Then Ethan came towards me and passed his hand to me. I shook his hand while putting the most genuine smile on my face.

Ethan then went into the kitchen to get some more dishes when Amber came in front of me. “Happy Thanksgiving again”, she said awkwardly, her hands were entwined behind her.

I widened my arms giving her the clear hint and to that she just rushed in my arms with the same intensity as I wanted her to. I again couldn’t help but just remind myself of how amazing she smelled.

I stroked her hair before placing a small kiss on them. We held each other for several minutes before we heard someone coughing in the background.

Amber parted from me and after passing me a big smile that reached till her eyes, we all sat down to start with the dinner. Amber was sitting next to me while Ethan sat opposite us, probably in an attempt to make me choke on my food.

They held hands over the table and both of them gave me their hands to take hold of it. I pushed my hands in theirs and Ethan gave me a light squeeze that made me roll my eyes.

We said a short prayer before digging in the food. Amber took a bite of the turkey and said, “Mhmmm…This is so tasty Ethan. How do you always manage to make the best turkey just like my mother?”

After realizing that she just mentioned her mother she became quiet and Ethan looked at me understandingly. I rested my palm on her thigh under the table and rubbed soothingly to tell her that it was fine.

To change the topic and the sad environment, I initiated a conversation with Ethan and he got my point behind it. “The food is really lip-smacking. I have eaten this pumpkin cheese bread so many times from all the best places, but the thing you got here feels so good on my taste buds”, I said while putting my fork in my mouth.

“This is Amber’s recipe. She bakes the best pies and breads in the entire world. You should try her banana bread once if you ever get the chance. I am sure it will rock your world”, Ethan said while smiling like a proud mom. Amber just smiled as if Ethan was just over-praising her and said to me, “Tell me the next time you come at the bar. I will bring it for you so that you can get it in Ethan’s thick skull that it isn’t so good as he claims it to be.”

At her reply, I looked at the plate in front of me for a minute before replying, “Actually…I don’t think I will be coming to the bar anymore. I don’t want to air any of those rumours by still visiting the bar.” I could see the smile that was plastered on her face a minute ago now turned into a frown.

After a second when she realized that I had seen her expressions changing, she just gave me a smile that was a complete formality. The rest of the dinner passed by pretty much the same way wherein Amber just nodded or smiled at the short conversations that Ethan and I made.

I knew I was the reason behind that sadness that was etched on her face but honestly, even if I wanted to I couldn’t help her here. I was slowly starting to feel things for her that I shouldn’t feel for any other woman other than Khloe and also I shouldn’t forget the negative press that would follow Amber because of being connected to me.

As I am already married she would hear depressing titles from the press like ‘The home wrecker’ and 'Ryan Parker’s mistress' which was sure as hell not true. And all of this would be just too much for her innocent self to handle.

As I was getting ready to leave, I thanked Ethan for having me and then I asked Amber if we could talk alone for a moment. She led me to the same balcony again and told me with a small smile, “I hope I was successful in my attempt to make you feel like home although we guys are far from family to you.”

I held her hands in mine and said with a sincere smile, “Thank you for thinking so much about me. If not family, you guys are surely friends. And you have my card if you need any help from me. Also, be safe for the next few days. I am sure the media will follow you around and also I am so sorry for putting you in this situation. Take care of yourself please.” I stroked her cheek with my thumb but she held my hand and dropped it to my side before replying, “It’s fine seriously. I can manage it, I guess. Also, for the bodyguard thing that you told me back in the car, please don’t do it. I don’t want to attract any more attention than I already have by roaming around with a bodyguard.”

I felt hurt coursing through my heart at her reaction. She was acting…distant and it affected me.

I gave her my phone and asked her to put her number there if I need to contact her in case of an emergency which was another stupid reason for getting her number. What emergency could I face that would require Amber to be there? 

When I was done staying there at the balcony with her for any possible reason that I could think of, I knew it was time to leave. I also knew that it was probably the last time I would be seeing her.

I wanted to feel her warmth against my body once before I leave. So without even thinking it through, I took her in my arms but it was different this time.

She did not wrap her arms around me and I felt that I was hanging around to a twig when the storm was already there, ready to swipe me away with it. I tried to tell her through that hug that how much I will miss her and how much I wanted to stay no matter how harmful it might be for her safety and my reputation.

I looked at her once more before leaving her alone in the safety of the starry night. I did see her eyes glistening with tears when I looked at her for the last time.

Heck I was thinking if she saw me crying…for her. Was she crying because of the same reason that brought me to the edge of an emotional breakdown?

Did she feel the same way as I felt about her or was it just because of the temporary attachment that binds you to another person? If we both were on the same path, I knew we both would be facing some serious problems ahead.

Just thinking about it, made me want to run away somewhere far where life would be easy and less complicated.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Hello guys! So Thanksgiving finally comes to an end but luckily the exciting plots that I have planned for this book doesn't. I never got a chance to celebrate Thanksgiving before so please excuse me if I have written something that isn't practical. My next update will be on Friday. Also, do vote for my story and do share it with your friends and family❤ Meet you'll soon. Have a nice week ahead!