01 - delusional

Yeonjun found Taehyun sitting alone at the cafeteria. He was glad they had the same lunch period, and was about to make a sprint to sit at Taehyun's table, until he was already dragged by three different people to a table.

Keeping up his reputation, Yeonjun easily fell into a conversation with some people who he most likely knew, for about a week, before forgetting them like pretty much everyone else. Except Beomgyu, he was Yeonjun's only real friend.

He managed to escape when he said he was going to get on the 'lunch line' but instead easily sat across from Taehyun. "Hey." Yeonjun flashed Taehyun a smile.

Taehyun looked up from his book, looking around as if he was questioning whether someone was speaking to him or not. When his gaze fell upon Yeonjun's grinning face, he easily rolled his eyes, before going back to reading his book.

"Its rude to not pay attention when someone's not speaking to you, you know." Yeonjun said, growing impatient. This all seemed like a horrible clichè where the 'bad boy' could get anyone he wanted, except, the only who couldn't resist his charms was the 'nerd'.

Except Yeonjun wasn't really a bad guy. He just had the sort of extrovert charisma who could attract anyone and make friends, albeit fake, in seconds.

Taehyun sighed, closing his book, and he looked like he had a few things to say to Yeonjun, except Choi Soobin, or as Beomgyu and Yeonjun would privately call him, 'Clout¹' pressed himself right up against Yeonjun.

Hueningkai, nicknamed 'Chaser¹' took a seat next to Soobin, an uncomfortable smile plastered all over his face.

"Hi Yeonjun!" Soobin greeted, too loudly and enthusiastically for fourth period lunch.

Yeonjun plastered a fake smile on his face. "Soobin, hi. Hueningkai too."

Hueningkai gave off a small shy wave.

"Yeonjun's here?" called one of the guys who Yeonjun was previously hanging out with. Yeonjun mentally cursed Choi Soobin for being such a tall clout chaser, and Hueningkai too, who you could spot from a mile away due to how he resembled an actual stick.

Yeonjun stole a glance at Taehyun, who looked very much unsettled, going back to reading his book.

"Yeah, I'm here." Yeonjun smiled, and immediately, three people who sat down next to Taehyun, almost pushing the fragile boy out his seat.

"Weren't you on the lunchline?" asked someone who Yeonjun just vaguely remembered as Dongju². "Oh, I already ate." excused Yeonjun with a wave of his hand.

He heard Taehyun snort at his lie, and for some reason that brung a smile to Yeonjun's face.

Clout, who needed to be in everything and know everyone immediately perked up, as if just realizing Taehyun was there.

"Whose that?" he pointed a finger straight at Taehyun. Taehyun, looked up, and closed his book. "Oh, he's in Math with Yeonjun and I." Chaser answered. "Taehyun, I think."

Yeonjun rolled his eyes. He knows he does this, and he probably shouldn't be judging, but it's not hard to ask for someone's name! That was just plain disrespectful!

He looked back at Clout and Chaser, with a disapproving look for a split second, and then back to where Taehyun was seeing to find the boy wasn't there; as if he were part of a disappearing act.

Someone already took his place, reminding Yeonjun that this would just be temporary. Taehyun would just be temporary, so why would he should put in any effort if he's going to be like everyone else?

Yeonjun wants to find out.

Yeonjun doesn't know much about Taehyun.

He knows Taehyun is from his Math class. He knows Taehyun helps put the trays back in the cafeteria. He was sure Taehyun was the only one who said 'Thank you' to the lunch ladies too. He knows Taehyun ranks number three in schoolwide grades. Its almost funny how Yeonjun is third from the last.

Its like they're integers of each other. And integers work out. Kind of. They have the same absolute value, right? Why wouldn't this work out?

Yeonjun doesn't know a lot about Taehyun, but he knows enough. At least he thinks he does.

He's dated plenty of people who he's only known the name and face of, and what their lips feel like. That's all you need to know to get into a relationship; at least Yeonjun thinks so. These things aren't serious. Its high school for fuck's sake, anyone expecting something is delusional.

Now, sitting on his bed, notebook and pen on his lap, Yeonjun is wondering if Taehyun is delusional.

He could be.

But he doesn't seem delusional. He's smart; third from the first is a big deal, especially in a school as prestigious and with a big population such as theirs.

Taehyun did come off strong by saying he's not interested. That's delusional. Maybe Taehyun is delusional.

But Yeonjun isn't.

They're graduating soon, there's no way he can keep a relationship through college. Yeonjun doesn't mix with delusional, and maybe he'd wrong for this, but he wants to know what it's like to be with someone delusional. To tell each other those half promises and empty words of staying together forever.

If Yeonjun knows something out of the many things he doesn't, he knows that nothing is permanent.

Looking back at his notebook, Yeonjun scribbles down quick notes on how to deal with Taehyun. Maybe he's doing the most, but that's okay, because you can't answer curiosity by not taking any action.

i know explaining a joke is lame but haha here's the explanation

clout and chaser¹: clout is soobin's nickname because he's always searching for clout he can take and chaser is kai's nickname because he's always following clout aka soobin

Dongju²: Son Dongju (Xion) from boygroup Oneus.

p.s stan oneus