When they were a few metres above the ground, Haldir – who had gone first – heard his middle brother whisper: "I do not trust this forest. It is... too friendly. This is not natural. It cannot be." – "It is strange indeed," Haldir murmured. Even though he didn't turn his head he knew his brothers could hear what he was saying. "But then there seems to be plenty of elf magic here – more than I have ever felt anywhere else. It is said the Lady of Lórien is a great sorceress, although no one knows where she is drawing her powers from. Perhaps she is keeping the forest alive and as it is." – "I am starting to get quite curious for the Lord and Lady," Orophin remarked, his voice barely more than a whisper. "But I am convinced there is no power in the world that could bring Mirkwood back to its former glory. If there is a way, we must find it. The elves of the forest. Mere sorcery would not do."

Although the steps seemed to be going on forever, the brothers reached the flet in the treetop without even feeling slightly tired. A guard welcomed them and bid them to stand in the middle of the flet, opposite a broad staircase. A light – other than the moon or the lamps – started to shine and the Lord and Lady descended the stairs. Haldir had to force himself to stand still and perform the elven greeting, for his thoughts were all over the place. He had the strangest feeling that the Lady was in his head, as if her pale-blue eyes were looking right through him, leaving him without any secrets. Haldir knew as visitors they had to speak first, yet his mind seemed to be swept clean of any coherent sentence. As if the strange presence in his head had taken them all with her and left him with nothing. His brothers' faces were equally blank and only Rumil holding the letter suddenly reminded Haldir why they were here. He reached out and took the scroll from his middle brother. "Our uncle and king of Mirkwood has sent us to deliver this message to your Lord- and Ladyship," he said while noticing gladly that his thoughts were beginning to reassemble in his head.

Celeborn of Lórien had read the letter within seconds and passed it on to his wife. She barely looked at it at all; her eyes were resting on the brothers. Grief had thrown a shadow over Celeborn's face. "This is sad news. I knew them well that I sent to hold council with Thranduil. The situation in the Great Forest that is called Mirkwood nowadays must be grave indeed." – "We only know it as it has been the past two and a half centuries, my Lord, yet even we have noticed that the shadows are growing darker." Orophin scanned the flet again. "Your power must be great beyond imagination to keep your wood as it is." – The Lady sent Orophin a quizzical look and for a split-second Haldir feared his brother might have insulted her or said something indecent. But the Lady smiled. "Lothlórien is old and so are its powers. Yet nothing lasts forever so I am glad you are in time to perceive the Golden Wood in the whole of its beauty." – Lord Celeborn, who had followed the brief discourse with an interested air, looked at the brothers gravely. "We will not be able to come to a decision tonight. Please make yourself at home in Lórien, Valnin will show you where you can stay and answer all further questions."

The March Warden did as Celeborn had told and a little bit later the brothers found themselves on a flet that was rather like a hut built into the tree. Rumil looked about him uneasily. "I do not trust this place. It is too flawless. I mean, look at this and then look at Mirkwood! This cannot be real. It must be evil." – Haldir had sat down on the broad windowsill. "It is like a perfect jigsaw puzzle. Everything fits. You are right – it does not seem possible knowing what we know about woods. I have always loved them, yet I have always known that they are dangerous. Still I cannot feel an evil power in here." – Rumil sighed. "What shall we do until the Lord and Lady have decided? – I am quite glad they took the message so well." – "So am I," Orophin stretched and ruffled through his hair. "As to what I will be doing – I will close my eyes, listen to the wind and enjoy that there is no darkness and no danger for now." With swift movements he descended from the flet and went to find a suitable tree he could climb. – "And you, Haldir?" – "Valnin said we did not have to stay in the city as long as we did not venture too far out in the woods. There is too much to see to close my eyes just yet." – Rumil nodded slowly. "I agree. But I will stay within the walls of Caras Galadhon. And Haldir?" – "Yes?" – "Don't go too far – make sure I will be able to find you, should I have to." The edges of Rumil's lips twitched as if he was about to smile. Without realising, Haldir mirrored his brother's expression. "I won't."