Marriage proposal

As she walked toward the locker room, Ava wanted to be at home with Connor. For the first time in a long time, their schedule didn't match, and she missed him terribly. Usually they always worked together, and it became a habit that the unexpected discrepancy in shifts upset Ava.

"Dr. Bekker, I have some urgent news for you" Goodwin said, stepping forward with a tight smile. Such meetings, and even after work, did not Bode well. Ava nodded, standing obediently in front of the woman, ready for any instructions or reprimands. By the way, the second one came more often, especially when she was working with Connor, taking a lot of risks, doing it only on trust.

"Miss Goodwin?" Ava already prepared for the worst.

"You and Dr. Rhodes are flying to Cape town tomorrow for a conference" Goodwin said, adjusting her glasses. "I think five days off will be enough for you".

"Cape town?" Ava gasped, thinking she'd misheard. This unexpected trip to her hometown was incredible.

"Yes, Dr. Bekker, Cape town" the woman said with a kind smile. "Dr. Rhodes already knew that. Go and get ready for the flight".

As she hurried to her car, Ava wrote happy messages to Connor, then called him as soon as she left the parking lot.

"To leave cold Chicago and find yourself in warm Cape town, how wonderful" Ava exclaimed as she drove several times through the flashing traffic lights, clearly taking a risk, but not thinking about it.

"Avey, this is really great news" was all Connor said, lost in his girlfriend's happy, hurried speech.

Even when Ava went home, she didn't lose her former enthusiasm, continuing to admire the upcoming trip, completely forgetting about the twelve difficult working hours. Connor watched in silence.

After quickly collecting the necessary things, Ava calmed down a little, relaxing in Connor's native embrace.

"Ava, you know how much I love you, right?" Connor asked, his voice barely audible as he hugged her tightly, not breaking the silence of the night. Ava turned in his arms to face him, looking into his eyes. One look from her gave the right answer.

"Of course, Connor, and I love you" closing her eyes, Ava leaned into Connor's mouth, savoring the sweet kiss. She was filled with joy.

No one was able to get enough sleep, and Connor's plans for sleeping on the plane also faded when Ava didn't stop to share memories from the past, mostly about how she performed the first operations, how she coped with difficulties. And Connor wouldn't have slept at all if Ava had told him everything he didn't know.

"Do you miss the past?" Connor held Ava in his lap, taking advantage of business class privileges, picking her up from the seat next to Him immediately after take off. 

"No" Ava said confidently, frowning slightly, biting her lip. "I was always alone, and it was hard. I don't deny that I was alone in Chicago, too. Don't look at me like that, because at first I was really all alone".

"I didn't realize at the time that your taunts were a protective shell" Connor said, sounding guilty. 

"Hey, I liked spurring you on, Connor" Ava laughed, enjoying Rhodes's confused expression. "Yes, yes, I got an indescribable pleasure when you looked at me like that, silently shaking your head".

"Because you always caught me at the wrong time" Connor growled, not hiding a smile.

"That was the point of my barbs" Ava said with a satisfied grin, knowing that she would see the familiar shake of her head in response.