prologue

|michaels pov|

"Mikey, Mikey, Mikey." Luke chanted, letting himself into my house at seven in the morning on the first day of the summer holidays. He ran into my bedroom, frowning when he saw I was still tangled up in my bed sheets. "Aren't you ready?" 

"For what?" I groaned, pulling the covers up over my head when Luke went to open the curtains and further ruin my day.

"Michael." He whined, probably making his stupid puppy dog eyes. "Don't tell me you've forgotten about our summer holiday adventure extravaganza!" 

"It's the winter, in England it is SNOWING, and by the way, I never agreed to that anyway." I groaned, trying to turn away from Luke, but probably failing as with the blanket over my face I wasn't all that sure where he actuallly was.

"For the last time, we are not in England Michael, we are in Australia, here it is the summer, and it is nice and hot outside." He explained slowly and carefully. "And, anyway I called your Mum last night and she said that she was making you come with me. "

I huffed, shoving the sheets off my body and glaring at Luke. "For fucks sake Luke, leave my Mum alone!" 

"We're just friends!" He tried to reason, looking a little scared as I stomped round my bedroom gathering the clothes I was going to wear from the floor and heading into my en suite bathroom.

"Is that a yes, to the holiday?" He shouted as I slammed the door admittedly a little dramatically. 

"Fine." I grumbled, running my hands through my hair in frustration. Luke really knew how to get on my nerves, he was such a kind, caring, happy, exciteable person, sometimes I wondered why he even hung out with me, but as he was pretty much my only friend I wasn't complaining too much. His relationship with my Mum did freak me out a little, or rather a lot. One evening I came downstairs from hiding in my room to find Luke and her playing video games, apparently he'd been at my house for the entire day. 

It was also the little things, Luke would stay stuff like 'I texted your Mum, she said it was fine for me to come over.' or 'When Karen and I were chatting last night she mentioned this amazing coffee shop.' It just made me very uncomfortable. His only friend COULD NOT date his mother.

I ruffled my hair in the mirror and washed the sleep from my face before stepping out of the bathroom to find Luke packing a suitcase for me. 

"Thank you." I mumbled, as he sat on top of it to hold the lid down so that I could zip it up.

"Hey, cheer up, this summer is going to be the best summer of our lives." He smiled, only later would we discover how right he was.

"Where are we going anyway?" I asked as we shoved our bags in the back of Luke's not at all punk rock minivan.

"Kingscliff. I sent you all the details at least a month ago Mikey." He said.

"Luke, you know I never read your texts." and then seeing Luke's slightly sad expression. "And, Kingscliff will be the perfect place for six weeks of best friend bonding." Which seemed to fully restore the boy's good mood.

We climbed into the front seats of the light pink minivan, Luke plugged in his ipod, selected a playlist aptly named 'summer summer summer' before smiling at me and beginning to chant 'we're going on a road trip.' with a massive grin on his face.