Till Death Do Us Part

Od axgirl13

Skylar pledged her life to protect her homeland, but she didn't expect that she would have to resort to marry... Viac

Introduction and world map
Prologue
1. The Royal Engagement
2. Consolation Prize
3. The Wedding
4. Evergreen Manor
5. The First Clash
6. Breakfast with King and Queen
8. The Forest Encounter
9. The Great Birthday Feast
10. Consequences
11. A Little Bit of Magic
12. Confession
13. The Banquet at Evergreen
14. A Knife in the Dark
15. Recovery
16. Changes
17. I Have a Bad Feeling About This
18. It's a Trap!
19. No Escape
20. The Point of No Return
21. Into the Storm
22. On the Run
23. A Safe Harbour
24. A Looming Threat
25. The Light in the Dark
26. The Last Goodbyes
27. I Do Not Fear the Darkness
28. The Darkest Hour
29. Eye of the Storm
30. Till Death Do Us Part
Epilogue
Awards and Recognition
TDDUP Sequel is Out!
Just This Once - Valentine's Day Special

7. Uninvited Guests

7.4K 662 785
Od axgirl13

The sun wasn't up yet when Skylar got up and dressed in too big male clothes. She didn't mind, the garments were loose enough to allow energetic movements, and that was what she needed right now. In just a few minutes, she was out of her room.

Preston was leaning heavily on the wall, his head bowed, and loud snores filled the silent hall. Skylar rolled her eyes and punched him in the arm.

"Wake up!"

The man jumped, startled, and straightened immediately. "My lady! Is something the matter? The sun is not even up yet," he added, trying and failing to conceal a yawn.

"I need to go out for a stroll." She started walking towards the stairs leading to the ground floor.

The soldier trotted to catch up with her energetic pace. "But my lady! It's still dark outside! Wouldn't it be better to wait a bit for the sunrise?"

"No, because my dear husband made sure my schedule is so packed, I don't have time for any leisurely strolls. You can either stay here or try to keep up."

"I can't let you go alone, my lady," Preston said in a suffering tone. It was clear which option he would prefer. He gave her a closer look and grunted. "You look peculiar today, my lady. Aren't those General's clothes?"

"Well, yes, they are. What of it?"

"Erm, nothing, my lady. It's just... a strange choice, I must say."

"You wouldn't say that if you were forced to stroll in those heavy and unpractical dresses." Skylar shrugged.

"They are a bit too big, I think," the guard continued, ignoring her annoyance. "I would have thought Lord General provided you with the whole wardrobe, my lady?"

"Yes, but he forgot to include things that are not dresses. I thought he'll get a hint if I steal some of his garments."

"You... stole Lord General's clothes?" Preston asked, his face suddenly pale.

"To my defence, he did steal mine, so now we are even," Sky said with a saccharine smile when they reached the main door.

The guards there gave her a curious look, but none said a word nor stopped her from going outside. Once the heavy portal closed behind them, Skylar started to jog down a little pathway leading behind the manor. The sky was grey, slowly turning to more colourful hues, heralding the upcoming dawn.

"My lady!" Preston called, struggling to keep up with her. "I thought you said you wanted to stroll!"

"I am strolling." Skylar laughed, not bothering to slow down. Finally, with the wind in her face, she felt free. Free of suffocating rules, expectations, and condemning glances. She was ecstatic, her body at last allowed to work all the muscles.

She stopped when she was so far away that the Mansion disappeared. She reached a little meadow with elegantly cut grass. A little stream was babbling nearby, and a small thicket of trees leaned over it. It was a perfect place.

She started to slowly warm up her arms while waiting for Preston to catch up to her. He arrived a few minutes later, his face all red and his chest heaving. He stopped next to her and leaned heavily on his knees, trying to catch his breath.

"My... lady..." he wheezed. "I'd really like... if you wouldn't... run away... from me."

"I was not running away. If I wanted, you would never find me." Skylar shrugged. "Now, give me your sword."

The guard straightened and looked at her with panic. "My lady?"

"Your sword, please!" she commanded, extending her hand impatiently. "Or would you prefer if I take it myself?"

"N-no, my lady. But I really shouldn't..." the man stuttered hesitantly, handing her his sheathed sword.

"Relax, there's no one here. It will be our little secret. You can sit down and rest now while I do my thing."

Skylar unsheathed the sword and tried a few simple swings. It wasn't an excellent sword. It was a bit on a heavier side, nowhere near the custom-made sword she had left at home, but it would do.

