Chapter 3

The next day Ray couldn’t help it but find out if Ken came back to the tree.

Bursting through his morning routines of modified hygiene and putting on two day old clothes, he flew out the door.

          The fastest way to the tree, Ray sneaked up. Not sure if others would be with Ken.

No sounds touched the ears, nor did the birds cackle. All seemed safe. He saw the tree and listened for Ken. He walked around its big trunk, nothing. “I guess I got excited over nothing.”’ Ray gloomily stated.

“Got excited over what?” On a branch, Ken sat swinging his legs like child. “Why are you here so early? Arent you more of a night owl?” said Ken. Ray shrugged his shoulders.

 “I didn’t have anything else to do, and I thought we could hang out.”

“Well,” Ken started, “I’m not doing anything, why not?” his hand waving for Ray to come up. Ray had never climbed trees before. Once up he sat nervously on a wide branch. Gripping hard.

          Todd and Ivar were lurking in the park nearby Osceola woods. While  swinging they talked about various bands, girls, and games.

A voice echoed from the woods. “I wonder who’s out there?” Todd said.

“Probably Ray. Ugh. Ever since he went nuts that one day, he goes out there all the time.” Said Ivar. “I saw him the other day and he tried talking to me but I just don’t want anything to do with him. You know?”

“Yeah that is true.” Said Todd “I kind of feel bad but it’s like what choice do we have? We hang out with him, than no one else will want to with us.”

 As Ivar began to speak he stood up. “Should we at least go check it out? We have nothing better to do.” Todd looked in dismay but still stood up and walked with Ivar.

          Ken and Ray jumped off the tree. “Hey Ray, want to check something out?”

“Sure.” Ken led Ray away from the tree quite away to what looked like an old cement shed. “What is that?”

Ken walked into it while saying “I don’t know but I’m sure it used to hold dead bodies.” Hesitating, Ray stood outside the entrance. His ears pricked up feeling a sensation on the back of his spine. Whoever it was he didn’t want to know who. It could ruin his new friendship.