Rolling my eyes, I huffed at him in feigned annoyance. "If you like it so much, here." He took it back with a deft grab of his fingers. "I guess I can always get another one if I ever get home."

"There ya go, Boss. That's the spirit." The happy grin on his face called up an answering one on mine, however reluctant.

"Don't. Ever. Steal from me again. Got it?"

"Got it, Boss."

-0-

While there were notably fewer humanoid threats this far north in the Commonwealth, the animal life could be just as dangerous. I found this out when a group of irradiated mole rats burst out of the ground almost at our feet. They were the size of large dogs, hairless and skittering, with a restless energy that made targeting difficult. One clamped down on my leg, my combat armor blocking its teeth until I could fire point-blank into its skull. Compared to a deathclaw, the rodents were almost pathetically easy to kill, but they moved lightning fast and were not only numerous, but extremely aggressive. I found myself back-to-back with MacCready as we mowed down the creatures. As soon as the last was down, we dropped our weapons, taking stock.

"Nice shooting, Boss. I think you may be getting the hang of this." MacCready commented approvingly, reloading his sniper rifle before checking the creatures for loot. "Bah, nothing on 'em. Useless."

"What about," and I swallowed my disgust at the thought, "meat?" Hey, if roaches were edible, anything mammalian had to be a step up.

"Technically," he stressed, "mole rats are edible, meaning the meat won't kill you. But it is disgusting." He scrunched his face at the memory. "The fungus we scraped off the walls in Little Lamplight tasted better."

"Okay, then, I'll take your word for it." As soon as we had tossed the carcasses off the road, we continued on our way.

My Pip-Boy buzzed a quiet alert as we neared where we thought Cambridge should be based on the icons appearing in my MAP screen. The RADIO tab was pulsing, and I switched over to see what it meant. An additional line had appeared in the list of broadcast stations, titled simply "Military Frequency AF95." Intrigued, I switched the radio on, turning up the volume, hearing the voice of a young woman.

"This is Scribe Haylen of Reconnaissance Squad Gladius to any unit in transmission range. We're requesting support or evac from our position at Cambridge Police Station. Our unit has sustained casualties and we're running low on supplies. Message repeats..."

I started moving almost before the message was complete. "C'mon, MacCready, let's go!"

We moved along the streets of Cambridge, letting the sound of gunfire and howls of battle guide us. The police station had been fortified, but a streaming mob of feral Ghouls were overwhelming the small force within the outer walls.

"Bring it on!" MacCready screamed angrily, keeping back to strafe the line of mindless attackers. He stayed in the scant shadow of an old trash dumpster, firing unerring head shots as fast as he could keep his rifle loaded. I crouched forward, using the barricades already hastily placed to keep me hidden and protected as I got within range to use my shotgun.

As soon as we had begun our assault decimating the ferals, a voice shouted inside the compound and a renewed stream of laser bolts joined our flanking shots. Between the main force inside and our flanking fire, we were able to finish off the last of the attacking wave while the sun was still high in the sky. MacCready quickly darted across the slain bodies to check for any loot while I rounded the corner carefully, approaching the police station.

"Civilian in the perimeter! Check your fire!" called a powerful deep voice when we entered the gate of the barricade. As soon as I caught sight of the speaker, I understood exactly why the raiders practically pissed themselves when I landed on the street among them in Concord.

Standing nearly eight feet tall in an impressive set of gigantic power armor, a handsome tanned dark-haired man approached us, whirring and clanking in metallic grandeur. Over his shoulder rested the automatic laser rifle that had helped decimate the attacking feral Ghouls. It was a truly remarkable, and deadly, sight. MacCready, however, was less than impressed, growling, "Oh, great, the Brotherhood of Steel, as if the day couldn't get any better" under his breath behind me.

Coming to a halt a few feet from us, the armored man addressed us in a military manner, "We appreciate the assistance, civilian. But what's your business here?" His manner was suspicious, and I decided to play it straight with him.

"We picked up your distress signal and came to see if we could help you out." I answered him, snapping to the position of attention, one military member to another, even worlds apart. A flicker of recognition crossed his face and he nearly snapped to attention himself before aborting the movement.

"Outstanding. Who are you? Are you from a local settlement perhaps?" His warm amber eyes swept us up and down and the generous lips framed by a neat beard smiled faintly.

"No." I relaxed my stance when it appeared he wasn't going to become hostile. "I'm Anne, and this is MacCready. He's local, but I'm not... exactly from here. It's a long story, and part of the reason we happened to be nearby. And who are you?"

"Not the most forthcoming answer, but one I'm coming to expect." This time, he did snap to attention to answer my question. "Paladin Danse, Brotherhood of Steel. Over there is Scribe Haylen and Knight Rhys." The two other Brotherhood members were huddled in the entrance of the police station, Haylen treating a nasty wound in Rhys' abdomen. "If I appear suspicious, it's because our mission here has been difficult. Since the moment we arrived in the Commonwealth, we've been constantly under fire."

"Not surprising, considering your current reputation in the Capital Wasteland." MacCready chimed in irritably.

Danse ignored the volley, addressing me, "If you want to continue pitching in, we could use an extra gun on our side. We're on recon duty, but I'm down a man and our supplies are running low. I've been trying to send a distress call to our vessel at Boston International Airport, but the signal's too weak to reach them. Scribe Haylen modified the radio tower on the roof of the police station, but I'm afraid it just isn't enough. What we need is something that will boost the signal."

I pondered his words, aware of my companion's disapproving mien and the angry set of his shoulders. "I assume this isn't something available in the police station?" It never is, I sighed to myself.

Danse shook his head. "Our target is ArcJet Systems, and it contains the technology we need... the Deep Range Transmitter. We infiltrate the facility, secure the transmitter and bring it back here. So, what do you say? You willing to lend the Brotherhood of Steel a hand?"

"Hold on a moment, Danse." I interjected. "The Brotherhood of Steel... you deal with advanced technology, yes?"

"I'm not sure why you're asking this now, but yes." His deep voice rang with pride and complete dedication. It was actually rather impressive. "Our order seeks to understand the nature of technology. Its power. Its meaning to us as humans. And we fight to secure that power from those who would abuse it."

"And anyone and everyone else not in the Brotherhood," MacCready scoffed in my ear, too quietly for Danse to have heard. I could tell he was really unhappy with the situation here, but if the Brotherhood dealt with technology, maybe they could help me get home. As much as I hate to do this to him, he's just going to have to suck it up for now.

"All right, then." I chose my words carefully. "Maybe we can help each other. I need help with, ah, a technology problem. You need an extra gun. You agree to help me, and you get not only my skills," modest as they are, I thought, "but the services of the best gun in the Commonwealth."

"For the right price." insisted MacCready. I shot him a look and he merely met my gaze with cool crystal eyes.

"So you're a mercenary. Typical. Fine. You help us, and I'll see you're fully compensated for your services." Danse turned to address his subordinates. "Haylen, take Rhys inside and bind his wounds. Rhys, once you're on your feet, I want you to make certain that the perimeter is secure."

While Danse was distracted with giving orders, I quickly whispered to MacCready, "I can tell you don't like him for some reason, but if these guys know about tech, maybe they can help get me home. Keep it in check, please, will you?" He scowled, but nodded with a quick, "we'll talk about this later, Boss."

Paladin Danse had returned, weapon at the ready. "No time to waste. Let's get moving."