He knew her father was leaving and didn't tell her anything. If she would have known, she would have stopped this from happening.

Persephone on the other hand, could care less. She was glad Francis was leaving but she didn't quite like the idea of having Daniel being in charge of everything. Daniel was annoying with no power. Who knows what Daniel is like with just a little bit of power.

"Athena, calm down." Francis tried diffusing the situation. "This is an order from the King, I had no choice."

"Father, I just don't like the idea of you leaving so soon." Athena sighed.

"Everything is going to be alright." Francis reassured her. "I'll be back before you know it."

Athena nodded her head understanding there was nothing she could do about it. Her father was leaving whether she liked it or not. "I'll be sure to handle things around the house."

Even as everyone reassured each other that things were going to be fine, they wouldn't. This was just the beginning for the Thornhart family. A storm was brewing and no one, not even God himself, got to stop the storm from coming.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

! Author's Note !

─◌✰್ The first part of the chapter almost made me cry, especially while writing this chapter I was listening to sad music. But I did want to talk about Rachel's death and the impact it has on Persephone. It will be different with Athena because they were not as close as Persephone was with her.

─◌✰್ There is going to be a time jump in the next chapter and we are just a couple chapters away from finishing act one. 

─◌✰್ Thank you all for reading. Enjoy♡

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

194K 6.6K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
47.5K 1.4K 15
The whole town knew who much Emmaline Davison and Anthony Bridgerton despised each other to the point they couldn't be seen in the same room as one a...
159K 3.6K 16
Magnolia || Colin Bridgerton Every member of the London ton in 1813 knew of the closeness between the Bridgerton and Hayward families. They summered...
20.3K 680 21
𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗹𝗲𝗳𝘁 𝗮 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗺𝗮𝗿𝗸 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗴𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝗿𝗸, 𝗧𝗵𝗲𝘀𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗵𝗮𝗱 �...