"The Grandest Engine"

​Gordon sees himself as the most important engine of all the railway. Even thinking he's the fastest. Henry begs to differ. Whenever he can, Henry teases Gordon, messing with him to make him upset and fussy. Gordon can't stand it when Henry dose that. More often than not, Gordon speaks his mind to Henry, not wondering if he might hurt Henry's feelings. One afternoon, Henry was instructed to pull the Flying Kipper by Sir Topham Hatt. "It's not fair!", grumbled Gordon. "Henry always gets to do the most important deliveries. Why can't I?" "But don't you get to pull important coaches with important people inside?", Percy chimed in. "Well, yes. I mean, well. It's not the same!", Gordon replied. "Besides", he stared. "What good is raw fish to an engine anyway?" Gordon still secretly wanted to pull the Flying Kipper.

​At the docks, Henry was getting prepared to pull the Flying Kipper. Loads of raw fish and other food were being loaded onto it as workers worked fast. Henry was excited but also scared about what happened the last time he pulled the Flying Kipper. However, it was the middle of the day when he could see and no snow would be coming for months. Henry's driver blew his whistle and Henry was off.

​The trip was going well. The sky was clear, the warm sun shone down and the rails were clear. Henry wore a proud smile on his face. Gordon was pulling some empty coaches on his way to pick up some passengers at another station. He looked over to see Henry in the distance. Gordon had to emit that he was impressed by how well Henry was doing. After everything Henry has been through, Gordon had to let him have his time to shine. Up ahead, there laid a caboose with no one in it. Henry didn't know that it had broken down and someone in there had gone to get help. Henry couldn't tell if it was moving or not but Gordon could see further than Henry and saw it wasn't moving. Not wanting history to repeat itself, Gordon fastened his pace and whistled. "Gordon, slow down!", his driver said. But Gordon didn't listen. "Henry!", he called out. "Look out! Important engine coming through!" Henry looked over as his driver applied the brakes. Henry had difficultly slowing down. Gordon was going at full speed while still whistling. Henry stopped just feet away from the caboose but Gordon plowed through the intersection, going off the rails into a hill of dirt. Gordon's face was submerged in it as he released steam out of embarrassment. Some workers came to help out as the caboose was coupled up to Henry to take. Henry looked over to Gordon and whistled to him as he left. Gordon knew there were words to come.

​That evening, after being talked to by Sir Topham Hatt, Gordon slithered into the sheds, embarrassed that every engine would find out what he did to save Henry from having another accident. Luckily, no engine was at the sheds. Just after pulling in, Henry arrived. He backed up slowly then looked to Gordon. Before he could speak, Gordon interfered. "I didn't mean to make a scene", he said. "I just......didn't want you having another accident while pulling the Flying Kipper. I knew how much it meant to you." Henry smiled. "I know", he said. "Why do you think I whistled to you before leaving to deliver it?" Gordon looked away, embarrassed. "I suppose you don't call yourself 'the fastest engine' for nothing, right?", Henry asked. Gordon looked towards him. "I suppose", he said doubtfully. Henry released some steam. "Then why don't you show me that? Into the night? I have time." Gordon's eyes widened as he gulped. He knew what Henry meant. "If only you think you're up for the challenge", Gordon cockily said, giving in to Henry. "Ha! I'm sure I am, Fat Face!", replied Henry. "Then let it be.", proclaimed Gordon. After getting on the turn table, Henry backed into Gordon's shed, who was already inside. After backing all the way in, the double doors closed. Steam flooded under the door into the dark night with the sound of whistles.

The End