Fight For You

Por secretstothewind

When Emily applies for a position as a caregiver for Daniel, a boy with a permanent spinal cord injury, she n... Más

Chapter One - Cookies and Phone Calls
Chapter Two - Cinnamon Rolls and Interviews
Chapter Three - Jobs and Fights
Chapter Four - Feeding and Tattoos
Chapter Five - Couples and Yoga
Chapter Six - Friends and Lies
Chapter Seven - Rides and Concessions
Chapter Eight - Ticking Time Bomb and Awkward Flirting
Chapter Nine - Gloating and Busty Burgers
Chapter Ten - Date Rape and Pill Popping
Chapter Eleven - Hope and Smoking
Chapter Thirteen - Quiet Drives and Nosy Neighbours
Chapter Fourteen - Sprained Ankles and Gratitude
Chapter Fifteen - Limousines and Paparazzi
Chapter Sixteen - Professional Fights and Glaring Lights
Chapter Seventeen - Winning Traditions and Attractive People
Chapter Eighteen - Stupors and Feelings
Chapter Nineteen - Newspaper Clippings and Planning
Chapter Twenty - Teaching and Fighting
Chapter Twenty One - Casual Sex and Late Night Visits
Chapter Twenty Two - Second Chances and Lessons
Chapter Twenty Three - Surprises and Stories
Chapter Twenty Four - Outfits and Stale Hotdogs
Chapter Twenty Five - Home Movies and Nice Backsides
Chapter Twenty Six - Pickup Lines and Almost Kisses
Chapter Twenty Seven - Second Fights and Mystery Women
Chapter Twenty Eight - Stealthy Avoidance and Chocolate
Chapter Twenty Nine - Kisses and Revelations
Chapter Thirty - Days Off and Dates
Chapter Thirty One - Seahorses and Date Nights
Chapter Thirty Two - Twinkle Lights and Beach Walks
Chapter Thirty Three - Christmas Gifts and Family Reunions
Chapter Thirty Four - Drinking Wine and Watching Fights
Chapter Thirty Five - Safe Places and Guardian Angels
Chapter Thirty Six - Early Morning Drives and Nice Asses
Chapter Thirty Seven - Assaults and Make Outs
Chapter Thirty Eight - Ground Rules and New Years Plans
Chapter Thirty Nine - New Years Dinners and Past Sinners
Chapter Forty - Moods and Confusion
Chapter Forty One - Searching and Finding
Chapter Forty Two - Different Atmosphere and Making Amends
Chapter Forty Three - Youth Meetings and Wrestling
Chapter Forty Four - Truth and Emotions
Chapter Forty Five - Futures and Preparations
Chapter Forty Six - Breakfast and Interviews
Chapter Forty Seven - Acceptance and Love
Chapter Forty Eight - Fame and Speeches
Chapter Forty Nine - Cookie Dates and Car Rides
Chapter Fifty - Familiar Faces and Talks
Chapter Fifty One - Bars and Cages
Chapter Fifty Two - Signing Troubles and Hospital Stays
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2

Chapter Twelve - Confrontations and STDs

114K 4.2K 761
Por secretstothewind

I arrived back to my apartment in a huff of annoyance. I shoved the door open and strode in, going to check my mail as I realized that Ms. Smith wasn't loitering around the area for once.

I unlocked my mailbox to see a package from my dad. It had the words 'REPLACE IN 2022' in all capitals in red sharpie. I smiled, it must be the pepper spray.

"What needs replacing?" Ms. Smith's voice sounded from behind me.

"Holy shit!" I shouted, putting my hands to my heart in the hopes it would help slow it down.

"Language," she reprimanded me.

"You want to snoop on my mail and then tell me to watch my language?" I asked drily. "Have you ever considered cats, Ms. Smith?"

She narrowed her eyes at me, "Cats are noble and righteous animals. You'd be lucky to ever get near a cat."

"You need a hobby." I stated before making my way up the stairs.

I opened my apartment and deposited my tired body on the couch, lying on it with my legs raised on the arm. I pulled out my phone.

Emily: Thank you for the pepper spray!

Dad: Take it with you everywhere. Love you Emily.

Emily: I love you too

Dad: Check out this story of a UFO sighting-

I threw my phone on the coffee table with a thud, but thoughts of Daniel's disappointed face plagued my mind.

I jumped up again and searched for a book I had on spinal cord injury. My fingers found the used spine and I tugged it out flipping to the page I was most concerned about - exercise.

Scientific studies predict that most recovery will come within six months of injury, and is complete within two years. It is scientifically proven that these medical expectations could be beaten, and did, having significant improvement two to seven years after the accident. This was tied to the exercise routine began the year one becomes paralyzed. Though each loved one that is paralyzed will not have the same outcomes, professionals all agree that exercise is a good thing for all those suffering with any form of paralysis.

I grabbed the page I was looking at and photocopied it, stuffing it into an envelope with a couple other research articles on how to exercise and defend yourself in a wheelchair. Daniel didn't have to feel weak just because he was in a chair.

