Chapter 1

"Lucy! Get up, your shift started an hour ago!"

A teenage girl, no older than fourteen, groaned as she rolled over the side of her bed. She yawned as she entered the bathroom looking into the mirror as she brushed her teeth. Her red hair was tied into a messy bun that was sticking out in odd places after a night's rest.

"Lucille! Let's go!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming," Lucy grumbled grabbing her hairbrush and attacking her mess of fiery hair. She pulled on a white t-shirt, jeans, and her servers apron. She tied her long hair back with a black ribbon and threw a pair of black slip-on shoes on her feet before bursting down the staircase that led to her room.

"Good morning Pierce!" Lucy said sweetly as she spotted him in the apartment area.

The older man just grumbled when he saw her, "you're late."

"Oh, am I?" She smiled innocently, "I could've sworn my shift started at nine o'clock!"

"Lucille Evans! It's ten o'clock!" He corrected.

"Is it really?" She feigned surprise, "my clock must be wrong then! It won't happen again, I promise!"

"You said that yesterday!" Pierce cried, "and the day before! And the day before that!"

"Whoops!" Lucille smiled, "Gotta go Pierce! I'm going to be late for my shift!"

She walked into the pub with a bounce in her step.

"Good morning Uncle Abe!" She kissed the bar owner's cheek.

"Late again, Luce, going for a record?" Aberforth grinned.

"You bet!" Lucy smirked.

Aberforth chuckled and shook his head, "you're going to drive Pierce to insanity one of these days."

"Aw, no I won't!" Lucille protested, taking her position at the sink washing dishes, "he loves me."

Aberforth just laughed and looked up at the young girl, "you're breakfast is over here, come eat."

She grinned, "Waffles, my favorite. I'll eat when I'm done with these," She gestured to the plates.

Lucy spent her morning washing dishes, sweeping, taking orders, and chatting with the pub's regulars.

"Lucy, you're good to go, get some fresh air," Aberforth yelled a little after two in the afternoon.

"Alright," Lucy said hanging up her apron, "I'll be back in time for the supper rush." Aberforth ruffled the girl's hair as she passed. She gave him a loving smile and ventured out into the warm summer sun. She walked down the familiar path of Hogsmeade heading for Honeydukes.

"Hi! Mr. Flume, Mrs. Flume." Lucy greeted as she stepped into the candy shop.

"Good afternoon Lucy!" Mr. Flume smiled and looked up from the register.

"Can we help you with anything today, Dear?" Mrs. Flume patted the girl's cheek as she walked by.

"No, I'm just here for a bag of  Pink Coconut Ice," she smiled, "you know how much I love it."

"Of course, dearie" Mrs. Flume chuckled. "You know where they are."

The redhead paid for her candy with some of her tips from her shift earlier that morning.

"Bye!" She called cheerfully, leaving the brightly colored store.

Lucy climbed to the top of a hill, taking shelter from the summer sun in the shadow of the Shrieking Shack.