78

chapter seventy-eight; real life

"Reece-"

He throws his hands up in frustration.

"Just shut up already! I don't want to hear anymore from you."

She stares at him in shock.

"First you show up at the studio, now my house? What are you trying to do?"

"I already told you. I-"

"It's never going to happen."

"It already did."

"No, it didn't."

He opens up the front door. "Get out of my house."

"But-"

"Emma, you've already done enough. I don't even know if Leanna is ever going to-"

"I think that she should leave town with the kids, and never see you again. We can start over, have a family of our own."

She takes a step towards him, running her hand up his arm. He pushes her arm off, grabbing her wrist and pulling her outside.

"How many times do I have to tell you? We're done Emma. There's no us."

"But-"

He slams the door, walking back to the living room and sitting on the couch. There were a couple empty beer bottles laying around, but not enough to get him drunk.

He wanted all of this to be over. He wanted Emma to leave him and his family alone. He wanted the pain to go away.

"Are you kidding me? Why the fuck are you here?!"

Reece perks up at the sound of her voice, completely forgetting about his and Leanna's arrangement.

He gets up, running out the front door in time to see Leanna heading back to her car, Hunter walking behind her.

"Leanna!"

"What do you want?"

Hunter turns around, smiling at Reece. "Dada!"

"What do I want? I want to see my son. I want you back."

"Not when she's over." She looks over at Emma, who was smirking at Leanna.

"I didn't plan for her to come over. I never-"

"Then why did you text me? You claimed that you missed me."

Reece stares at Emma in shock. He should've known that she was going to pull something like this.

"I never texted you about anything. You showed up here. Unwanted."

Emma's smile falters for a second, but she shakes it off and takes a step towards Reece.

"Just consider my offer, okay?"

"I don't even have to consider it to give you an answer."

"Is it a yes?"

"It's a no."

Emma smirks, turning towards Leah. "Now, if I were you, I would take those two and skip town. Maybe go to LA with Emily for a little bit. I know you two tend to do that."

Leanna glares at her. "I'm not listening to you."

"It was just a suggestion."

"Take your suggestions elsewhere. Like maybe hell? That sounds like a nice place for you."

Emma huffs, clearly not satisfied with the fact that Leanna just told her to go to hell.

"I'll be back tomorrow, okay? Then you and I can talk about everything." She opens up the car door, lifting Hunter up into his car seat.

"Leanna, wait. I-"

"I said I'll be back tomorrow."

"No!"

She turns around, staring at him. "Have you been drinking?"

"What?"

"You're doing that thing with your hands when you've been drinking."

Reece shoves his hands into his pockets. "I had two beers. I'm not even tipsy."

"You're supposed to be watching hunter, and you drink?"

"I promise you I'm not drunk."

She stares at him even more. "Go inside."

"What? Why?"

"I'll be there in a second. I need to deal with her first."

Reece stands there for a second, confused.

"Are you going inside or not?"

"Uh, yea."

He walks inside, leaving the front door unlocked. Luna greets him this time, wagging her tail excitedly.

Leanna comes inside a few minutes later, setting hunter on the ground and letting him run towards Luna.

"What's going on?"

"We're talking."

"Really?"

She nods. "But first, you're going to drink some more."

"But if I'm supposed to be watching hunter-"

"I'll be staying here tonight."

Reece's heart skips a beat.

"But why do you want me to drink more?"

"Because if there's anything I've learned about you, you don't know how to keep your mouth shut when you've had a bit too much to drink."

"So you're getting me drunk to tell you what I've already told you?"

"And other things."

"Other things?"

"You'll see."

"Uh, okay."

Reece stands up, walking towards the kitchen and grabbing another bottle from the fridge.

"I don't like this idea. What if something happens to you and the baby, and I'm unable to do anything?"

"Reece, we still have two more months before she's supposed to get here. I think we're good."

He sighs. "Fine."

"Now, while you're drinking, I'm gonna put hunter to bed."

Leanna walks off, and Reece stares at the bottle.

He hadn't realized how long he had been staring at it until Leanna came back and sat next to him on the couch.

"Leanna, if you really want me to do this, I will, but I'm not sure if it's the best idea."

Leanna nods. "I wasn't actually going to make you do it."

"What?"

"I was joking."

He chuckles. "Fuck off."

She smiles at him, a slight pain in her heart.