just for a moment |rini|

prompt - ricky asks nini to junior prom

⋆⋆⋆

ricky stood pacing around his room while ej looked at him amused. yes, him and ej were hanging out.

junior prom was a few weeks away and ricky had no clue how to formally ask nini. the couple had gotten together on opening night and remained strong. there were a couple bumps, obviously, such as when nini hid her declining the offer from the performing arts school from ricky. but now, ricky was full on panicking, something not good for his anxiety.

"dude relax," ej spoke up.

ricky shook his head. "i can't man. i gotta figure out a way to ask nini to prom."

there was a few moment of silence before ej spoke up again. "here's an idea, dress up like frozone from the incredibles and say something like 'i found my suit but now you need to find a dress" he suggested. ricky shot him a look.

"yeah not my best," ej sighed.

the boys sat there for a couple minutes. "alright i have water polo practice in a half an hour so i gotta go. maybe just right her a song? you're good at that," ej spoke. ricky's eyes widened. "god, why didn't i think of that? thanks man, have fun at practice."

the minute ej walked out of his bedroom, ricky began going through the various folders on his desk which were filled with various lyrics. he suddenly remembered the song he wrote for nini a few days before opening night. however, it was never shown to her. now, the presentation.

__

nini sat in her room on the following saturday when she received a text from ricky. 'you busy?' it read. she quickly texted back with a simple 'nope' before being invited over to ricky's. after notifying her moms on where she was going, nini left her house to go ricky's. not even bothering to knock, nini walked right in.

"ricky?" nini called out but was only met with silence.

however, moments later, ricky replied "upstairs!" nini climbed the steps of the bowen household before slowly pushing on ricky's bedroom door. inside, ricky was sitting on his bed, a guitar next to him and a bouquet of flowers in his hand. nini immediately noticed his leg bouncing excessively.

"w-whats all this?" she stuttered.

"well, these are for you," ricky started, handing her the flowers. they were sunflowers, her favorite kind. "and now, i want you to listen."

"i fell in love with the only girl who knows what i'm about. after all that's said and done, i can't just pretend i'm moving on," ricky sang. he modified the lyrics a bit so they weren't just based on opening night feelings.

"when were underneath the lights my hearts no longer broken. for a moment, just for a moment. when we're singing side by side there's so much left unspoken. for a moment, just for a moment. a moment in love," ricky continued, holding out the last note. nini sat silent, but still smiling.

"i wrote this song before opening night. obviously that's not all the lyrics but i figured i would sing it to you before i asked you to prom," ricky confessed. nini glanced up quickly.

"prom?" she asked making ricky laugh.

"yes, prom, together. unless you don't want to-" ricky quickly rushed. nini silenced him by pressing her lips to his. "i would love to go to prom with you," she mumbled through the many kisses exchanged. ricky just grinned.

⋆⋆⋆

authors note

hi everyone!

this is a short one shot but i thought it was sweet

comment any requests!!

love, rose <3