Chapter 38 | The Hunt

Começar do início

Qi Musheng lowered his eyes and replied in a subdued voice, "Thank you, Father Emperor, for your concern. Consort mother is very good and she misses you."

"I'm afraid she misses her past status." He chuckled softly as if he was just joking casually, but Qi Musheng stiffened and lowered his head.

The people on the side knew that the Eldest Prince was not liked by His Majesty. Seeing this scene, it proved to be true, but if the Eldest Prince was the alien star, then why hadn't His Majesty dealt with him and just ignored him instead?

In contrast, the Second Prince was greatly favoured but was implicated by his Consort Mother's matter. He hadn't been seen by His Majesty's side for many days. Unfortunately, it seemed that he had been put under house arrest for a long time and wasn't even allowed to follow them to the field hunting ground. Thinking back to the road trip yesterday, they didn't see his figure and upon looking at the side, all the princes and princesses came to please His Majesty but the Second Prince alone wasn't present.

This showed that the Second Prince, Qi Mingyue, was indeed out of favour; it was no wonder that the harem appeared so active today.

"Father Emperor, this child has been in his room recently and hasn't been practising martial arts." An abrupt remark caused everyone's attention to focus on one of the princes.

"It seems that I haven't seen Xiao SanEr for quite a few days, what do you always do in your room?" Although there still wasn't a smile on his face, Qi Xutian had a rare pleasant attitude towards this prince.

This was the Third Prince, Qi Lianshuo, who rarely appeared. He took a step forward and stood in front of the rest of his siblings, and with his eyes widened, he answered Qi Xutian, "This child is occupied with reading books. Concubine Mother said that she would not let me out until the books in the entire room were finished." His words didn't hold any grievances, instead, seemed a bit ostentatious.

Concubine Xiao quickly approached him, took his hand and said, "Your Majesty, this concubine feels that HuangEr[1] is still young and his mind is moldable. If at this time, he learns the truths of the world, it would be very good for him and in the future, he would be able to share Your Majesty's worries."

[1] Literally translates to "Emperor's son", can be understood as Prince.

"It seems that Xiao SanEr is fond of reading, I wonder how much you have read?" Seeing His Majesty seemed interested, Concubine Xiao quickly replied with a smile, "He has read half of all the books in the study."

"Father Emperor, aren't I very powerful?" Qi Lianshuo's small face was full of pride, he seemed to want to be praised. Qi Xutian slightly curved his lips and said, "Indeed. Since Xiao SanEr is so diligent, how about I reward you with a roomful of books?"

Qi Lianshuo shook his head hastily, "No, no! If Father sends some again, I won't be able to go out! If I miss you and you don't come to visit me, wouldn't that be bad!"

The princes and princesses on the side looked at this Third Imperial Brother whom they seldom met and all felt envious. It was rare for Father to have such a pleasant look.

Seeing this, all the ministers remembered that the Third Prince was the most loved prince before Qi Mingyue. It seemed that only he could attract His Majesty's attention, conceivably, the drama in the harem finally had a winner. Consort An was convicted and Concubine Xiao had this prince, in addition, the Empress was also confined in the Ranxin Pavilion; it seemed that she would be the head of the harem now. 

While Qi Lianshuo had a naive smile on his face and wanted to act coquettish towards Qi Xutian, a figure slowly approached Qi Xutian's side.

How could anyone be allowed to get so close to the throne?! And Chief Liu didn't even block him! Everyone was a little stunned.