Year 3 - The Executioner

Start bij het begin

She burst through the door to Hagrid's hut, but he wasn't inside. Instead, fang was sitting on the floor, staring at her. "Fang? Where's Hagrid?" Fang drifted his eyes out the window to the Black Lake. "The Black Lake? Why is he at the Black Lake?" Hermione stopped for a second. "Thanks, Fang!" She ran out of the hut to the lake where she saw Hagrid, knee deep, for him, skipping rocks. "How'd it go, Hagrid?" Hermione said, out of breath. 

"Buckbeak liked London," Hagrid skipped a rock.

"I meant the hearing."

"Oh, that. Well, I got up an' said my bit. You know, how Buckbeak was a good Hippogriff an' as long as yeh treated 'im with respect, he'd treat you the same. Then, Lucius Malfoy got up an' said his bit. You know, how Buckbeak was a deadly and dangerous beast that no teacher in their righ' mind would expose their students to-" A fat tear slipped down Hagrid's rough cheek.

"And?" Hagrid flung another rock across the water. "You musn't blame yourself, Hagrid."

"Draco," Suddenly, Ron came into the lake clearing. "It's him the Committee should punish. It's him they should send off to the forest, not Buckbeak."

"Buckbeak's not going back to the forest," Hagrid sniffled.

"Where's he going, Hagrid?" Hermione asked, dreading the response.

"He asked fer the worst, yeh see, Lucius Malfoy did. An' the Committee granted it. Buckbeak's been sentenced ter death," Hagrid sobbed.

"Oh, Hagrid," Hermione said. She was beside herself, but there was a boiling anger inside of her. If Draco had just shut his little mouth about getting a little scratch, none of this would've happened. Next time she saw him, she was going to pulverize him. "I'm so sorry. Karma will catch up to them. I know it will."

"Oh, Buckbeak," Hagrid whimpered as Ron and Hermione walked away from him. 

"Don't think Malfoy is so kindhearted now, do you?" Ron said.

Hermione ignored his comment. "Thought you and Harry weren't speaking to me."

"Well, Harry might not see it as the right thing to do, but he's mad so I have to pretend to be mad."

"Right," Hermione scoffed and turned her back to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione avoided Draco for the rest of the day, as well as Harry. It hurt her that she had to sit across from Harry at dinner, but couldn't talk to him. The next morning, she skipped breakfast. She saw no need to go, as she wan't hungry and she didn't want to see Harry or Draco. On her way to Divination, she was suddenly pulled into the closet.

"We have to stop meeting like this," Draco smirked at her. Hermione crossed her arms and leaned back against the wall, a cold expression on her face. "Alright, then, don't say anything. Did you skip breakfast this morning, Hermione?" Hermione gave a slight nod and nothing else. "Why?" Hermione remained quiet. She looked down at her feet. "Fine, then. Here." Draco shoved an apple and a small biscuit into her hand and shut the closet door harshly behind him. Hermione was shocked, but alas, it was time for Divination. Hermione walked in to find crystal balls set up on the tables. Hermione sat far apart from Ron and Harry. 

"Crystal gazing requires that you clear the Inner Eye. Only then, will you See. Oh my, what do we have here?" Professor Trelawney bent down next to Harry's crystal ball. 

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Here we go again. It's the Grim! It's the Grim!" Hermione mocked.

"My dear, from the moment you first arrived in my class, I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of Divination. You may be young in years, but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave." Hermione thought of something she could say in response, but came up with nothing. Hermione, offended, stood up and pushed the crystal ball to the floor. Hermione stomped out of the classroom, the crystal ball rolling apathetically behind her. 

"In late spring, one of our number will leave us forever! You knew, Professor! You saw," Lavender Brown said. Hermione rolled her eyes from outside the classroom. 

"On these occasions, I take no joy in my gift, Ms. Brown."

Later, Ron, Harry, and Hermione met up in the Courtyard, unintentionally. Harry was still upset with Hermione. Hermione stopped in her tracks, standing opposite from Ron and Harry. Ron jabbed Harry in the arm. "Spit it out, mate," Ron said.

Harry swallowed hard and cleared his throat. "I'm sorry," Harry mumbled.

"What was that?" Hermione asked.

"I'm sorry," Harry said louder, probably too loud. Hermione crossed her arms. "Oh, come on, Hermione."

"And, Harry?"

"And you were right. You were right. Is that what you want to hear?"

"Maybe."

"McGonagall gave me my broom back after she inspected it for jinxes and curses and you were right. You were right to tell her about it. I should be more careful. I can't let him kill me before I kill him. I'm sorry, Hermione. I shouldn't have gotten angry with you."

"It's alright, Harry. I forgive you." Hermione gave him a smile, but Harry attacked her with a hug.

"Merlin, Hermione, you have no idea how hard it is to be mad at you! I wanted to talk to you so bad after you stormed out of Trelawney's class! Ron and I have stuff to tell you."

"You always have stuff to tell me. Right now I have something much more important to do."

"What?" Ron asked.

"Buckbeak is being executed today. I was on my way to Hagrid's to check up on him."

"We'll come with you," Harry said.

"Perfect." Hermione, Ron, and Harry started towards Hagrid's hut. On their way, they saw a man sitting on a bench, dressed in all black. His hooded mask had eye-holes and a mouth-hole cut out of it with scissors. He smiled and waved, surprisingly cheerfully. Hermione stared at the man gravely, for he was bound to be Buckbeak's executioner. "I can't believe they're going to kill Buckbeak. It's too horrible."

"It's just got worse," Harry scoffed. Hermione looked up to see Draco standing with Crabbe and Goyle. Draco. Even though Draco was her boyfriend, she couldn't decide whether she wanted to walk straight through him or absolutely pulverize him. The three boys had binoculars in their hands, peering at Hagrid from atop the hill.

"Did you see the big fat blubbering oaf?!" Draco laughed with Crabbe and Goyle. "Oh, this is going to be rich. Did I tell you? Father said I can keep the head." Draco noticed the trio. "Come to see the show?"

Hermione advanced to him with her wand outstretched. "You, foul loathsome evil little cockroach!" she growled. She jabbed the tip of her wand under his chin. His adam's apple quivered, it was kind of hot, but never mind that. Hermione listened as she heard his troubled and terrified breaths. 

"Hermione, no!" Ron called from behind her. Hermione didn't move. "He's not worth it." Hermione nodded quietly and softly before turning and unbrandishing her wand. She heard his breath release and she just couldn't help it. It happened in slow motion for her. She whirled around on her feet and then time sped up. She punched Malfoy straight across the face. Draco stumbled onto the ground. A wave of sadness came and went for a split second before he stumbled away with his goons.

"Well, that felt good," Hermione smiled a tiny bit. But it didn't. It didn't make her feel better. It didn't change the fact that Buckbeak was still going to die today.