CHAPTER 55: You attention-sucking bitch

Comincia dall'inizio

Woah.

Excuse me?

"What the fuck did you say?" Her eyes widen at my outburst but I beat her to it before she commences on some lecture. "One, I don't give two flying fucks about my drinking. It's not like it's regular but I don't need to explain that to you. Second, Draven's gay. Surprise! Learn to swallow it and move on like an open-minded person." I hiss and glare at her, furious at her accusing words at Draven.

"Summer-

"Shut up, Jason. Honestly, I've had enough of your mommy-sappiness. Open your eyes and think about this properly. Do you really think she's come back after 17 fucking years to just know us? Why does she have a fucking problem with Draven being gay? He can-

"You knew?" He asks and closes his eyes, taking in a deep breath and sighing loudly. I swallow and stare at him dead in the eye.

"Yes, I know. If you guys would get out of your bubbles, you would know too. And you," I turn towards her and smirk inwardly at her fuming face, "I don't think I have to repeat myself, right? You have no right waltzing back into our lives just to taunt us. You're saying your kids have gone astray? Well, where were you when we were making big life decisions? Where were you when I needed a parent in my life to scold me and snatch the wine bottle out of my hand? Where were you when Draven realized his sexuality? Where were you when Jason became captain? Where were you when Aaron needed someone to hit him upside the head for hooking up with so many girls?" I ask her – more like whisper – as a pang of pain hits my chest and a tear slips down my cheek. I hastily wipe it away and I open my mouth to say something else but Aaron's roar stops me immediately. He comes out of the corridor with a bag in his hand and I start wondering when he walked away.

He stands in front of me, an exasperated look on his face.

"You need to see this." He breathes out and I look at the astonished woman standing next to me,  freeze at his words. He digs into the bag and removes a newspaper, shoving it in my hands. Next, he hands me a photograph and finally, some kind of document. My eyes get stuck on the photograph first, taking in a woman and a man posing romantically in some kind of garden. I surely do recognize the woman but the identity of the man remains a mystery. My hands shakily hold the newspaper – the same newspaper that published the fake news of Caleb and me at his father's party. Our photo is indeed the center of attention, published proudly on the front page.

"Aaron, what is that?" Draven asks, taking a few steps towards us and snatching the photograph and newspaper out of my shivering hands. I finally open the document and it seems like some legal papers but I don't bother reading them.

"What...what is this, Aaron?"

"You were right." He tells me and closes his eyes, opening them to glare at our so-called mother. "Let me explain all this. That document is why she is here." She gulps and stares at Aaron warily.

"I don't understand. It's some legal shit." I point out as Draven keeps on reading the document.

"Draven, why don't you explain what is written in there?" Aaron says, his vexed eyes still fixated on her.

"It...it says that on June 15th, our...our trust fund matures," Draven mumbles, furrowing his eyebrows at the document continuously.

June 15th, my birthday?

"But my-

"Yeah, your birthday. You'll turn 18 and the trust fund that dad left us is finally maturing on that date. The reason is this. This is why she is here. And that newspaper is how she found out where we live after seeing your name and photo. My question is, who is this?" Aaron asks her, pointing towards the stranger in the photograph.