Preston slumped on the grass, leaning at the tree trunk, watching her with a mixture of confusion and awe. She ignored him and went through different stances, slowly performing each strike and parry. It was like dancing with an invisible opponent. Her body was used to the routine, and she didn't have to think– her muscles knew all the steps and sequences.

When the sun rose over the horizon, painting everything in red and gold, Skylar felt very satisfying fatigue in all her muscles. She lowered the sword and wiped salty sweat that was flooding her eyes and making them sting.

She came over to Preston, who was scribbling something in a small notebook and plumped to the grass, stretching her arms.

"See, all done already. Let me catch my breath, and we can get back so that I can play a good, noble lady again," she said with a grin.

"That was the reason why you requested me to remain as your guard, wasn't it?" Preston asked grudgingly. "So, you can use my sword for training?"

"Well, I'm not going to lie. That was the main reason."

"Oh, I see," the man said grumpily.

"Come now, Preston. We are not that different from each other. We are both stuck in roles we didn't ask for. From what I've heard, you had been forced to become a soldier by your family. Isn't that right?"

"Yes, my lady."

"And I was a soldier and then was forced to leave the army and become a pretty little ornament in the General's mansion. See the similarities?"

"Yes, I do.  I have to say, my lady, you are a real expert with a sword," said Preston, his mood instantly improving.

"Thank you. That's about the only thing I'm good at," Sky said with a sigh. "What are you scribbling?"

"Oh, it's nothing," the man said, looking away from her, his cheeks red. "Just a little sketch."

"Can I see?"

"Erm, it's nothing special, really..." he mumbled but reluctantly handed her the notepad.

Sky went through the pages with awe. "It's amazing," she said, looking at tiny pictures. They were indeed rough sketches but had so many details that they looked incredibly lifelike. They mainly depicted her in different fighting stances, so if she flipped the pages quickly, it seemed as if a little figure was moving. "So, that's what you are good at?"

"It is, but as you know, my lady, it's not a very masculine skill to have," Preston said timidly, still not looking at her.

"Like fencing is not ladylike?" she asked with a smile.

He turned to her and smiled back. And for the first time, it looked sincere. "Yes, I guess it's very similar, my lady."

"See, I told you we are the same. If someone is going to follow me around, I'd rather it's someone who can understand me."

"I must say, my lady, when you put my sword to my neck, I was sure I was a goner."

"I'm sorry about that. I was pissed at the time, and you were unlucky enough to be the first person I bumped into."

"I'm glad I can stay with you, my lady. I think it's the best way for me to survive the next three months in the service."

"It will pass in a blink. Shame I can't get out of my new role so easily," said Skylar with a sigh. "All right, enough moping now. We need to get back to the mansion before my daily tutoring starts."

***

When Skylar walked through the main doors of the mansion, she stopped abruptly. In the middle of the front foyer, Zachariah was talking to two elegant women. Everyone turned to her when the heavy door closed behind her with a loud thud.

Skylar gulped, fully aware that she was wearing too big, male clothes, and her sweaty hair was plastered flat to her head. But there was nowhere to hide now, so she raised her chin and turned to the Head Servant.

"Zachariah, I didn't know we were expecting guests today."

"Because we didn't," the man replied. "The ladies wanted to... surprise you with a visit, my lady."

"Oh, my apologies!" said a woman with perfect blonde curls flowing gracefully down to her waist. "We didn't mean to intrude, Lady Skylar! We are your closest neighbours, so we thought we would greet you properly." Her voice was sweet as the most beautiful music, but Skylar noticed her blue eyes sparkling when she looked up and down. It was not a friendly gleam but rather an excitement of a predator who found easy prey.

"We should have sent you a note," the other woman added. She had flaming red hair styled in a complicated crown. "But we simply couldn't wait to meet you!"

"You certainly did surprise me," Skylar said cautiously. "Zachariah, can you please invite the ladies to our dining room for breakfast while I quickly bathe and make myself more presentable?"

"As you wish, my lady." The Head Servant bowed to her and gestured to the guests. "My ladies, if you, please, follow me."

When they disappeared into a hallway, Skylar cursed profoundly.

"I'm guessing it's not good?" Preston asked.

"My husband is going to kill me." Sky sighed, trotting toward her chambers.

***

After less than half an hour, Skylar was ready to enter the dining room. Well, at least as ready as she'd ever get. Her hair was still wet after a bath, and even her best dress didn't seem to be appropriate compared to the elegant and spotless garments of the two visitors. But she couldn't stall any longer, so she straightened her back, raised her chin, and entered the room.

The Ladies sat at the end of a long dining table, dabbing elegantly at some greenery on their plates that looked more like a garnish than food. When they spotted her, they both got up. Her teachers already instructed Skylar that as the Lord General's wife, she was of the highest social position, just below the King and Queen. The other nobles had to show her respect, whether they liked it or not.