I grabbed my phone and keys and left my apartment without thinking, my limbs moving on their own. I skipped the steps to the lobby two at a time, running past Ms. Smith.

"Where are you going?!" She asked desperately as I ran past her.

"See ya, Ms. Smith!"

"Well, I never," she huffed.

I stopped by the bus and realized I needed to wait another twelve minutes, which kind of killed my buzz.

Screw this. I pulled out my phone and called a cab, hopping in and giving him the address for Lucas' gym.

We pulled up and I marched with determination to the door, tugging at it powerfully. It didn't budge.

I shook it again. Was it a pull door? I pulled at it without it moving. I looked above the handle and noticed the 'closed' sign. Well, this was disappointing.

Just as I noticed Lucas' black car in the parking lot, the door opened and Lucas' confused face peered at me. He wore black shorts and a wife beater that seemed to enunciate his already huge frame, but I tried to ignore it, looking at his face with confidence.

I had to take a second glance when I noticed all the cuts that peppered his face. He had a pretty wide slash on his arm that looked like he had abandoned in the middle of treating. What had happened to him?

"What are you doing here?" He asked furrowing his brows and holding the door open with one of his large arms. Tattoos trailed down his arms and I tried to decipher what he had scribbled across his hulking body. What was I here for again?

I pushed past his large figure and into the gym. He looked at me in surprise as I shoved the packet I had printed out onto his chest. His large hand held onto it and I crossed my arms in defiance. "Here."

"What is this?" He inquired, not making a move to open it up.

"It's article after article explaining why exercise is important. It's fine if you don't believe he's going to recover, but Daniel doesn't need to hear that and he certainly doesn't need you training other boys his age in something he's desperate to do with you!" I huffed putting my hands on my waist.

He raised his eyebrow, but made no move to respond so I continued in an outrage, "You think he likes being treated like an invalid? You think he enjoys being cooped up in that condo with no one to see and nothing to do?" I flailed my arms about me wildly to establish my point further, "he doesn't, Lucas. The more you treat him like he's incapable of doing anything, the less he wants to try."

His face was blank as I finished my rant and we stared at each other. My chest was heaving from the emotional energy of confronting him, but I could feel a warm, magnetizing pull in the air. My eyes flickered to his plush lips seeing them part as I did so.

I cleared my throat, "Well, that's all I wanted to say to you. You should get that cut treated or it'll get infected," I gestured to his arm angrily. "I hope I still have my job," I added as an afterthought. I brushed past him and outside the door. I pulled out my phone and called for a cab, waiting on a bench at the side of the building.

"Hey!" I looked to my side to see sweaty Frank from earlier.

I groaned, "Frank, my day could not get any worse right now."

He grinned at me, his gold tooth shining in the moonlight, "Want to talk about it?" He asked approaching me and rubbing a hand along my arm. "I make a great listener." His alcohol flavoured breath wafted over to me making me gag a little.

"Great to know." I responded, going on my phone to send him a message that him and his sweat weren't welcome.

"I don't think you'll be able to ignore me after tonight, doll." His hand travelled up my arm to my elbow.

"That's great, actually," I began.

His eyebrows shot up, "it is?"

"Oh yeah. Because my ex left me with an STD and now you'll be able to help me figure out which one it was," I smiled up at him as he swallowed harshly.

His eyes narrowed at me, "You're a bit of a smart as." He commented harshly.

"Why thank you, Frank." I began to get up but he held onto my arm tightly, his fingers clasped again my wrist. "Let go," I warned but my heart was beating wildly.

A fist came flying through the air and into Frank's nose as he bent over, cradling the bleeding thing pathetically.

"I told you to leave her alone, Frank." Lucas's normally stoic face was livid, his icy blue eyes menacing as he looked over Frank who seemed to be in a fetal position on the floor. If I thought I irritated Lucas before, I almost felt bad for Frank.

He quickly scampered to his feet and scurried off.

"Are you okay?" Lucas asked as he reached over to seemingly touch my shoulder before pulling it back.

"I swear I don't have an STD," I blurted out, my cheeks ablaze with embarrassment.

Lucas surprised me by letting out a laugh and I just stared at how mesmerizing his face was. His features softened and he looked stress free for once.

"Come on, I'll drive you home." He stated, reaching out with his hand and placing it lightly on my waist. I pulled away slightly as I felt the familiar tingles surrounding his warm fingers. We walked to his car and all I could do was hope the butterflies in my stomach would settle down.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

148K 6.3K 48
Sapphire loves boxing, food and cats. Being a triplet with two brothers, she learned quickly how to stand up for herself and deal with boys. Hunter i...
29.9K 1.2K 50
No. 1 in #Cagefighter 06/20/19 "You don't understand. I know a lot of bad people, Dani. People that will try to hurt me by hurting the people I care...
2.9M 106K 43
They say the best things in life are unexpected but so are the worst things. Especially the worst things. Lucas Cage has been blissfully ignorant to...
29K 999 40
After being born in to an unfair world Olivia tries her best to get by with what she has. But after she learns of an unnerving secret her world begin...