"The only thing I'll pass is time." I replied.

"Very intellectual conversation and all, but could we speak about something else?" Richie whined.

"Have you seen Beverly?" I asked him. Alyssa looked at me in confusion.

"No, maybe she's sick?" Richie asked, a little concerned.

"Who's Beverly?" Alyssa asked us.

"A good friend of ours, she isn't really in any of our lessons. She has short red hair, so it's easier to spot her in a crowd, because there's not many people here with red hair." I explained.

"I think I saw a girl with short red hair once. It was a few days ago." Alyssa told us.

"Yeah, that's probably her. There's no reason to worry, maybe she's just really busy." I reassured Richie, but it sounded more like I was reassuring myself.

I had a bad feeling in my gut and I realized something was wrong. I had not felt this sensation since the clown had Derry under it's control back in 1989.

~

There was a red balloon floating outside all by itself. Maybe a kid lost it? Damn, poor kid. I directed my gaze back to the table and suddenly got a slight chill in my bones. Something wasn't quite right, but I ignored it, thinking my stomach hurt from slouching my back.

~

"Hey, Y/N, you all right?" A hand waving in front of my face snapped me back to reality.

"Yes, I'm fine." I lied, hoping I sounded convincing enough. I hid my smile due to the irony that was happening.

~

"What's wrong?" I asked Beverly, examining her face expressions.

"It's nothing," She lied and refused to make eye contact.

"Bev, when girls say 'I'm fine' or 'It's nothing', the statements are often false 100% of the time." I gave her a stern mom look.

~

"Alyssa, why don't you skip the lesson with us?" Richie offered.

"You didn't even ask if I was going to come with you!"  I complained.

"Well, you always come with me," Richie winked and I rolled my eyes with a grin on my face.

"Are you guys close friends?" Alyssa asked, interrupting whatever inappropriate comment Richie was about to make.

"Been since first grade. The first thing she asked me was: 'Why is your face so weird?'  I won't forgive you for that, N/N." Richie crossed his arms and faked an offended look.

"Your face is still weird-"

"HEY!"

"I think we should go to French now, everyone's already leaving," Alyssa pointed out the students, who were leaving the cafeteria.

"You go ahead, I won't ditch Richie this time, sorry. Don't rat me out to the teacher, though," I pleaded.

"I won't." Alyssa simply said, stood up and walked out of the cafeteria.

"To our hideout place?" I asked Richie as we made our way out of the cafeteria.

"No, outside. I need to smoke," Richie replied, looking at the floor like it was the most interesting thing he had seen in his whole lifetime.

"Rich, I thought you quit smoking!" I whisper-yelled at him.

"It's not that easy, N/N." He sighed. I stayed silent, knowing that speaking in this situation right now wasn't appropriate.

We got outside of school through an exit that nobody was guarding and made our way to a secure place. There was nobody around, so we sat down on the ground by a tree. Richie took a cigarette, lit it up and inhaled it. I looked away, not wanting to see anymore of his health sabotaging.

We sat in silence for a moment as Richie used the cigarette. I sighed, trying to think of a conversation topic. Although he didn't show it, Richie was fragile and I didn't want to touch a sensitive topic, but I had to do this at one point or another.

"Have your parents ever hugged you?" I asked him and he looked at me with a curious gaze.

"No, not really, why?" He asked with a slight deeper voice.

"I'm not a hugger and you know that, but you need one, so come 'ere," I hugged him. He didn't make any reaction for a moment, probably thinking I was high doing something so out of character. Then he hugged back.

The hug was nice and warm and I contemplated why I hadn't liked hugs before. He moved his head towards the crook of my neck, tightened his grip around me and sighed. I could tell he had not been given affection before.

"Did a demon possess you? Give me back the real Y/N, you demon!" Richie shrieked and I laughed.

"You can't be serious for more than two minutes, can you?" I grinned at him.

"Richie Tozier is my name and doing voices is my game."

***

This chapter was kind of rushed, I'm sorry. I'll try to make the next chapter better, but I'm not promising anything.