Chapter 17: Dark and Stormy Night (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

Start from the beginning

Turning around, Achillean glanced at the cardinal still sitting on the branch. Was it possible the bird had spoken? But the cardinal only continued to sing its song.

"Achillean!"

Achillean turned to his left. It was the same soft voice that whispered, louder this time.

"Hello?" Achillean called out. He looked around him, trying to find anyone who could be nearby. But he saw no one for miles through the trees.

"Achillean... Ccoommee... with me, with me..."

Achillean felt nervous as he heard the soft echoing whisper again, who could possibly be talking... without him being able to see them?

Hearing a soft flap by his ear, he turns and shuffles away from the unexpected noise. Catching his eye, fluttering through the air, Achillean spotted a small orange butterfly, as it flitted from flower to flower. It lands on a small dandelion, drinking in the sweet nectar. Its wings fluttered slightly, the color of its silky wings catching the sunlight, almost making the insect's wings look like they were glowing.

"Achillean... ean..." the soft whisper sent a chill down his spine as it drew him in. It wanted something from him... but what?

"I'm right here. What do you want from me?" Achillean asked while looking at the small butterfly.

"Coommmee witthh mee, wwiithh mee ... to them..."

Achillean was confused, what on earth was going on? Suddenly, a thought clicked in his mind.

Could the butterfly possibly be referring to-

His thoughts are interrupted as the butterfly flaps its wings and begins to fly away into the trees.

"Wiitth mmeee..."

Achillean starts running through the woods, pursuing the butterfly who had a strange whispering voice. First, it was asking for his attention, and now it would just leave him questioning?! Achillean didn't know where he was, the forest that surrounded him did not look familiar to his eyes. He runs through the bushes, flinching as the thorns and branches concealed by leaves scratch his arms.

But Achillean kept his eyes glued on the butterfly above as it continued to fly. Could it possibly be taking him somewhere?

Achillean ducked under numerous branches, maneuvered his way over a fallen tree trunk, and continued to push his way through bushes and vines. But the butterfly did not slow its pace.

"Hey, wait!" he called after it. It had his attention now! It couldn't just leave! Achillean felt the ground fall out from underneath him while he ran, his eyes widened as he lost his footing and rolled down a small slope. Landing painfully on his back once he'd reached the bottom.

Groaning as he laid on the ground catching his breath, Achillean could hear the familiar hiss of the ocean waves.

What is going on? he thought.

Grunting while slowly getting back up on his feet, he looks around for the orange butterfly. But it was nowhere... He had lost it...

But what had it meant? Achillean thought as he questioned himself. Pondering the possible meaning of the insect's whispering words.

He walked through the vegetation, the hissing waves getting louder. Suddenly, Achillean heard deep rumbling thunder penetrate his ears. As he walked out of the forest, he could see a sandy beach in front of him, as it was pummeled by raindrops from the dark grey sky.

Wasn't it sunny just a moment ago? Achillean thought. Now he was really sure he was seeing things. The ocean waves crashed against the shores, almost reaching where he stood.