The Gap

Lucifer was seething as he glared down at you, trying to control himself enough as to not completely tear you apart. You looked straight into those eyes of icy fury then looked away, gazing upon the mess that you and Satan had made to piss him off. Well, it was a success and yet it was also a failure since you were caught in action.

"Are you going to explain to me why you did this, (Y/N)?" Lucifer inquired impatiently as he stared at you. "I expect this behaviour from Satan or Belphie or Mammon, but you? You haven't done something so reckless in so long. I thought you had grown out of it yet it seems that in the end you're still that same difficult human you were when you first arrived."

You stood listening to his lecture for a few hours. You hadn't even had a chance to speak even though he asked you for an explanation. Lucifer had finally finished lecturing and just looked at you and Satan, now awaiting a response.

"I was sick of you treating me like some child you need to control! So we wanted to teach you a lesson for once!" You shouted, anger boiling to the surface at the memories of his treatment towards you.

You glowered at Lucifer as his glare remained the same. "You'll be cleaning this up." Lucifer stated shortly then went to walk off. You watched him leave, anger and remorse circling in you as Satan sighed and began cleaning.

"He took it easy on us thanks to you." Satan said as he worked on cleaning.

"That was easy?! He was so pissed..." The anger fleeted from you as guilt filled you. "He probably hates me now." You started to clean up as well.

"Considering he didn't do any of his usual punishments or torture," Satan scoffed, "we definitely got off easy. I'm surprised he didn't at least punish me."

You cleaned quietly the rest of the time and once you finished, you went to go find Lucifer who was on call with Lord Diavolo. You waited behind him, silently as he talked.

"(Y/N) and Satan decided it would be a good idea to mess up my study." Lucifer griped, anger oozing from his voice. "I'm making them clean every last bit up right now." You couldn't hear Diavolo's side as Lucifer continued, "I thought (Y/N) was my one break from my brothers and now they have dragged them into their mess."

He talked for a while longer, mentioning you, both good and bad until he finally hung up his call.

"Lucifer...?"

Turning to see you, Lucifer's eyes widened. "(Y/N). What is it?"

"I finished cleaning and I...I wanted to apologize." You looked up at him. "I was also wondering, did you go easy on us with your punishment?"

"Of course not. I simply gave you a punishment I saw as fitting for your sin." Lucifer huffed.

"I'm sure you would have done worse if it wasn't me, but anyway, thank you, Lucifer." You gently took his hand and looked him straight in the eyes. "And I'm sorry for acting out like a child." You let go and walked off, heading to your room for some alone time after cleaning for hours.

...

As you relaxed in the bath, you heard your DDD text tone go off. You sat up in the bath and reached for your phone and checked through the chat messages.

Lucifer: (Y/N), is there anything you'd like for dinner? I have some human world ingredients from a trip recently. I figured I'd let you pick out the meal then.

You: I'd love some chicken with mashed potatoes and mac n cheese if possible please.

Lucifer: Right, will you help me prepare it? I'm sure you've had it before.

You: Sure thing, just let me get out of the bath. I'll be down in a few minutes.

You put your DDD back and drained out the tub as you dried off and got dressed. You went down to the kitchen and saw Lucifer looking through the recipe with all the ingredients and tools out. He waved you in as his eyes didn't leave the recipe.

"This doesn't seem too difficult, but I still want to ensure I make it correctly." Lucifer commented as he set the recipe down. "Can you handle the mac n cheese and I'll handle the rest?"

"Of course! But don't be afraid to let me help if you need it." You said as you started preparing the mac n cheese.

"Of course, of course."

Together, you two made dinner and served it after not too long. Everyone came down for supper, surprised to see a human world dish in front of them.

"It smells too good to resist." Beel commented as he began to dig in. "Too delicious to resist!"

"It's really good!" Levi added. "It feels like it's straight out of a cooking anime!"

You smiled proudly as you ate yours which turned out surprisingly good considering you hadn't really cooked it other than helping your parents out occasionally. You looked at Lucifer who was rather quiet as he ate his dinner.

"Do you think it turned out well?" You asked, only wanting to hear his opinion.

"I'd say we did an excellent job. Well done, (Y/N)." Lucifer looked at you, smiling softly with that polite smile he had. "Thank you for your help."

You nodded, almost expecting more even though you knew it wasn't likely to happen. You ate the rest of your supper in silence as you listened to all their conversations. Even though you and Lucifer had somewhat worked out what happened and you had apologized, it still felt like there was a gap. There was tension between you two that felt like it pushed you both apart. You watched him, taking in his every movement as you thought of the strange gap between you two. You couldn't quite place your finger on it, but there was something about it that was different than it just being tension. Although it only made you want to fix it.