"I apologise I made you wait," she said stiffly, walking towards them.

"That's all right, Lady Skylar. We are at fault here for surprising you like that." The blonde woman bowed her head slightly.

"I hope you didn't take an offence at our brash behaviour, Lady Skylar," the other woman added.

"Don't worry about it. I think the official introduction is in order?" Sky said. She knew she should know who her guests were, especially when they said they were the closest neighbours, but she hadn't the faintest idea. It was another of her shortcomings, but she didn't care.

"But of course," the blonde woman said without batting an eye. "I'm Lucinda Goldmanter, and this is Amaya Serpentine. As we live nearby, we thought getting acquainted as soon as possible would be good."

"Pleasure to meet you both." Skylar bowed her head slightly with a smile she was hoping looked sincere. "Shall we get back to breakfast?"

When they sat back down, Skylar proceeded to laden her plate with food, ignoring the astonished gazes of her companions, who were moving salads around their plates.

"I must say, you have quite an appetite, Lady Skylar," Lucinda said innocently, but her eyes were full of glee. Both guests were so willowy and dainty that Skylar suspected a stronger wind could probably blow them away.

"Well, I need to replenish my energy after my morning─" she bit her tongue and finished after a second, "jogging."

"Oh, so that's what you were doing when we arrived?" Amaya asked, cocking her head. "Jogging? What a novel way of passing the time for a lady."

"There's nothing novel in that." Skylar shrugged. "It's good for the body and the mind."

"But it's so... messy," Amaya said, the disgust evident on her face. "All that sweat and all."

"Nothing that a bath can't wash away," Skylar replied, trying to hide her annoyance.

"We all have our hobbies," Lucinda said with a smile that was so fake that it hurt just looking at it. "Tell me, Lady Skylar, how are you finding your new life? You are fortunate to win such an influential husband."

"It's hard to say. We haven't been married for more than a week."

"But how is the Lord General treating you? He is rather cold and distant in most situations, is he not? I hope he's not giving you a hard time..."

Skylar frowned. "No, I wouldn't say so. We can't be different from any newlywed couple."

Suddenly Amaya laughed loudly, startling Skylar. "You must forgive dear Lucinda this shameless prodding. She has a bit of an obsession with your husband."

"Amaya, don't be ridiculous!" Lucinda hissed, giving her companion a death stare. But the other woman was determined to continue.

"There's nothing to be ashamed of, my darling. Everyone knows that before the King went for the alliance with Shawcross, you were the most suitable candidate for Lord General's wife," the redhead added with a malicious smile.

Skylar looked at Lucinda in a new light. Now it made more sense; a sudden visit to meet a new wife - the woman that stole the highly lucrative position right from under Lucinda's nose.

"It was nothing more than speculation," Lucinda said stiffly. "And I don't know what you are insinuating, but I harbour no ill feelings for the General nor his wife. You better remember that and stop talking nonsense."

"Of course, you don't," Amaya said with a sweet smile. "But the truth is, the man is rather hard to approach. And he was never involved with any woman before, right? Only Lucinda ever got close enough to him to share a dance and companionship during the balls."

"Did she now?" Skylar asked, looking at the woman with a cocked head.

Lucinda raised her chin. "Yes. You know how it is with the balls. On most of them, you are expected to attend with a partner. On such occasions, the General was usually inviting me. But I can't say he was easy to entertain. He never did anything more than a bare necessity that good manners dictate. That's why I'm not jealous," she added, looking pointedly at Amaya. "On the contrary, I feel for Lady Skylar, as living with that man can't be an easy task."

"I hear you," the redhead said. "I even heard some rumours that maybe he doesn't like women at all. You know what I mean." She wiggled her brows.

Skylar was so taken aback by the rude comment that she was just sitting there and gaping at her guests. The women were smiling innocently at her. She couldn't believe those two had just barged in there uninvited and now were shamelessly fishing for crude gossip. She might not like her husband much and still be annoyed with his condescending attitude towards her, but she will surely not stab him in the back by spreading outrageous rumours.

"That is ridiculous," she scoffed.

"Oh?" Amaya raised her perfectly shaped brow. "No problems in the bedroom then?"

"No, none," Sky said, looking the woman straight in the eye. "I'd say he's rather passionate."

"That's very interesting. Who would have thought the cold Lord General had a hidden, spirited side?" Amaya mused, giving Lucinda a meaningful smirk.

The other woman just shrugged, clearly disappointed, but she put a sweet smile on her lips again. "I see. In that case, maybe you've been already blessed with a new life growing inside you. That would explain your appetite, Lady Skylar."

