"Yes. We're done. Y/n, you may go back to your work now." He excused her with the same lift of his lips he'd always given her, only this time, the corners of his mouth were a little higher, a little closer to his eyes. This was progress.

A thin sheet of snow, white as angel's wings, cloaked Small Heath

A thin sheet of snow, white as angel's wings, cloaked Small Heath. The waters were slick with ice. The cold wrapped its arms round Birmingham, Mother Nature hoping to warm her children and herself regardless of her cold skin. It nipped at the tips of noses like she was booping her finger against them in attempt to draw a smile from her shivering children.

Tommy cursed to himself. It felt so much colder than it did at the start of the day- one person on his mind upon the realization. Y/n had left a little prior to Thomas, just like she did every other day. Her reddened nose, her trembling lips as her teeth subtly and silently chattered, her fragile form even more so with her arms wrapped around her and Tommy's coat in attempt to gain warmth. The images never seemed to leave his brain, especially not when she returned his coat.

He began to walk home, still focused on Y/n. Pondering up a variety of situations, good and bad, he tried to reassure himself. Constant anxiety was not new for Tommy. He worried for his family, for his friends- for Y/n... Too much was on his mind but he couldn't seem to shake any of it off.

Although he was looking straight ahead- looking where he was going, he wasn't entirely paying attention. A grunt slipped from his throat as he walked into someone, knocking them over and causing him to stumble. Normally, he'd just tell them to watch it, but as he regained focus on what's in front of him rather than what's been bothering him, he paused.

She too was surprised, having literally been knocked off her feet by none other than Thomas fucking Shelby. Her head jerked upwards to see who had walked into her, a similar intensity as Tommy's. But she softened as well, untensing when his face, those baby blue gems, came into her view. He looked so puzzled, so...guilty.

"Fuck!" He was quick to drop the ground and help her up, checking her for any form of injury. "Are you alright, Y/n?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Are you alright? You look frightened-"

"I wasn't paying any attention to my surroundings, I must've walked right into you. You know I didn't mean for that to happen, love? It was purely on accident. Is there any way I can make it up to you? Anything at all?"

"Tommy. It's alright." The way she said his name was comforting. Her voice was soothing as usual. Her hand came to his upper arm, a relaxed and friendly grip. She gave him a squeeze, letting him know she meant it, that she was serious. "But, before I answer your second question, please, answer mine."

Thomas was ready to ignore her, lips already parting to ask her again, but the sincerity of her concerned demeanor crumbled the facade he'd put up. He released a heavy sigh, closing his eyes and shaking his head. "I'm just- ...worried." It took a lot for him to admit some things, but the feeling of relief that surged through him after he told her...it felt like she took the burden from his shoulders.