Cousin Evelyn ~ Downton Abbey

rocketeerin द्वारा

*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Lev... अधिक

Prologue (pt.1) ~ Burn
Prologue (pt. 2) ~ Welcome to Downton
Introduction
1 ~ That's why I don't like ships
2 ~ The Gala of 1910
3 ~ No rain, no flowers
4 ~ May I have this dance?
5 ~ Thorns
6 ~ A fortune
7 ~ Duke of Cowborough
8 ~ (chapter removed)
9 ~ Goodbye, Bates
10 ~ The other Crawleys
11 ~ Late for a date
12 ~ Conductor Ben
13 ~ The Lawyer
14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak
15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat
16 ~ How to get away with scandal
17 ~ The Downton Fair
18 ~ Andover and under
19 ~ Youthful glow
20 ~ Ungovernable
21 ~ In Full Bloom
22 ~ Ill Omen
23 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.1)
24 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.2)
25 ~ Hero's Amelioration
26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday
27 ~ Confused Confession
A/N: Lets clarify some things
28 ~ I don't like ships...or men
29 ~ A broken girl
30 ~ Happy Seafarer
31 ~ Land of the Free...and Neutral
32 ~ What will be, will be
Big decision
33 ~ Helpless
34 ~ Mercy Ship
35 ~ Familiar embrace
36 ~ Letters from home
37 ~ My dear Evelyn,
38 ~ Rest to a Wraith
39 ~ Homecoming
40 ~ Back to Work
41 ~ Temporariness of a Day
NEW COVER - VOTE!
42 ~ How the mighty fall

43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

3.3K 106 88
rocketeerin द्वारा

"Evelyn, you know she doesn't digest pork well." Robert scolded, peaking over his paper to see Evelyn slipping Isis secret pieces of bacon.

"But she wanted it." She pouted.

Robert chuckled and shook his head. "Then you can clean it when it comes back up."

Evelyn's hand stopped mid-air as she prepared to sneak the dog another piece. She huffed and instead popped it in her own mouth.

"So what do you and Matthew have planned?"

"Just a walk, I suppose."

"Knowing you, it'll turn into a trek up Mount Everest. Well, Cora and I are going on a stroll with Mary and Sir Richard if you'd like to tag along." He peaked over his paper again to see Evelyn's disgusted eyes.

"I'll pass."

He chuckled. "I knew the answer but thought I'd extend the invitation anyway. Well, enjoy your little intimate walk then.  And do find the boy a place to sit, at least. He'll need it when you speak of your travels."

Evelyn nodded. "I will. I was thinking I'd take him to the pond...catch a frog or something."

"Please don't embarrass the family by chasing frogs...again."

"Embarrass the family? Like this man isn't related to you."

"He has every right to disown us."

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Always so dramatic."

"I am my mother's son. You're not going to the hospital today?"

"Not today. Doctor...oh...Major Clarkson told me to take the day off since 'Mister Crawley has come back to town,' as he stated."

Robert smiled. "Kind of him."

Evelyn nodded in agreement before looking up at the clock on the wall - seven-ten. She began taking sips of her coffee, trying to suppress the butterflies in her tummy. She's known this man for several years why on earth was she so nervous? Was this normal?

"Uncle Robert?"

"Hm?"

"Do you still get nervous around Aunt Cora?"

"Nervous how?"

"Like...excited...in a way. Like when you fell in love."

He smiled and folded his paper on the table. "Of course I do. Why do you ask?" "

"I just feel so nervous. I'm afraid it's..."

"Fear?"

Evelyn nodded. 

"Feeling in love and fear feel a lot alike. They both give you those anxious butterflies in your stomach, a sense of excitement, and a general unease physically and mentally. It's easy to confuse love with fear. Then again...you feel fear in love as well. Fear of losing someone you love. So really, they go hand in hand. So...maybe you are afraid."

Evelyn blinked. "It's too early for me to do deep thinking. Thank you though. I'll think on it." She glanced up at the clock. "I better get outside. Scold him if he's one minute late. Bye!" She downed the last of her coffee and hurried out of the door.

Mary was making her way in just as Evelyn rushed by her. "Bye Mary! Have fun on your walk!"

Mary chuckled. "You as well," She strolled into the breakfast room and smiled. "Goodmorning, Papa."

"Goodmorning, Mary. Sleep well?"

She poured a cup of tea and nodded. "I did, yes. So I was thinking..."

"Uh oh."

She chuckled. "No, nothing bad." She took her seat at the table. "You said you planned on getting Evelyn a kitten for her birthday?"

"I did."

"I had a thought: Why don't you suggest the idea to Matthew instead? He'll be here for her birthday, but he'll be leaving again shortly after. I think it might give her some comfort to have something she can love that came from him when he leaves. Knowing that he picked it out for her, helped her with the name. Their first child, if you will." 

