Day 1

Prompt: waking up restrained

Tony's POV
I wake up confused. I don't remember falling asleep, but I've passed out from exhaustion many times before. This feels different. Something's off. My hands feel heavy, and when I try to move them, I realize why. There are cuffs around my wrists, connected to the wall by a thick chain.

Kidnapped. Great. I try to remember the events leading up to this point, but I'm coming up with nothing. 

I take a look around the room, searching every inch for something that might help me; a clue to where I am, something I could use as a weapon, an object I could use to pick the cuffs, but find nothing. The room is small, maybe 10 feet by 10 feet with a rather low ceiling. Every surface here is concrete, the floor, the walls, the roof, and it leads me to believe I'm in a basement somewhere.

The bare lightbulb glows dimly, casting just enough light for me to be able to see. The walls are barren, empty except for an old clock on the wall across from me.

The lightbulb is giving off a soft humming sound, and the clock is ticking, but it's not enough noise to mask the sounds of pain I hear drifting through the walls. Someone else is here, and whoever they are, they're close. I hear a whimper, and I try my best to locate the source of the sound.

My eyes catch a part of the wall that is slightly uneven compared to the rest. Groans are added to the whimpering, and it sounds like they're coming from behind that part of the wall. It must be a door to another room. There is no other way to get in that I can think of, unless my kidnappers used magic to get me here.

The person behind the wall cries out in pain, and I wince. I want to help them, I want to get them out of here, but I can't. I'm powerless in this situation, and I hate it. I hate it.

I hear a couple of thuds, and the cries stop. They must've finally passed out. There are some footsteps, a door creaking open, then nothing. The assailant is gone.

A glance at the clock tells me that it's been half an hour since I woke up, and probably even longer since my captors started hurting the person in the other room. The cold from the wall, chains, and floor seeps through my shirt, and makes me tired, and I fall asleep, giving in to my exhaustion.

When I wake up the second time, it's because of the screams coming from the room beside mine. Begging, pleading, then a tortured scream rips through the air, the voice sounding hoarse, like they've been screaming for hours. They probably have.

I hear a shuffling that sounds like the torturer switching tools, then a panicked gasp.

"Please, please not this again, no please, I'll do anything. I'll do anything pl- NO! NO, DON'T! STOP! STOP IT! ST-," they break off into sobs.

I freeze. This is the first time I've heard them speak, but I recognize that voice. It's Peter. The whole time I've been here, I never thought about who it could be, just about how I failed to keep them safe. Turns out it's my son I've failed. I shake out of my stupor, and am about to call out to him when I hear a crashing noise.

Our captor mutters something, sounding angry, and starts walking around the other room, quickly, rushed. More crashing fills the air, followed by metal clattering on the cement floor.

The door opens with a bang, and a voice I never thought I'd be relieved to hear rings out.
"Stop." It's Steve. I hear them take the man away, and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest. His next words do not have the same effect.

"Oh, Peter. What did he do to you?" There is a sense of urgency in his voice that scares me. Steve is always put together in stressful situations, so the way he's letting his emotions show is worrying.

Footsteps and chattering shakes me from my thoughts and alerts me to the medics who must be rushing to get my son out of here and to the Medbay.

It suddenly hits me that this is a rescue, and they have no idea where I am. I was too concerned about Peter to remember that I was kidnapped too.
"Steve!" I shout, my voice hoarse from lack of use. I haven't uttered a word since I woke up the first time.

"Tony? Where are you?" He asks.
"I'm in another room. The door is probably hidden behind something like a shelf." I respond. He finds the door right away, pushing something away from the entrance, causing it to scrape across the floor.

He opens the hidden door and rushes into the small room. The expression on his face is a mix between relief from finding me, and disgust at how I'm being kept.
"Tony," he says, reassuring himself that I'm actually here.
"Spangles," I reply as if I'm not chained to a wall.

Steve doesn't hesitate to break the chains off my wrists, but he's extremely careful. The first thing he does when I stand up is pull me into a hug.

"Whoa there, Capsicle. You're acting like this is the first time I've been kidnapped." He pulls away.
"Tony, how long do you think it's been?"
"Like, a day and a bit.
"You and Peter were missing for two weeks."

His words echo in my head. Two weeks. Two weeks. You and Peter were missing for two weeks. Two weeks. Two weeks. Two w-

"PETER! Oh my God, is he okay? I didn't wake up until six hours ago. He's been alone for two weeks! He probably never wants to see me again. I couldn't protect him," I'm starting to panic.

"Tony, please calm down," Steve tries to soothe me, but it only adds to my anger.

"Calm down? CALM DOWN? I'M SUPPOSED TO PROTECT HIM! HE'S MY SON! I LET HIM GET TORTURED AND HE WAS ALONE BECAUSE I COULDN'T WAKE UP! YOU WANT ME TO CALM DOWN?"

I feel a prick in my arm and turn to see Bruce holding an empty syringe, with an apologetic look on his face. I turn back to Steve to see him sporting a similar look. Then everything goes black.

Day one: done. I was planning for this to be a bit longer, there was going to be more of an ending, but this is okay. I'm proud of it, so this is how it'll be posted. Tell me what you thought of it, I welcome all feedback. Happy whumptober!
1085 words.