II. The Grimoire Arrives

It was a normal Saturday morning, Jake didn't have to work so he spent it on his computer. Sam was out with Jen, probably buying clothes.
He on the other side, was watching a video, even though he was working on one himself. It was a story time type of video by an animation youtuber who just blew up.
She was talking about how she met her crush again a few days back. He didn't even get to watch ten more seconds until the bell rang.
"Can't even have a peaceful Saturday morning."
He changed from a pair of sweatpants into some cargo pants before heading down.

The person at the door kept ringing. With no signs of stopping.
"I'm coming! I'm coming! Now shut up already."
He opened the door and all he did was shiver when he saw who was at the door. Black trench coat and a top hat. A man from the order. He was holding a brown packet in his hands.
"Delivery for Jake Russell."
"That's me."
"Then this, by law, belongs to you.", the man handed Jake their packet he was holding. Jake on the other hand was shaking as he took the package. It had his father's insignia.
"Your father was a great man. He wanted you to have this when he was gone."
"Well it took two years to get to me."
"Because the council wasn't sure if you had what it takes."
Jake scoffed at the answer, but he still invited the man inside by stepping to the side. The man tipped his hat and stepped inside. Jake signalled him to go to the kitchen while he closed the door.

The man sat at the dining table, looking around. Books about myths scattered on the floor and shelves filled with them.
"Your sister sure likes reading."
"Who said anything about her doing all the reading?"
"Well she isn't naturally smart like you."
Jake let out a dry laugh and dropped the packet on the table.
"I want to know what the hell is this."
"Your father's grimoire. He wanted you to have it."
"It has no purpose in my hands. I'm only proficient in fire and black magic.", Jake threw his hands in the air and walked away from the table.
"That's exactly why your father started that grimoire. It only has a purpose in your hands."
"I don't see how-"
Jake opened the package. What he held in his hands was a book. Brownish red leather covers with silver edges.
"Book of Flames?"
"Nathan wrote it with you in mind."
"That old man, what a fool."

Even so there was a smile on Jake's face. He listed through the book, stopping every now and then.
"These are all wrong."
"What do you mean?"
"The runes and symbols... they're wrong in certain places.", he took a closer look at the wrong symbols.
"No, it's a code."
"What does it say?"
"I can't say for sure, but it seems to be a private matter."
Jake slammed the book closed and looked at the man.
"One thing is certain, I'll be busy writing it down and correcting the mistakes."
"Well then, I won't bother you any longer young man. No need to worry, I'll see myself out.", the man walked out and before he left the living area, he turned around. Jake had his focus on the grimoire, casting a spell that summoned fiery chains and were controlled with his hands.
"He's definitely your son Nathan."

When the man left the building he entered an old car. That was the style of the order. Sitting in the driver's seat was a woman, wearing the same black trench coat.
"And?"
"The boy is Nathan's son for sure."
"What makes you say that?"
"The sparkle in his eyes when he concentrates on something. And he looks a lot like him."
The woman started the car and they drove away.

Jake was back in his room. Back to listening the video from before while he studied the grimoire. He had a stack of a few old papers next to him and a notebook.
He was deciphering the code quickly. In the end, Jake had two years to get familiar with the code. That was all thanks to the notes his father left him. Ten minutes went by, then twenty more until over an hour passed. Jake had about three pages written down, all addressing Jen. But knowing his father, Jake knew that he split the letters to them according to the chapters of the grimoire.
"Dad... why didn't you tell her that?"
He had tears in his eyes.