prologue.

"Edwards!" Someone called me from behind as I walked the hallway of Malfoy manor, quickly covering the bottle of firewhiskey with my black dress.

I turned back to see who it was and it was the none other, tall, pale boy with striking gray eyes, platinum blonde hair, and his signature smirk, Draco Malfoy.

"Emerald Edwards."

He caught up with me and I rolled my eyes, "What do you want, Malfoy?"

"Just wondering why you're clutching your dress like that."

"That's none of your business."

"You're at my place."

"Go annoy someone else." I replied sulkily as I continued on walking, heading for the stairs leading to the rooftop. I know this place in the back of my head, due to my parents taking me here every year for a Christmas dinner with the Malfoys.

"Going to the rooftop I see. I noticed that it's your favourite place. You know, since every year you would go there and come back telling your parents that you were just hanging out with me."

I stopped walking and looked at him straight in the eye, "Don't you say the same?" I asked, raising an eyebrow, lowkey showing off my brow slit and continued walking.

"Another thing I noticed is that you would always bring one big bottle of firewhiskey with you."

"Wow, I feel honoured to be noticed."

The next thing I knew, Draco stood in front of me, blocking my way. I admit, he looks good with the black suit he's wearing.

"Keep on walking and I'll tell your parents that you nicked a bottle of that whiskey."

"What do you want?" I asked once more, clearly annoyed.

"Let me come with you." He said and all I could do was burst into laughter.

"I expected more from you, Malfoy."

And yet he didn't say anything. That was when I realized that he was being serious.

"What's in it for you?"

"I'm just bored."

I hummed, "What's in it for me?"

"Nothing. Unless you want me to tell your parents..."

I rolled my eyes once more, "Fine. Let's go."

"This is my house." He pointed out once more.

"Yeah, yeah."

Once we reached the rooftop, I walked to the edge and sat down, my feet dangling off the ground. Draco gave me a weird look, "What? Are you afraid of heights now?" I challenged.

His face stiffens, "No," And he walked to sit beside me, with the bottle in between.

I opened the bottle and took a huge gulp before offering Draco.

"Do you expect me to drink from that bottle, that has touched your mouth?" He asked with disgust.

"Well you could go downstairs and get your own then, if you can that is."

Draco grunts, "Fine," before he took a swig, "Wow."

"Your first time I see."

The cold air made its way to us, though the drink made me warm in the stomach, it was still cold. My scarf was downstairs, kept by the house elves.

"What can I say, I follow the rules." He replied with pride.

"Yeah, yeah."

Draco rolled his eyes before taking off his blazer, "Here."

"I don't need it." I said, covering the fact that his actions surprised me.

"You do." Draco said and he hung his blazer on my shoulders.

"Never realized you're decent."

"Just when no one is around." He replied with a sad smile.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Maybe another time."

I gave him a nod and the next thing I know, silence took over as we sat and looked at the stars in the sky.

*

We went down as we finished the bottle, both our parents are in the living room, chatting. Draco and I entered the room, joining them.

"Ah there you are, Emerald." My mom greeted, "We have exciting news for you."

"Oh?" I replied as I sat down on one of the black velvet couch.

"We have been appointed to be working with the Ministry of Magic in London, along with your dad's movie, so you'll be attending Hogwarts next term! Draco attends the school too." Mom said with excitement.

"You call that exciting?" I replied, pissed and I saw Draco giving me a sympathetic smile and I realized I was still wearing his blazer, though our parents seemed to not care.

"You'll still have time to hang with your friends. We're going back to New York tomorrow." Dad added sternly, telling me that there was no room for rebuttals on this one while mom just gave me a nod.

Gotta love parents.

*

I entered the Hogwarts Express, along with all the other students. I was a train wreck filled with emotions. I'm spending my last two and a half years in Hogwarts instead of Ilvermorny. Not to mention that I don't blend in because of my accent. My parents forced me to follow Draco, as he was the only person I know. He introduced me to Crabbe and Goyle and they talked for the whole ride. As we arrived, the short sorting ceremony started.

"Still using hand me downs, Weasel-bee?" I heard Draco, talking to a redhead.

"Hey, do you really need to be a bitch?" I asked Draco, glaring at him.

I didn't know that he was so full of himself.

The redhead, Ron, along with his two friends, one with glasses and a girl with brown locks, looked at me, about to say something when my name was called by Professor McGonagall. "Emerald Edwards!"

"Edwards? Her parents are actors!" Someone exclaimed as I came up the stool and the professor placed the hat on me.

"Ah, this is an easy one." The hat said, "Slytherin!"

I did a bit of research before coming here, knowing that there are four houses, just like in Ilvermorny, but I wasn't surprised that I was sorted to the green house.

The Slytherin table cheered and Draco approached me, "Well, well, we'll be seeing each other quite often then."

I rolled my eyes while my head was filled with confusion.

What the hell happened to him?

-
a/n first bookkkk!