25: Hospitals Smell Like Hand Sanitiser

Taeyong didn't know how long he slept again after that, but when he woke up, things seemed to have a lot more colour and were a whole lot noisier. The loudest sound made him wince more than his incoming headache did.

"You're awake again," Doyoung said, his tensed shoulders slumping in relief.

Taeyong opened his mouth to speak, but it was stale and acrid, so he shut it again. Doyoung watched him apprehensively as Taeyong used his elbow to prop himself up. He put a hand to his head and breathed out as he sat up, the sudden movements making him dizzy.

"You were out for two days." Doyoung handed him some water in a plastic cup. Taeyong's lips tugged into a small smile as he sipped on the water, the cup malleable under his fingers. It was odd, in a way, to see Doyoung so caring. If he could call it that anyways.

"Your death would've been on my conscience. If you died, I would've had to deal with everyone asking me about it," Doyoung pinched the bridge of his nose, "I've had enough of a headache from you already."

Perhaps caring wasn't the right word. Doyoung didn't mean it, but it was easier to keep acting mean than suddenly starting to act nice. Taeyong's glanced over at Doyoung and despite his harsh words, his eyes had softened considerably.

"Sorry for nearly dying on you," Taeyong croaked sarcastically, placing the cup on his bedside table. He looked around the hospital, unsure of why exactly he was here, an asthma attack probably, but why? The last thing he remembered was Doyoung chasing him then... then it was all hazy. He felt like he was missing a big chunk.

"What happened?" Taeyong mumbled more to himself than anything but Doyoung reacted with wide eyes. "Why were you chasing me?"

He turned to Doyoung and looked at him with furrowed brows.

"Was it because you got rejected?" Taeyong added with a wry laugh.

The reminder was a slap in the face for Doyoung, and he picked up his surprised expression to pinch his nose.

"I wasn't angry at you," Doyoung sighed in exasperation, "I was trying to warn you."

"Warn-"

Suddenly, a migraine hit him like a ton of bricks and Taeyong clutched at his head with a wince, the memories of what had just happened resurfacing. Ten, Johnny, Mr Park.
That bastard old man had tried to kill him and for what? Some godforsaken presidential seat? All in the name of goddamn politics?

The absurdity of it all made that rage, that bone crushing, toe curling rage return and Taeyong gripped at his sheets. Doyoung eyed Taeyong's white knuckles and bit the inside of his cheek, there was no witty or snarky remark that could lighten the mood in that moment so he decided to keep quiet.

And worst of all, the thing that had really topped if all off was Jaehyun. Jaehyun of all people. Taeyong shut his eyes, he still couldn't believe it. Jaehyun had betrayed him, not just with one or two silly white lies, this was enough to break them up forever if it came down to it. Jaehyun had used him for his own personal gain, he had worked with his bastard of a kidnapper.

And in spite of all that, a large part of him still craved Jaehyun. Still craved for his touch, his words, those delicate kisses he used to place at his jugular, and Taeyong hated himself for it. Hated that despite all that happened, he still yearned for him like nothing else he'd ever wanted in his life.