Robert thought for a second before smiling. "I think that's a wonderful idea, Mary."

------------

Evelyn stood in front of the mirror by the entrance, rebraiding the end of her loose braid. She tugged a few strands free by her face before taking a step back to look at her dress. While it was Spring, it was a rather cloudy day with a chilly breeze - hence the need for sleeves. But, Evelyn was grateful for the buttons on the cusps if she would have any need to roll them up. 

Pleased with her appearance, she opened the front door to nearly be whacked in the head by an oncoming fist. Matthew immediately retracted his hand and went wide-eyed. 

Evelyn chuckled. "Perfect timing." She looked down to his hand to see a small bouquet of white and lavender baby's breath flowers. 

"If I would have been a second later I would have been the cause of a second broken nose."

"Third."

His brows raised. "What?"

"Nothing."

"Oh...ok." He held up the flower, nervously. His gaze reminded Evelyn of a young schoolboy asking his crush to the fair - it was precious. "These are for you. There was a little cart on the way here and I thought they were quite pretty so..." He extended them out to her.

She grinned and took them gently. "They are very pretty. Thank you."

He nodded and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Let me hand these off to a maid and I'll be right back."

"Ok," 

As Evelyn descended back into the house, Matthew huffed and shook his head. "Pull yourself together...you know her. You've known her for years. You were going to propose to her for goodness sake now you're acting like a fool."

"A fool in love, yes." 

Matthew jumped and spun around to see Tom with a knowing smirk. 

"Being in love makes you a fool, then?"

Tom chuckled and shrugged. "I'd say so. Makes us do crazy things. Go against the current. What man of your standing would wait three years for a girl he was unsure would still want him? Given what is considered as good as law in our society, you should have come home with a fiance...or even married! You had hope...hope many would consider foolish."

Matthew smiled. "Do you consider it foolish?"

"Not at all. Then again, I don't usually see eye to eye with the norms of our society. Besides, Evie's worth being viewed as a fool for. I know you know that."

Evelyn stepped out of the house and grinned at Tom. "Good morning, Tom!"

He smiled, always finding it sweet how she made it seem like a joy in her day to see him - though, for Evelyn, it really was. "Good morning, Evie. You two go on. Have fun. I'll be on my way to The Dowager's house soon."

Evelyn hummed. "Why?"

He shrugged. "Lady Grantham and Lady Rosamund wanted to visit."

Evelyn narrowed her eyes. "One does not simply visit The Dowager Countess...they are summoned."

Tom chuckled. "If anything shocking happens I'll let you know."

"Good. Be my eyes and ears Tommy boy." She looked up at Matthew who was already smiling down at her. "Shall we?"

"We shall." He extended his arm out to her. 

Evelyn led them away from the house a bit before Matthew stopped her. "Shouldn't we have Tom drive us down to the farmlands?"

 "Oh no. I can drive."

Matthew looked at her like she were crazy. "You can drive? Drive what?" Evelyn pointed at the Mercedes. Matthew's jaw dropped. "Is that yours?"

"It was my father's. My grandmother had it sent here."

Evelyn released his arm so he could walk around the car in awe. "I didn't know you could drive. Since when?"

"I knew a little before I left. Got a bit of experience in America and...well, that's it. America. Do you like it?"

He nodded. "It's stunning."

"Well...we're a package deal. So..."

Matthew chuckled. "So to get the car I have to have you?"

Evelyn smirked. "You make it sound like the car is the main attraction! No, no. The car is one of many perks of me."

"Well...I'm interested in you, not the accessories." 

She blushed and cleared her throat...there go the butterflies again. "Do you want to drive it down?"

"Really?"

She nodded. "I trust you're a good driver...of a bike at least."

"Hey, don't make fun of my bike. I like my bike." He pouted playfully.

"Oh no I'm not making fun...it's cute."

"You are making fun of my bike! Well, I planned to let you ride in the basket but that offer has been retracted."

She laughed. "I'm not! I promise. I had a bike when I was younger...I loved it. I should get a bike again. We can go on bike rides."

He smiled. "That actually sounds quite nice."

"I think so as well. Well...hop in. We have a lot of exploring ahead of us."

Matthew wasted no time getting a feel for the car. He was a bit nervous since the steering wheel was on the opposite side, but since it was unlikely they'd come across any other cars, he knew he'd have some time getting used to the switch - and being able to stay on the correct side of the road.

Evelyn closed her eyes and let the wind rush through her hair, trusting Matthew to keep it under control on his own. "You're getting the hang of this."

He smiled, occasionally glancing over at the pretty girl taking in the air beside him. While he knew she meant he was getting the hang of the car, he couldn't help but feel like he was also getting the hang of this - being able to feel free and youthful again. She effortlessly brought that out of him and it would likely forever excite him.

