━━ i. meeting the nazi

Start from the beginning

It wasn't something too special for Ruby. Her grandma always took her with her to watch her operate. Her colleagues though were fascinated by the sight and thought about all the surgeries they are going to do.

Some minutes later, Ruby sat on a bench in a locker room looking at herself in her new scrubs. Her name was on her left breast in small blue letters. Dr. Ruby Moore.

As she still observed herself, a doctor came into the room reading of names from a list.
„Okay. Martin, Robinson, Bond, Parkins."

Ruby sighed and looked behind her at Cristina. „Only seven women out of twenty."

Cristina nodded putting her things in a locker a little bit aggressive. „Yeah. I hear one of them's a model. Seriously, like that's going to help with the respect thing?"

„You're Cristina and you're Ruby, right?", asked the blonde that came late.

„Which resident you assigned to? We got Bailey. And wait are you the model?"

„What? No, oh my god. But The Nazi? Yeah, me too.", she said annoyed.

„You got the Nazi? So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley, uh, we met at the mixer, you had a red dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals...", the two girls exchanged looks, as Ruby raises an eyebrow, not slightly remembering him, "Now you think I'm gay."

In the meantime Ruby was ready and followed Cristina chuckling to herself. At the poor attempt of George trying to explain himself, Ruby laughed even more, which is why Cristina bumped her elbow in her rips.

„No, I'm not gay, it's, ah, it's just that, you know, you were, I mean, you were very, unforgettable."

„It's okay, George, I think we understand.", he smiled gratefully at Ruby.

The doctor read the next names from his list. „O'Malley, Yang, Grey, Stevens. Oh, and Moore."

„Dr Bailey?"

He nodded his head. „End of the hall."

Wondering to herself why Dr. Bailey is named the Nazi, even though she's not very threatening, Ruby looked at Christina.

„That's the Nazi?"

„I thought the Nazi would be a guy.", George asked and spoke out the thoughts that everyone had. They all walked down the hall, Ruby in the back with Cristina, then Meredith and George in the middle and a blonde intern at the front.

„I thought the Nazi would be...the Nazi.", Ruby mumbled to Cristina and Meredith. But a blonde female intern catched it.

„Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant, and they call her Nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice." Ruby and Cristina rolled their eyes figuring out that this was the model. The bubbly and enthusiastic blonde gave them a look and turned to Bailey smiling extending her hand. „Hi, I'm Isobel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie."

Bailey looked her up and down not responding or shaking her hand making Ruby laugh quietly. „I have five rules. Memorise them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you, that's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone lists, pagers.", they all grabbed a pager and ran after Dr. Bailey, „Nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run. A run, that's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts forty-eight hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain, you run labs, write orders, work every second night till you drop and don't complain!"