Chapter 4

Chapter 4- long time later

Grace's POV

Six days. That's how long it's been. My ribs are burning. I'm hungry. I've hungry and needed to throw up, but my stomach is empty. The bruises I received turned a yellowish purple color. The cuts I received have either scabbed and faded away or are turning into scars adding to the others I already have. I'm broken like Humpty Dumpty and I probably can never be fixed. I wish Em was here. I closed my eyes as somebody walked into the alley.

(Time change)

Emily's POV

She's been gone for a month. I'm worried about her. With her past she should have a person to lean on. She was sweet and deserved nothing she had gotten in her life. She didn't deserve to be abandoned or beaten and raped. I admitted to myself that I had a crush on her. I couldn't get rid of the feelings I had when I thought of her.

My parents returned yesterday and they noticed my odd behavior. Something pounded on the front door. My mom walked to it slowly opened it. Kyla burst into the house.

"Can I speak with Emily." I was there less than ten seconds later. "They found her." We were out the door and in a car fast, leaving my mom confused.

"Where is she?"

"Hospital." she answered with worry.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I got a call from the police saying they found her again and that she was in the hospital." I couldn't stay still. Before we even parked I opened the door and ran inside.

"I'm here to see Grace. I think she came in earlier this month."

"Does she look around 16 or 17?"

"Yeah."

"Second floor room 67."

"Thank you" I ran to the elevator. The door was closing but I slammed my foot between the doors before the closed. It opened up again. Some people inside were staring at me. I ignored them and pressed 2. Thirty seconds later I'm out and running down the hallways looking for room 67. I saw it and there were two people outside of it. One was the doctor and another was a nurse.

"How is she?" I asked without even introducing myself.

"She's asleep right now. She hasn't woken up since she was found. We believe that she was beaten and raped. We estimate that this happened a month ago. Maybe less." My mouth dried. He continued to talk not noticing what his words were doing to me. "She has many bruise and scars forming and she seems to have broken ribs."

"Can I see her?" He opens the door and I walk in. There Grace was laying on the bed in a hospital gown. I grab a chair and place it beside her. I grab her hand as I sit down.

"Please wake up. Por favor levanter." I murmur. I speak Spanish whenever I get worried or angry. She doesn't wake. I stare at her. She looks so peaceful. Her arms were covered with bruises and scars that I never noticed. I checked her legs. They had not as many bruises but just as many scars. Her face has a long jagged scar on her cheek. Kyla walks in. She gasps and tears come to her face.

"Oh my god, Grace." We sit there for a long time. Kyla went to get us food leaving me alone with Grace.

"I'm so sorry Grace." I kissed her lips and was so surprised when she reacted. Her arms went around my neck pulling me closer. The heart monitor was beating rapidly. I pulled away panting. She stared at me. I got up to leave.

"Emily!" she called out but I was out in the hall already. Nurses went to check her. Kyla was around the corner. When she saw me outside the room and nurses swarming in she ran over to me.

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah" I answered. The doctor came out. Kyla went over to talk to him. She ran inside the room as I walked closer back to the room. I looked inside the room to see Grace throwing up again in a waste bin that a nurse is holding in front of her mouth. Kyla is holding her hair back. Honestly I didn't want to see this but I couldn't. I have this feeling that something was wrong. She stopped after a while. Her eyes went to me and widened. She tried to get out of the bed but groaned. She was laid back and strapped down. They took some small vials of blood and left. She was un-strapped and she sat back up.

"Emily get out of the room please." Kyla said. Her arms were around Grace.

"But."

"No buts. Leave." Her voice was firm. Her attention turned back to Grace and she started to tell her something as I walked out. I closed the door but looked through the small window. Tears streamed down Grace's face as Kyla spoke.

Then Grace started to speak. Kyla listened to everything. When Grace finished Kyla said something back to her. Graces hands covered her mouth. The doctor came back with papers in his hand. He opened the door. He spoke to them and Kyla's eyes started to tear up too. The doctor asked something and Grace shook her head. He asked something else. She nodded to this. He left her there with Kyla. I walked out of the hospital and didn't come back for another week.