Evelyn lifted her head and scanned over the road, knowing they were getting close to the little road that would take them to the farmlands. However, Matthew had been here a few times with Robert and didn't need too much guidance as he took the road on his own. 

"Just pull off anywhere. We'll walk from there."

Matthew nodded, pulling off the dirt road by a small hill. "Where shall we start? Or are we wandering aimlessly?"

"The latter."

He chuckled. "Silly me to think there was a plan."

Evelyn and Matthew hopped out of the car and began the trek down the dirt roads of farmlands, taking in the sights. The green rolling hills made Evelyn wonder just how much bigger it would all look if it were ironed out. Some cottages and barns and stables sat tucked between the creases in the hay and garden scattered grounds. Some farm animals of various species and purposes roamed freely - some in paddocks. It was a peacefully functioning bit of farmland that Evelyn felt she hadn't visited in far too long. When she was younger she'd spend hours running through the long grass that waited to be cut for hay. Life was simpler then; then again, to Evelyn, simply reverting back to her youthfulness could fix that. 

The couple walked aimlessly as planned, chatting away about Downton and the village - both avoiding the looming matter of war talk. Evelyn dreaded her own tales more than Matthew. 

"That's wonderful! So where is he now?" Matthew asked, continuing the topic of Anna and Bates's engagement.

"I'm not sure. She hasn't heard from him much. I don't think he'll be gone long."

"Did you see it coming? The engagement."

Well...she wasn't exactly here to see it coming.

"In a way I did. I wasn't here for Anna like I would have liked to have been."

"So you were still in America when he proposed?"

Evelyn sighed. "No...I wasn't." 

"So you were here?"

"No...I wasn't."

Matthew furrowed his brows. "Where-"

"Oh! There's the Drake's farm. We wanted to see Edith. Come on!" Evelyn began a fast-paced skip down the hill towards the small cottage and farm.

Matthew stood in place for a moment, slightly bewildered. Eventually, he followed the energetic girl to the farm. 

From a distance, Evelyn could see the tractor hooked up to a cart of hay - so Edith shouldn't have been too far away. Matthew caught up to Evelyn, gently grazing his hand on her back as to not scare her - since she was so focused on scouting for Edith. She smiled at him and continued her search. While she didn't spot Edith, she did see a rather unhappy Mrs. Drake leaving the cow barn. Mrs. Drake being unhappy wasn't a new thing as the woman was known to be snippy.

To be kind anyway, Evelyn and Matthew reluctantly approached her. "Good morning, Mises Drake. How're you today."

She looked up from her bucket of milk with a scowl. "I need a word with you."

Evelyn's smile fell. "Of course. What's troubling you?"

"Your cousin."

"Edith? Has she not been working like she said she would?"

"Oh, she's been working just fine...working on my husband."

Evelyn was a bit shocked...then again not really. "I'm sure there must be a misunderstanding -"

"I don't right think so. I know my husband. He's been acting different...that girl is doing something to him." She spat.

Evelyn understood the woman's frustration, but she didn't know what to do. 

Matthew sensed Evelyn's loss for thought and tried to diffuse the angry woman. "Would you like us to talk to Edith? Maybe clear things up. As Evelyn said I'm sure it's nothing more than a misunderstanding."

Mrs. Drake scoffed. "Clear things up? There's nothing to clear up. I know what I'm seeing. As a matter of fact, why don't ye come see for yourself? I'm sure they're having a right old chat as we speak."

Mrs. Drake stomped off to the tractor. Evelyn glanced up at Matthew and sighed. "So much for a peaceful walk."

He smiled. "This ruins nothing. We'll handle it and continue with our day."

Evelyn shook her head. "That's the thing...I don't think it's as much of a misunderstanding as we would like it to be..."

Mrs. Drake stepped around the trailer to see Edith and Mr. Drake chatting, as she said they would be. The hidden couple had obvious blushes on their cheeks.

"Is something wrong?" She asked them.

Mr. Drake shook his head. "No. Just taking a break."

Evelyn and Matthew stepped into view causing Edith a surprise. "Evelyn...Matthew...hello. What're you two doing here?"

"We were on a walk and thought we'd come to see you at work." Evelyn smiled, a hint of disappointment behind her eyes. 

Edith recognized it clearly. She knew Evelyn well enough to pick up on subtle tone shifts.

Matthew smiled at them. "Hello, Edith...Mister Drake."

"Pleasure to see you both." Mr. Drake smiled. He was always a kind man...but now he was a kind man with obvious panic in his voice under the gaze of Evelyn. 

Mrs. Drake cleared her throat, looking at her husband. "You best get into town to fetch the bone meal. And be back in time to feed the cows before it's dark."

"They could always have a midnight feast." Edith joked.

The two laughed at the banter while Mrs. Drake glared, glancing at Evelyn as to say 'see.' Evelyn hung her head. 

