38. no collarbones required

{ July 2, 1985 }

Townes was beginning to think of the Starcourt Mall as her second home

Townes was beginning to think of the Starcourt Mall as her second home. If she was tracked by a GPS, Townes would guess that at least half of her day was spent in the backroom of Scoops Ahoy. Her beacon would only move occasionally, either to grab food for Steve and Robin or to use the bathroom.

Townes wasn't exactly complaining; she loved hanging out with her best friend and her boyfriend. She did wish they didn't work in such a cold store, though. Sometimes, if Townes closed her eyes while inside Scoops Ahoy she felt like she was standing in the freezer section of the grocery store.

Shimmying on a black skirt, Townes stepped into some black pantyhose and yanked them up. She gave herself a quick look in the mirror before the sound of gravel flying from the driveway pulled Townes out of her trance. Waving at the car through her open window, Townes slung her backpack on and walked into the hallway.

Janet was sitting at the kitchen table with a grey pantsuit on, "Is that Steve?"

Last night, Steve called Townes's phone as soon as he got home. Her reaction last night to the armed Russian guards was enough to concern Steve. He offered to give her a ride the next day, and Townes was eager to accept. It was always difficult to find parking close to Steve's car, and she wasn't going to pass up the chance to see Steve. He offered to sneak out and come over, but Townes ended up falling asleep on the phone before he left.

Townes snagged a couple apples from the fruit bowl, "And Robin."

Janet hummed into her coffee cup, "Tell Robin I say hello."

"Hey," Janet called out when Townes swung open the front door. "Did you see Amber at all yesterday?"

Looking over her shoulder, Townes shook her head, "She probably stayed the night at El's or Max's. Their phone numbers are on the fridge if you want to call them."

Setting the coffee cup back onto the kitchen table, Janet waved her eldest daughter goodbye. Townes returned her wave with a mock salute then promptly shut the door behind her. She hopped down the patio steps to Steve's car, unable to contain her excitement. All of the windows were rolled down, including the rear one. Robin's head appeared from the backseat, flashing Townes a bright smile.

About to grab the door handle, Townes saw her boyfriend reach across the passenger seat and press the lock down with his pointer finger. She tried the door handle uselessly and glared at the two when it was proved to be locked.

"I'm sorry," Steve raised his eyebrows at Townes. "I'm here to pick up my girlfriend, not the goth girl from The Breakfast Club."

Instinctively, Townes looked down at her outfit. The jab was warranted; Townes was wearing all black afterall and maybe she had a black beanie in her backpack. But it was all strategic. Townes was doing this for a reason. Jutting out her bottom lip, she looked at Steve, "This is my spy outfit."