Episode 10 Part 2: The Pirate, The Shadow and The Fairy

The Pirate, The Shadow and The Fairy

To really appreciate this series, it's important to recognize the different layers that are going on in the story. In my first part analysis of episode 5, I shared my views on the underlying theme of this series, which is that of the classic story of Peter Pan. In that story, the themes of eternal youth, motherhood, good triumphing over evil, family, adventure, belief in oneself, and adult responsibility are also prevalent in Bay Yanlis as well. In my previous analysis I pointed out to some of the more obvious comparisons, primarily in Ozgur (as Peter) and Ezgi (as Wendy), but after these last couple episodes a few more comparisons have come to surface, specifically with respect to Serdar, Tolga and Gizem.

As suspected, Serdar is Captain Hook! That unruly beard of his is growing out for no other reason than to give this impression. And his name meaning Captain in Turkish, should also be a give-away as well. His true colours are coming through and it has nothing to do with his affections for Ezgi. He's evil and just like Captain Hook's hatred towards Peter, Serdar wants revenge on Ozgur and will stop at nothing to get it, even using Yesim, his own sister to lure him. Yesim means Jade in Turkish which is a native Indian name, similar to Tiger Lily in the classic tale, a friend of Peter's who gets kidnapped by Captain Hook and who Peter tries to save.

And one of the most enigmatic characters in this series is Tolga, whose name means "Helmet", perhaps implying his combativeness. He interestingly enough compares to Peter's Shadow. He is Ozgur's rebellious cousin who has a bad history with his family and was sent to America to stay out of their lives. But now he is back in Istanbul only to cause trouble for Ozgur. Just as Peter's shadow is to Peter, so is Tolga to Ozgur in that Tolga is a much more exaggerated version of Ozgur. He's similar to Ozgur in that he is wild, elusive, energetic, playful, naive, mischievous, selfish, disobedient, sneaky but on a much more dangerous level. He is a devious entity living in Ozgur's world and monitors everyone who exists within it...just like Peter Pan's Shadow did in his. Perhaps his interaction with Tolga will shed some light on his own childish behaviour and make him want to change and become a more responsible adult.

And finally, there is Gizem who is Tinkerbell! The zap that Gizem gave Hardar when she touched him, reaffirms this revelation. Her name meaning "Mystery" or "mystic" in Turkish, which would very well describe the mysterious nature that surrounds her, as we don't really know where she stands. What we do know is that she is madly in love with Ozgur, just like Tinkerbell was with Peter and It is an unrequited love, at least as far as Gizem is concerned. But she is mischievous and will do anything in her power to get Ozgur to fall in love with her. She has an obsession so strong for him which is precisely where her jealousy for Ezgi comes from. But Ozgur, just like Peter's feelings for Tink, never reciprocates Gizem's feelings. Which is why she is a potential threat to Ezgi.

It's so amazing to see these themes come to surface. It makes the series so poetic and even more fun and intriguing to watch, I'm sure you'll agree.

Ozgur💘Ezgi

⚓️👤🧚