Chapter 5: Friendship

"We cannot go far in friendship, if we are not willing to forgive each other the small flaws."

Jean de la Bruyère

After this first Korean class,Timothy, Tamara, Eric and I continued to get to know each other and discover common points between one another. We are all very different however, I have never got along so well with people who are not from my family and especially not so fast. With them, I feel free, I am not afraid of what they might think of me and I know that they accept me as I am.

Tamara is the nicest girl I know. She always does her best to put everyone at ease, which is why she gets along so well with everyone. Without Gwen, I felt so lost and lonely, but Tamara came into my life like the tornado she is and put back some light into my darkness. If she wasn't there, I'm sure I would have spent the whole year alone in my corner feeling down. However, I have noticed that Tamara is a real paradox: she seems very open but at the same time she is so mysterious! On one hand, she arrives late to almost every class which could be explained by many things: oversleeping, transport problems or even not wanting to come. On the other hand, what I find much less plausible is that she ALWAYS has something urgent to do either after school or on weekends. I know she's hiding something from me and I'm sure Timothy and Eric know what it's all about: Eric really doesn't know how to lie and always looks guilty when I ask him questions regarding this subject. I am not particularly sad that she does not include me in the confidence. We've only known each other for a few months after all. I am already extremely happy that they share their friendship with me. I'm not going to lie by saying i'm not curious because of course I am! However, I can't force someone to do something I do myself: she's not the only one with secrets she doesn't want to share...

Eric is like a male version of Gwen: He's always in a good mood and can't help but make rotten jokes. Tam and Timothy never laugh at his jokes but I can't help it. The dumbest jokes are the funniest, aren't they? When he needs inspiration, he uses Carambar*(1) jokes. Last week he told us the ball joke at least three times:

"Why should we never tell jokes to a balloon?

Because he could burst out laughing!"

When you spend time with Eric, one can't stay sad for very long. His good mood is just contagious. He loves to make fun of my "small" size and has given me the nickname "pequeñita*(2)". You must know that my size is more normal than his! After all, I'm only 0,16 feet shorter than the French average, while he's almost 0,5 feet taller! I know that this comparison makes me look desperate but whatever! I'm not THAT short... I will still admit that when we are standing next to each other, the situation is very funny: we look a bit like Hiyori and Yushin*(3)... When I pointed out the resemblance, I was surprised that he knew the reference. He explained to me that he has always been a manga fan and that he reads them all without discriminating against the type. You will understand that his Shoujo*(4)  appreciation, I immediately gave him a special place in my heart...

Timothy is always an intriguing character to me. Of the four of us, it is the quietest but above all the most observant. He is so attentive to the people around him that he always notices details that no one else would pay attention to. I mean, who would pay attention to someone's short nails? Moreover, who would link them to the fact that they play guitar from the first encounter? He is the kind of person who expresses his feelings through actions and not words. I think that it is his biggest attribute.

"A man's value is measured by his actions. »

Latin proverb; Latin sentences and proverbs

*(1): Caramel candies famous for having jokes written inside the packaging

*(2): Tiny in Spanish

*(3): Main characters of the manga Hiyokoi in which they have a size difference of 50 centimetres.

*(4): a genre of Japanese comics and animated films aimed primarily at a young female audience, typically characterized by a focus on personal and romantic relationships.

Note:
This chapter is quite short but look forward to the next one, it will be longer.