Picking Up the Captain

Start from the beginning

“Yes.”

“That's fantastic! I'll go get my stuff right now!” she scatters out of the room leaving the bipedal bear by his lonesome.

“What happened to your hair Amina?!” Tevy screeches causing Amina to flinch. “Why did you dye your hair?!”

“I didn't dye it.”

“Then why is it black?”

“Because I ate a devil fruit and gained its abilities,” she candidly states.

“Are you some idiot? Now you'll never be able to swim!”

“Answer me something. Have I ever been able to swim?”

The younger girl pauses, pondering the thought. “You swim as well as any rock.”

“So what's the problem?”

The younger shook her head. “I guess there isn't much of one.”

“Since you are now one of my crew I need to know everything about you,” the raven haired man tells her as he sits down at his desk and motions for her to sit as well.

She does as she is told and asks, “well what do you want to know?”

“Start from the beginning, such as where you are from, etc.”

“In all honesty, I don't remember much. I remember living with her...” she pauses without realizing and starts to nibble on her lip. She shakes her head and continues, “anyway, she left when I was about nine-years-old and Tevy and I were picked up by Captain Mallory and sailed on the Crimson Kiss until we disbanded about five years ago. Tev decided that she wanted to be a vet so she self-taught herself and we've been traveling place to place ever since.”

“Who is she?” he questions.

“She is my elder sister,” Amina whispers, clenching her jaw at the thought. Why did you leave? I have to know!

“What's your favorite pass time?”

“My what?”

“A pass time is what you like to do when you have time off,” he explains.

“I know what a pass time is. Why do you want to know?”

“I want to know everything about my crew.”

She blinks and gives him a blank look.

“Well?”

“I can't think of any.”

“What do you usually do when you have time to relax?”

“Sleep,” she states flatly.

“Your favorite color?”

She pauses, “green.”

“Favorite food?”

She licks her lips, “I can't decide.”

“Tell me a few then.”

Why is this starting to sound like some therapy session? Like when the therapist gets to know the patient before they ask “how are you feeling?” “Let's see... custard filled doughnuts with chocolate icing, german chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, sugar in general, rock candy, lollipops, suckers, and yes there is a difference between the two...”

Law raises an eyebrow. So about the only thing she does know is that she has a sweet tooth.

“Oh and lots of milk! Anything else Captain?”

He writes down something his journal and looks up. “Nothing that I can think of at the moment.”

Amina lets out a loud yawn, showing her fangs.

“Tired?”

“I feel so sluggish the last few days. Yesterday I found myself curled into a ball on the deck, sunbathing. I hate the sun! I'd never purposely bask in it,” the baffled teen informs.

“Could it be side effects from eating your devil fruit?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean you're having cat naps.”

“How long has she been there?” Shachi asks.

“I don't know. Are you sure she's alive?” Penguin replies.

“Why don't you check?”

“Are you nuts if she is she'll scratch my face off!” Penguin retorts.

“If she's a cat then where are her clothes?” Shachi wonders with a dreamy look on his face.

“What are you two idiots discussing?” Amina inquires from behind them, causing them to jump and turn around.

“Ah! Amina! Wai-” they look at the long haired orange cat and then back at her.

She cocks her head to the side and blinks. “Did you think that was me or something?”

“Uhh...”

“You two spend too much time together. You keep saying the same things at the same time,” she giggles and left the pair.

“There are too many cats on this island,” Shachi mutters.

“Yeah... how did it get on the ship though?” Penguin wonders.

“Do we have to leave already?” Tevy whines while looking out at all the cats that are lined up at the dock.

“Yes we do Tev,” Amina replies and enters the death trap. “Come on,” she shouts from inside. I wonder how different it will be living on this ship permanently?... wait permanently? What am I thinking? I'm only staying on long enough to find her.

“Miss Zahara will you quit zoning out and get to work,” Law orders.

“What am I suppose to do?” When we she informed of these orders?

“Work on the laundry and sweep the floors.”

“What am I your house wife or something?” Amina snaps. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I should get stuck with those jobs. Ugh!

“I guess you are for now,” he retorts, looking her up and down. “Then again if I had a wife she'd be more attractive.”

“Gee thanks,” she sarcastically replies. “Like you're a looker yourself.”

He smirks. “Are you saying I'm not?”

“That's exactly what I'm saying.”

He raises an eyebrow at her. “Whatever you say.”

“You don't believe me Captain?”

“Not at all.”

“I bet I could get a guy before you could get a girl,” she teases playfully and sticks out her tongue.

“Fine,” he agrees.

“Fine what?” she asks, putting her tongue back into her mouth.

“It's a bet.”

“What are we wagering?” Amina asks, her curiosity peeking.

“Do you have any ideas?”

“Winner gets the loser to do whatever they ask, no matter what it is.”

He smirks. “You're going to regret it.”

“Just come up with the rules and inform me later,” she states and goes to do her work.