Sky forced herself to swallow her retort and smiled at Lucinda. "I don't think so. I would love to talk some more, but unfortunately, I have prior engagements that need my attention right now." She stood up. The women followed suit.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Lady Skylar," Lucinda said with a slight bow of her head.

"I believe we'll meet you at the feast at the palace next week?" Amaya said.

"Yes, we can talk more then. Zachariah, can you please show our guests the way out?" Skylar said with a sweet smile.

***

Skylar was sitting on a comfortable armchair in her room reading the book recommended by her tutors when the loud knock at the door startled her.

"Come in," she said, closing her book and straightening her back while Gawyn entered the room. She was expecting him and was prepared for what was coming.

"What have you been thinking?" the General asked, not bothering with any greeting. He was still wearing his uniform, with the black and red jacket still on, though he undid two top buttons of his shirt.

"Hello to you too, husband dear."

"Don't waste my time on pointless pleasantries." He scoffed, crossing his arms and looking down at her. "Do you know what I've heard today from one of my lieutenants?"

"No, but I'm sure you're going to tell me."

"That first thing in the morning, my wife is running around in my clothes and greeting the guests all sweaty and filthy."

"Well, that was quite accurate, though the filthy part is a huge exaggeration." Skylar shrugged.

Gawyn made an inarticulate growl and ran a hand through his dark hair. "Why would you do that? Did I not warn you not to? And stealing my clothes? Really?"

Skylar jumped to her feet. She will not be intimidated by him. Even though he was taller and still towering over her, she raised her head and looked him straight in the eye. "Maybe if you hadn't ordered my things to be thrown away, I wouldn't have to! And I disagree that it's my fault that those two impertinent women just barged in here uninvited first thing in the morning. I may not be fluent in royal court etiquette, but even I know that's simply rude. You could have warned me, especially because one of them was your former sweetheart."

"My what now?" Gawyn asked, his eyes widened.

"Lucinda Goldmanter? She was the one everyone thought you would marry eventually, which she hasn't failed to point out. Several times."

"Oh, her," the General said, his brows knitting in annoyance. "That was never going to happen. I just needed someone to accompany me on social occasions. I picked Lucinda because she's from a minor noble family, so I thought no one would make such ridiculous assumptions."

Skylar scoffed. "Gods, you are hopeless when it comes to understanding women."

Gawyn frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you can't just go out with one girl all the time and not raise her hopes! And now, she is infuriated because you discarded her and married me, a girl with even lower social status."

"I..." He frowned and sighed. "I didn't think about it, I guess."

"Apparently. So, it's your fault she came here snooping. I don't know why you are angry at me."

"Don't change the topic, please. It hasn't even been a week, and the rumours about you already circulate everywhere!"

"Well, then there is no point in hiding it anymore, is it?" Skylar asked with a hardly contained grin. "If everyone already knows about my weird morning routines, I can just continue."

"You are impossible!" Gawyn groaned. He opened his mouth to continue, but his face contorted with pain, and he swayed on his feet, pressing a hand to his temple.

"Are you all right?" Skylar asked. She was surprised because he suddenly looked vulnerable.

"Yes, I'm just tired and have a headache." He waved his hand dismissively. "I'd better go and retire for today."

"Of course," Skylar said, not buying his excuse. He looked like he was in some intense pain right now, but he didn't want to share it with her.

Gawyn was already at the door when he turned back to her. "There is a back door to the mansion, you know. Use that one, so you can avoid barging through the main foyer next time. And don't run too deep into the forest in the south. You can easily get lost there," he added, not looking at her and closing the door.

"Huh." That sounded surprisingly close to permission to continue with her morning training. She felt her mouth form a smile despite her attempts to keep it cool. 

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

59.5K 1.7K 34
"𝐿𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑖𝑠 𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑦 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒, 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑚𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑑𝑎𝑟𝑘𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠" - 𝑅. 𝑄𝑢𝑒𝑒𝑛 ______________________________ "I can help with that...
54.2K 3K 89
| WATTPAD INDIA AWARDS 2021 SHORTLIST | Like a moth to the flame, Amy finds herself drowning in Jake's chaos, and it doesn't even make sense how she'...
23.5K 2.4K 29
For eight years, the kingdom of Lamyria was peaceful. But there is no such thing as "they lived happily ever after". Even though the great ravine c...
Chattan Bride Od Maria York

Historická beletria

4.7K 271 29
READERS' FAVORITE FIVE STAR AWARD WINNER - As the daughter of a strong English baron, Isabel is compelled by peace negotiations to become the child-b...