xxii. the enlightenment

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"So, dinner?" Lisa prompted.

"Yeah, I'll come pick you up."

"Okay, I'll be going now."

"I love you." I uttered as I felt my cheeks go warm.

She took a second before responding, "I love you, my Kim."

You hear that? That's what home sounds like. I internally gushed over the thought as I entered the car and traveled to Greenwich Village.

...

The drive was so unproductively long that I had enough time to sort out my reports for the upcoming week. I even had the time to call Jisoo who was at Monaco spending her fortune. Although I'm always used to have her as the pesky best friend that I have. I'm just glad that she approved of Lisa, considering her impeccable taste. See how much you can do under a 45 minute venture.

Before visiting Lisa's outdoor magazine shooting, I came across a small coffee shop resting in between two large buildings. The brewing aroma caught my senses quickly so I knew I had to enter that place. Inside felt formidably different, the ambiance was settling, and the sun just gave enough light to make the place warm.

There were wooden french tables and chairs coated in lament turquoise, hanging decorative garden pots at the ceiling, two framed white window panes, small to medium size paintings complimented the palette patterned wallpapers and the counter was like a homely kitchen of a family of ten.

But much to interest, I have put mine into a certain painting.

"Here for coffee?" A bright voice fiddled me from my attention, and as I turned my eyes to the counter, I saw an old lady, probably on her 50s, wiping her petulant mugs on her hands as she wears a welcoming smile. She must be the owner, I thought as I approached her.

"Yes. I would like a hot cappuccino, please." I quickly said. She nodded in response as she kept herself busy again inside the counter, preparing my drink.

"Are you new here, darling?" She then asked, probably wanting a gaily conversation with me.

"Kind of. I don't visit Greenwich that much since I'm from New York." I answered as I found myself tipping off my fingers, surprisingly agitated at the moment. "I-I'm Jen by the way." I frontally introduced myself.

"Is that so?" The lady tilted her head on the side as she shot a dubious look at me, like she wasn't feeling unfamiliarity. Her eyes kneaded mine, evidently observing me.

"Well, you can call me Ella, dear." She then responded. "And where I've come from is farther than yours." She cocks her head and chuckled in amusement.

My eyebrows snapped in curiosity, "Oh, where are you from then?"

"Deauville. France. Well, it's been twenty years since I went back there." She revealed.

"What made you stay here?" I continued to interrogate.

She paused as she took a long second to look at me and sheepishly smile, "I had to wait for someone. Just to make sure that what I've been believing as a kid was true."

"What a strong belief." I injected with animosity.

"Well, my parents taught me convincing fairytales." She supported her thought.

"Have you met that someone already?"

"I'm uncertain, but i feel like i have." Her orbs dilated in a way that was intimidating me and I was very foreign to that.

"Can I ask you about something?" I clasped my hands together. Hoping she would agree. "Anything, Jen." She gladly nodded.

"Do you know those people from the painting?" I muttered as I pointed my index finger to the wall across our view. There stood the painting that boggled my mind.