Just great, I thought. If I had any idea what awaited me at the pond I would have ran to it as fast as I could.

        When I got the pond, the clouds over head where a blue gray color like it was about to rain.  Sure enough, five minutes later it started to drizzle lightly, and I had to put Katie's diary in my shirt to keep it dry. But after about ten minutes the rain had had enough and moved on to another pond some where.

        I opened the diary and sat down on the slippery bank and read my favorite entry.

        "It's the fourth of July!  Burgers, hot dogs, and apple pie for every one! I'm going to meet Mitchell in an hour! God, he's hot!  I wonder what I should where: flip-flops or tennis shoes. , T-shirt or dress shirt. , tights or jeans. I' m so confused because one minute Mitchell likes girls that where T-shirts and jeans and the next he likes pretty girls who where dresses to school. I never do that because school is uncomfortable enough without worrying about guys looking up your skirt or your panty-hose riding up. Anyway I hope everything works out! Ha Ha. Tell you more later! Bye."

          "Who's Mitchell?" I asked into open air for the thousandth time.

        Then the most unexpected thing happened, a voice answered me back.

        "He is an old memory" said a distinctly female voice, kind of a cute voice to tell you the truth.

        "What? Who are you?" I asked with absolutely no fear in my voice. The girl's cute voice took the fear out of everything.

        "My name is Katie. I believe you have something that belongs to me", she said but she didn't seem mad. She stepped out from behind the tree that I was leaning against. She was wearing a red hoodie and cargo capris. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail with a white holder.

        I handed her the diary. "I've been looking for this for months. Did you read it?" she asked looking straight at me.

        "Um, Uh" I said smartly.

        "I see. Was it interesting?" she asked expectantly.

        "Um, yes! No! No! Uh?" I stumbled. Give me a brake. I have never met a real girl in my life. I didn't know what to say.

        "Why are you stuttering, What ever your name is", she said with laughter in her bright green eyes.

        "Well I've never met a girl like you before" I said.

        "What do you mean?" she asked with an almost hurt voice.

        "Have you been watching the news lately?" I asked.

        "Yes, why?" she asked like it was a weird question to be asked at a muddy pond in the middle of a rain storm.

        "Well, you know that rich family that is always on there doing things for the city?" I asked bracing myself for when she would recognize me from the news and start being like all those fake friends.

        "The Bradfords?" she asked.

        "Yes. Well, I'm Shane Bradford. I have never spoken to girl that hasn't been a total spoiled brat."

        "Oh, that's awful. And you are seventeen?" she said grimly.

        "In two weeks!" I said excitedly remembering the closeness of my birthday.

          "Awesome! I turned sixteen two months ago", she said.

        "Oh well, happy late birthday", I replied.