chapter five. BROKEN FAUCETS

CHAPTER FIVE,
broken faucets.
' maybe ophelia~san teach you? '

DANIEL WAS WORKING ON  letting some of his pent up anger go, by doing some karate kicks he had been learning from one of the many books he had been reading.

suddenly there was a knock on the screened-in door. daniel looked over, only to see the so-called 'fix it man'.

"fix faucet," the man explained, and daniel motioned for him to come into the apartment. "oh yeah," daniel nodded, "it's the kitchen one."

the man obliged, idly carrying his worn out gray toolbox by his side. the man stopped behind daniel, watching his actions. "ooh, karate?" the man asked, his japanese accent thick.

daniel's brows furrowed as he nodded, motioning to the book, but not stopping his kicks. the man walked further up, peering over to the open books. "learn from books?" the man questioned.

daniel nodded again. "yeah, i also did a few months at the Y in newark where i lived," he said, still not stopping his kicks.

"oh. . ." the man nodded, and walked over to the kitchen sink that needed fixing, still glancing over to the boy as he squatted down to get to the sink fixtures.  "what happened eye?" the man asked curiously, yet he already knew the answer.

"i-i fell off my bike," daniel lied, and the man nodded.  "i didn't know it hurt the hand," the man simply responded, making daniel slightly falter in his actions, but still continue.

"you know, books not teach proper karate. perhaps ophelia~san teach you, eh?" the man inquired. this made daniel's cheeks tickle with a light peach color, but he shook it off as he shrugged, stopping his kicks.

"i dunno. depends on if she wants to, i guess. i wouldn't want to bother her," daniel expressed, but the man only smirked, packing up his toolbox as he shook his head.

"i promise, it would not be bother to ophelia~san," the man chuckled, earning a puzzled look from daniel.

soon enough, the man cleared his throat and started to walk out. "faucet fixed." he said, kindly smiling.

daniel instantly reached for some money that his mother left him on the table, "here, let me pay you," he said, handing the man a 20 dollar bill.

the man chuckled with amusement, shaking his head. "no, no, i do for free. if you are good friend of ophelia~san, you are good friend of mine." the man said, and daniel nodded warily.

"what, is she like your daughter or something?" daniel asked curiously. the man chuckled lowly, nodding.

"something like that," the man nodded, before saying a small 'bye,' and he was out of the door, leaving daniel to wonder how much he didn't know about the mysterious girl named ophelia june.