"You absolutely can."

"We want you to stay.", Mia said softly. Everyone nodded.

"Thanks guys." He laughed a little, "You guys are my only friends."

"Same.", Mia, Ashlyn, Justin Landon and Sebastian said. Max, Luke, Maria and Luca were all in clubs and played sports. They had multiple school families.

"I'm glad you all are close. I'm glad you've all found people you can confide in.", I said softly, "I'd like to be part of your little family, but I understand the hesitation."

"You're part of it right now.", Maria shrugged, "It's a step in the right direction." I nodded,

"You're right."

~~~~

"Woah, Luca you look like hell.", I heard Ashlyn say as I walked in.

"Language Ashlyn Nicholson.", I scolded.

"Sorry sir." My eyes fell to Luca, who really did look like hell,

"Woah. Are you okay?" He shook his head,

"I got kicked off football yesterday and my mom died last night." I paused,

"Sounds like a circle day." Before long, we all sat in our little circle of secrets, Luca between me and Max. "Wanna talk about it?", I asked softly.

"I didn't even think about it all day until I got in here." He paused, "I guess I know I can talk about it here."

"Good."

"What happened?", Maria asked.

"She's had cancer for a few years. I was pissed when my dad sent me here because it's so far from them. I didn't want her to die without me there. She promised she wouldn't because she was getting better. Then she did."

"I'm so sorry."

"We all are.", I added, "You guys wanna go to the beach?"

"Who is this guy?", Ashlyn laughed, getting up, "Let's go."

~~~~

"Mia, you wanna come shopping with us?", Maria asked at the end of class as her and Ashlyn stood by the door, "Just us girls. The guys can suck it."

"Hey!", Max and Landon complained, making the girls laugh. Mia hesitated,

"Umm-", she looked from them to me as I nodded,

"You can go."

"Awesome!"

"Why do you need his permission?", Ashlyn asked before her eyes got wide, "That's it isn't it!?"

"That's your secret!?", Sebastian asked. She let out a breath,

"Y-Yeah."

"Alright. Sit down.", I said sitting up front. Everyone did so, ignoring the bell. "Mia lives with me, yes."

"Why?", Maria asked. I looked to Mia.

"My... parents died... he was my godfather- who I'd never met I might add- so if anything happened, I was to go live with him. And here I am.", she explained.

"That sounds awful."

"Wow, thanks.", I laughed.

"Well, sometimes I dread this class."

"But sometimes it's our favorite.", Luca said. Landon nodded,

"More the latter lately."

"Good. Point is, yes, Mia is living with me and no it doesn't change the fact that here, she is my student and is treated as such."

"That's why you guys hid it?", Ashlyn asked. We nodded. "Well that's dumb. You shouldn't keep secrets from your family."

"And we won't from now on. Go home guys." All the boys filed out, the girls waiting on Mia. "Here.", I said handing her my black credit card, "Buy what you want. Be back home by seven."

"Got it. You're sure?" I nodded,

"You've been good lately. You've earned it. Especially after your biology test. I'm really proud of you." Her eyes lit up,

"Really!?"

"Yes?" She bolted around the desk and hugged me,

"You've never said that to me." I smiled a little,

"It's true. Go have fun." They walked out, Ashlyn last as I stopped her, "Ashlyn."

"Yeah?"

"You shouldn't keep secrets from your family." She swallowed hard,

"I'm sorry."

"Ash let's go!", Maria called.

"Go. We'll talk another time."