Edmund Pevensie ~ Promise

Word count: 623

"How could you be so stupid?" I practically yelled, rushing towards Peter and Edmund.

"You don't even know what's happened yet," Edmund responded with.

"I don't need to. I can tell by the look on your face that whatever happened was dumb," I said back. I noticed the way he was holding his arm. "Ed, what've you done to your arm?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said, quickly hiding it out of my sight. He winced at the speed he moved it, and that confirmed something was wrong.

"Oh, just get over here," I said, grabbing his elbow and forcing his arm out from behind his back. I looked over at Peter and asked him to tell me what happened.

"Well, we were training and everything, when suddenly this idiot decided to challenge Mikaeleth to a fight. I don't know what he was thinking."

I looked up to from where I was inspecting the wound on Edmund's arm to look in his eyes. "Did you actually do that? What were you thinking! Mikaeleth is one of the most skilled elves we have in the royal guard!"

"Well, you see, he said some things earlier during training that I didn't like very much, so I thought I could try to have a go at him."

"So you decided to challenge him to a fight. Did you actually think you would win? I mean, no offense, you're good and all, but you don't stand a chance against him. What could he have said to make you think that was a good idea?"

"It doesn't matter right now," Edmund responded. I narrowed my eyes at him, but decided to let it go for now.

"Alright, fine. You don't need to tell me right now, but I expect you to tell me later. In the mean time, we need to take you to the infirmary to have them stitch this up."

~~~

It had been a couple of hours since I had dropped Edmund off at the infirmary and I decided to go and try to get some more information out of him as to why he would fight the strongest elf in the guard.

I knocked on his bedroom door and opened it slowly. "Ed? Are you in here?"

"I'm here. You can come in," he said softly. I opened the door the rest of the way and walked in, heading towards his bed. I took a seat beside him and sat there for a moment.

"Do you want to tell me now why you did that earlier today?" I asked. His mouth turned up in a bitter smirk. "Not particularly, no."

I didn't say anything; just stared at the side of his face until he looked over and met my eyes. "He just said something that I didn't like and I decided I would try to get some revenge on him for that by fighting him. That obviously didn't work though."

"You already told me that earlier. Can you be a bit more specific? Please?"

He sighed, then mumbled something under his breath.

"What was that? I couldn't hear you," I said.

"He made some comments about you and I didn't like what he had to say, so I wanted to try and make him pay. It was stupid, I know, but it felt good in the moment."

"You mean until you got sliced open," I said with a smile.

He laughed. "Yeah, that didn't feel too good."

"Edmund, if he says something again, just ignore him. I don't care about what he says or thinks, but I do care that you don't get hurt, okay? Promise me you won't challenge him again?"

He took my hand in his and said, "I promise."