Mr. Drake adjusted his hat amid his wife's glare and discarded himself of any smile. "I'll be off then. Lovely to see you, Lady Evelyn."

"I'll walk you to your truck." Matthew offered.

Mr. Drake smiled kindly and nodded as the men left the three women with the tension. They all eyed each other, Mrs. Drake throwing specifically harsh gazes at Edith. With a grunt, she went back to work, leaving Edith and Evelyn. Evelyn eyed her cousin.

"Don't look at me like that." Edith barked.

"What's going on, Edith?"

"What do you mean?"

"Misses Drake is telling me she's become suspicious of your relationship with her husband." 

Edith was shocked - but Evelyn knew she was acting. It was far too exaggerated to be real. "That's ridiculous!"

"You're right...it is. So I hope it's just that - a misreading of intentions."

Edith scoffed. "Bold of you to assume I'd do such a thing, Evelyn. Do you think so low of me?"

"Edith...all I'm saying is that if it is true...I don't want to know if it is or not...I'm saying it's not worth it. We all have done things we regret. I know you have. We learn. I'm not going to fault you for a mistake - especially when feelings are involved. It's a very dangerous game. Just please...let's hope it's a misunderstanding." 

Edith licked her lips and shook her head. "It's all a misunderstanding."

Evelyn nodded. "Ok. I'll see you tonight for dinner." She grabbed Edith's wrist and squeezed it gently for some reassurance.

Edith said nothing else and walked away to the front of the tractor, getting it started to continue working before sundown. Evelyn glanced behind to see Matthew leaning against one of the fences, giving the girls their space. She strolled over to him, giving his shin a gentle kick with the tip of her shoe.

He looked up and smiled. "Resolved?"

"Probably not. But...I'll deal with it later."

"Why should you deal with it at all?"

"Because even though she may be the most difficult person I live with, I find very little peace in myself if there isn't peace in my home...which might explain a lot of things."

He chuckled. "In the words of Lady Violet...never a dull moment."

"Never indeed."

Evelyn linked her arm with Matthew's as the two continued their - hopefully - relaxing stroll through the farmlands. The next near hours of their journey was just that - relaxing and peaceful. Matthew had forgotten for the moment that he would be leaving fairly soon as Evelyn too pushed that thought to the very back of her mind. 

The couple chuckled as they carefully trekked down the small hill leading them down to the pond. Evelyn had been telling Matthew about stories from her early years - specifically about when Thomas first started at Downton and how he was a hellion from the devil himself. Thomas had changed a bit, yes, but his attitude got him into worlds of trouble with Misses Patmore - and young Evelyn loved nothing more than to watch the boy get chewed out by the moody cook. 

"So I came up from the kitchen with flour covering the back of my dress!" She explained. "At this point, grandmama didn't know that I spent most of my time in the kitchen so imagine I walked into the dining room and take my seat and as soon as I sat down a white plume of flour came out from under me! Grandmama was absolutely mortified. It took her a good week or two to recover from the absolute shock; but, she got over it. Only insisted that no one else of any high esteem know I 'waller' in the kitchen, as she so eloquently put it."

Matthew grinned. "What was it about the kitchen that fascinated you so much? You were raised basically like the other girls and they don't seem to have much interest in it."

"True, all the girls were raised the same...but all the girls aren't the same." She smirked.

Matthew nodded.

"I guess I didn't feel all too comfortable just hopping into their lives...they had everything a certain way and they conducted themselves just so and then boom! Out of nowhere, they get a fourth child. I didn't feel like a burden, but I related to the staff more. They weren't raised in the house, they weren't brought up under the ways of Downton Abbey...but it became their home later in life."

He smiled. "Now I understand a bit better."

She nodded. "What do you say we head to the pond?"

"That sounds lovely."

———————————
A/N: Two things! First, I have a very sweet shoutout for a reader who took their time to create a cover for me with their inspiration for Evelyn (Keira Knightley). Thank you so much CaspianDubois for the stunning cover and for your appreciation for the story!!❤️❤️❤️

Second, forgive my absence! As some of you know I'm in college and I've been absolutely bombarded with work and graduation prep. I've found some downtime to finish this chapter and I'm happy I was able to! Thank you all for your patience! And thank you for getting us to 80k! 

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

3.6K 122 27
(Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley) When you serve in war together you form a bond beyond all else. When you serve in war with Thomas Barrow you find you...
1.6K 20 17
• The second book of the 'Viscount Downton' trilogy • Alex Crawley and his family now have a new adventure coming to them: they're heading to the Sou...
6.6K 137 11
Emma and James are happily married and expecting their life to change in 1920. Emma expects her life to be blissful with the news of a baby on the wa...
12.1K 264 13
World War One has now occured and Lady Emma Crawley must either sink or swim in this troubled, dark times. Since the Garden Party in 1914, Emma must...