Feels Like Home

"Something in your eyes makes me want to lose myself in your arms. If you knew how lonely my life been, and how long I've been so alone. And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along and change my life the way you've done. It feels like home to me, it feels like I'm all the way back where I belong."
-Chantal Kreviazuk

жжж

It was a brisk fall Saturday morning when Jack finally couldn't deny his mother her wish any longer. Even since Connor had been returned to reality, Rosie Shepherd had been persistently nagging Jack to meet the new and improved team of young superheroes. Whenever Jack had gone into town to pay her a visit, she'd asked him countless questions about the people who now consumed his entire life, and he'd told her as much about them as he wanted to.

Rosie was just as surprised as Jack had initially been about the diversity of the ages within the team. She couldn't believe that the youngest member was merely six years old, and she wanted nothing more than to meet the children. For months, she'd attempted to get the team over at her house for a visit, but the busy schedules never allowed for it.

Today, that was about to change. She was hosting a gathering of sorts at her house that would consist of friends and family, and – as they had nothing else to do that day – the team would finally pay her a long overdue visit.

Jack took in the sight of the busy lounge as he stood at the back of the room, his regular coffee cup in hand. Summer and Cindy were sprawled out on the carpet, surrounded by girly magazines that Jack had no idea how or where they found. They were giggling as they flipped through the pictures, pointing out their favourite celebrities and reading the gossip columns. On the couch, Dylan and Tucker were loudly playing a video game.

Jack was glad that through it all, they could all still enjoy their Saturdays like normal children should. Even so, Jack had absolutely no interest in joining in on either of these activities, so he cast his attention to the small table at the side of the room where Marsha sat, reading through some papers. Deciding that this was the safest place to try his luck, Jack pulled up a chair across from her.

"You do know that it's Saturday, right?" He teased sarcastically, noting how she seemed to be constantly working.

"Of course, I know it's Saturday, Jack." She said distractedly, not even bothering to look up from her work. "I'm not you."

Jack cleared his throat and raised his eyebrows, though she still didn't look up at him to see. "So, would it kill you to put away the work and relax for once in your life?"

"I can't, this needs to be done for Tuesday."

Scoffing, Jack continued to remark sarcastically. "So, do it on Monday night." He said with a nonchalant shrug.

"Once again, I'm not you."

"Well, can't you at least work on it later?" He whined, clearly in need of some attention.

Marsha sighed and finally looked up at him as she sat up straighter in her seat. As Jack gave her a challenging look from across the table, their argument continued with only their eyes as she defied his gaze with narrowed eyes. They were both incredibly stubborn people, but Marsha didn't really have the energy to put up much of a fight, she knew that someone would have to cave.

"I guess." She said hesitantly, "But, if I don't get it done by Tuesday, it's your fault.

"You know," Jack said, his voice continuously thick with sarcasm, "I think I can live with that."