Chapter 3

The Baudelaires looked oddly at the two small creatures that ran after them. One lagged, yelling "Clive!" and scooting after the other one, who didn't seem very athletic. The boy in front of them swiftly put his leg out, tripping the person.

"Hey! That wasn't very nice!", Violet glared at the boy in front of her as she bent down to help the creature. "Excuse me, are you ok?"

"Yes!", said, attempting to smoothen out the ruffles and dust that had gotten on the carrot bag that he wore. "Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes...", he mumbled silently. Then looking up awkwardly at the Baudelaires, a lightbulb lit up in his head. "Oh! Yes, we are your helper elves!"

  "CLIVE!", the other similar creature, but much shorter and with random cloth as clothing, came up and faced the elf. "I told you not to run! -Oh hi...I'm Gem.", it said.

  "Clive!", said the elf behind Gem. "I'm Clive and this is Gem- "

  "I already introduced myself!", she turned back at Clive with a frown.

  "Umm... anyways,", Klaus started, trying to break the argument. "What will you be doing for us?"

  "Well, you think teachers can hold your hands every day? We're you're guides.", she rolled her eyes like it was an obvious answer.

"Ok, then umm...- ", Violet immediately stopped trying to think of another thing to say when one of the older wizards stood and clapped his hands three times. Violet was relieved.

  "Welcome to another hopefully brilliant and magical year at Hogwarts!", all the children and adults filled the room with whistles, clapping, and cheering. With a movement of his hand, the room quieted down. "Let's begin the year with having the first years and new students come up to the sorting hat! McGonagall?"

  Mc Gonagall walked onto the platform with an old hat. Everyone was very interested in how a hat sorted... then a small crease in the front of the hat opened wide. It then began to sing a song to the children...

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge what you see.

Ill eat myself if you can find a smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat, and I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head the Sorting Hat can't see.

So, try me on and I will tell you where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart.

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart:

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal.

Those patent Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil:

Or yet in wise Ravenclaw,

If you're a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind:

Or perhaps in Slytherin,

Where you'll meet your real friends,

Those cunning folks use any means,

To achieve their ends.

So, put me on!

Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands, though I have none,

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

With a finish of a little bow, the hat stood straight up, and the audience roared. Then Mc Gonagall presented a list of names in front of her with a wave of her wand.

"May Anns, Calley come up to the Sorting Hat."

The girl scooted out of the line and up steps and sat in mid-air. Mc Gonagall sat the hat on her brown hair as it shifted.

"HUFFLEPUFF!", It screamed as she ran off shyly to sit on a bench.

"Azario, Juan", Mc Gonagall said again as a taller Hispanic boy ran up to the spot.

After thinking for a little while the hat ran out "SLYTHERIN!"

"Baudelaire, Klaus", she said once again as Klaus nervously took a step forward. Clive ran up to hold his hand, assisting him in finding the steps and the stool.

The Sorting Hat was carefully placed on Klaus's head as it rustled uncomfortably. "mmm....", it said quietly." That will do." Then, louder than a train it hollered into the crowd, "RAVENCLAW!", and Klaus took Clive's hand once again as he led Klaus to a spot on a bench.

   "Baudelaire, Violet."

  Gem ran back to Violet, who took a deep breath and picked up Sunny. She then took the hand of Gem. "Wait, wait please.", she stopped as she pulled a long purple ribbon from her pocket and pulled her hair up as she tied a bow. "Okay.", she took Gems hand again and carefully went up the steps. She felt around for the stool as she sat down.

  The Sorting Hat then was put on Violets head as it wriggled. "Oh, this one's a Ravenclaw- ", Violet then got some hope. "-But a lot more bravery than a Gryffindor!", it whispered and with one swift forwards motion it screamed "GRYFFINDOR!" And Violet shuffled off the platform with the help of Gem.

  "Cryti, Halley."

  "Flittens, Henry."

  "Polten, Corteny."

  The list went on and on. They had every name on it from 'Lo, Pey' to 'Quinterdillia, Seveinia.'. Some were shy, some were ambitious, and some were just plain mad. Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, were shouted left and right as the line got shorter and shorter until one kid was remaining. They called "Zederian, Phillipo', and he walked up and sat down. He was sorted into Ravenclaw, and that was that.

  Dumbledoor stood up. "Well, now that everyone is sorted, let the feast begin!!!", and suddenly warm golden plates of stuffed turkey, rice, and pork, and even tofu burgers! The Baudelaires realized they were starving when they breathed in and the smell, the smell! It tasted like heaven on a table! They ate like they hadn't eaten for weeks!

  After the feast was done, everyone was excused. When Violet and Klaus got up, Gem and Clive shook their heads, saying "no you must stay." Soon the three children, Gem, Clive, Dumbledoor, Proffesor McGonagall, and Hagrid, were left in the big dining hall.

"Baudelaires.", Dumbledoor said. "Come up to us."

Sunny was set down by Violet and ran up to Hagrid. Then Violet and Klaus went up too.

"I know this isn't where you belong. And you're muggles, so everything around you is a mystery. But I can tell you with the help of Gem and Clive, you'll be safe.", Dumbledoor told the children.

"Thanks for your kindness, but what do we do now?", Violet asked politely.

"You and your siblings will sleep with Hagrid for tonight. I will call upon the house elves to make some room for our... guests.", He told the children reassuringly. He pointed twords Hagrid, who had their baby sister asleep in his arms.

"Come on, Baudelaires. Ey' you want some tea?", Hagrid asked as he pushed open the door to his hut and ducked inside.

"No thanks, but we appreciate the offer.", Klaus said polietly, giving the cup back to Hagrid.

"Where will we be sleeping, and, can you anwser a few questions for us?", Violet asked.

"Sure!", He cheered. "Al'right, youll be sleepini' over there.", He pointed to an old couch in the corner of the room. The two Baudelaires sat down with Hagrid, who still held Sunny in his arms. "What are your questions Baudelaires?"

Many questions were asked and answered until the children's eyelids began to sag and all three of the children and Hagrid fell silent inside the hut.